jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 06-14-2014
micro ATX User

Default Recommned PSU for rig with no video card

I plan on building a rig with the following specs:

Intel i5-4690
Asrock Z97 Extreme4
16GB (2x8GB) 1600 RAM
480GB Sandisk Extreme II SSD
1TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD
1 LG Bluray Burner

It will not be overclocked nor will it have a video card. It will primarily be used for Office work. There is a small chance that an entry level video card will be added in the future. But, this will only be done if the integrated GPU on the Intel processor isn't up to the task.

I am looking for a PSU that is very quiet or almost silent when the rig is idle or when the user is just using basic office apps. Ideally, the fan won't spin at all 90-95% of the time. Budget is around $130 AUD. Would prefer to spend less if possible.

I was initially thinking about getting the Corsair RM450 PSU, but after reading some negative posts about it from various places on the internet, I am now a bit hesitant. I think I read somewhere that the capacitors used aren't the best and may not last much longer after the warranty period.

After reading a few threads on this forum, it would seem the Cooler Master V Series is a good and cheaper alternative. Unfortunately, in Australia, they only sell the V650S model or higher. Does anybody know what the efficiency would be on the V650S at low loads (i.e. when idle or when browsing with microsoft word opened)? Does anybody know when the fan will start spinning?

Another Gold rated PSU that they sell at my local PC store (http://www.msy.com.au) is the Antec True Power Classic series. Now, they do sell the 450W version at the store. As I understand, this PSU is not modular and I will need to find a way to manager the excess cables. Can anybody comment on the acoustics of this unit? I read somewhere that it can be rather loud at load. Can anybody comment on the acoustics of the 450W model?

From these two reviews:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/C...r/V550S/6.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/TP-750C/6.html

it would seem the CoolerMaster V Series have greater efficiency at extremely low loads than the Antec TPC series. Is my interpretation correct?

If I can't get a Gold rated PSU, I was thinking of the Antec HCG 520M. Any comments on this? I know it's only bronze rated, but it's modular and has been around for a while.

Are there any other PSUs I should consider. I will most likely be buying from this store:

http://www.msy.com.au

They don't stock Seasonic or XFX PSUs.

Comments appreciated.
Old 06-14-2014
Flux Capacitor User

Yeah, you will never need 200 watts.

There is a reason 300 watt PSU exist.

Find a supplier of SEASONIC. They exist in Australia.

SeaSonic SSR-360GP is a fine choice, or an OEM 300-350 model.
Old 06-14-2014
Flux Capacitor User

another option

http://www.netplus.com.au/product/PW...r_Power_Supply

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu...652_Report.pdf

Does anybody know what the efficiency would be on the V650S at low loads (i.e. when idle or when browsing with microsoft word opened)? Does anybody know when the fan will start spinning?

Yes, very good low wattage, see graph above, and very, very quite.

see bellow:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/C.../V550S/10.html
Old 06-14-2014
Flux Capacitor User

Don't belive what some weird persons in some small forums tell you.
All you need is a decent 300W unit, no need to go up to 550W, even if they tell you that...

Or go for 750W when you put a videocard in your PC...

What's available in the 300W range in your area?
Old 06-14-2014
Retired reviewer

Go with a Truepower classic 450W - it's about as good as you'll get form MSY. Otherwise, one of these - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=25375 from PCCaseGear is a bit cheaper and would suit your PC just fine too.

EDIT: Don't worry about the noise on either of them - with no graphics card, you won't be able to push one of them hard enough to make the fan speed up. The seasonics are almost dead silent under light loads.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 06-15-2014
micro ATX User

Being in Adelaide, anything other than mainstream components will need to be shipped in from interstate. The only PSU (other than those that come with cases) in the 300-400 Watt range available locally is the Corsair VS350. The Seasonic G-360 can be orderered in for $79 + $15-$20 postage. This puts it in the same price range as the Antec TPC 450W ($95 from MSY). The Cooler Master can be acquired locally for $130, which was why I was considering it. I guess their just isn't much demand for efficient low wattage PSUs. Hence, the lack of choices.
Old 06-15-2014
Retired reviewer

Ah, I forgot about the extra freight cost. Go with the TPC 450, then. It's just a non-modular version of the Seasonic G-450.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 06-15-2014
I'm Batman!

Also, you don't need a Z97 board if don't plan on overclocking, you can get a H97 with exactly the same features, minus the OC capabilities.

THE H97 Performance is $60 cheaper at MSY.
Old 06-15-2014
200W User

I always use a Corsair CX430 in builds I do for friends that are basic and dont use a GPU or are very light duty. Theyre hard to beat for the money and can usually be found for around $40 shipped.

Got all 9's from JG. Corsair CX430 Review
Old 06-16-2014
Retired reviewer

^
I won't touch a CX unless I plan to recap it, or to repair an older PC which I expect to be retired within 3 years anyway.