jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 02-10-2012
200W User

Default Add2PSU

So, I've been pondering the idea of two PSU's...

Anyway, I found this little device, and wondered if you guys had heard of it, or, had any opinions?

To me, it looks like a terribly cheap device to make, but, they want ~ $20.00 for it.

Well, just thought I'd toss this out there, and see what you guys thought.

http://www.add2psu.com/

Edit #2: I put this in the wrong place, sorry. If you guys are fine with it, cool. If not, please feel free to move it. Thanks.

Last edited by Osoloco; 02-10-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Just realized that thread's in the wrong place
Old 02-10-2012
Site Founder

Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,187 Posts

I, for one, would just buy a bigger PSU. What's the point of using two 600W power supplies when a good 1200W can do the same thing more efficiently.

$20 is way too much money. I've made a similar device using a Bosch relay out of an old VW. You take the +12V and ground off of one Molex of the main PSU. Attach this to the on/off terminals (85 & 86). When the main PSU is turned on, and there is +12V on the Molex, the relay is energized and terminals 30 and 87 are switched over.

You can cascade this indefinitely. Chinese versions of the Bosch relay can be bought at any auto parts store for about $3. They're 20A relays so they're horrible overkill, but so cheap and easy to obtain.

You can buy smaller, cheaper relays from Mouser, Digikey, etc., but they need to be PCB mounted. An automotive relay has a tab on it can just screw down onto the chassis somewhere.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Old 02-11-2012
200W User

Thanks for your input, Jonny.

I just bought a Gigabyte G1. Assassin, or here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128472 and it has two 8-pin connectors for the CPU. So, I was just letting my imagination run...

I have the board in a case (new, virgin case, Thor V2, Rosewill), but I haven't pulled my HX1000 from my other computer, yet. I'm thinking that the 8-pin connectors are the same as the PCI-E/VGA/for the video card, but, I'm not too sure, at this time. Moreover, I'm guessing that I don't have to use both 8-connectors? I'm not going to be overclocking the CPU, much. I got the board for the spacing between VGA's.

Anyway, I'm thinking that this might be a good excuse to buy a new PSU, but, I also thought it would be fun to connect two smaller PSU's together. Behold, I'm sure that this will NOT be my last stupid idea.

I noticed that the AX1200 are on sale, over @ Newegg/15% off... Somebody stop me!!!

Edit:

Here's the case, "just in case", lol, somebody is interested: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147053

The case is pretty damn nice... Of course, being that the board is an XL ATX, I had to be mindful of the case/size of the interior.
Old 02-11-2012
Naughty

The 8-pin EPS12V is most certainly not identical to the 8-pin PCI-E connector.

You don't have to use both, and you got it right, you only need both when heavily overclocking. Moreover, there are quite a few PSUs with two 8-pin CPU connectors, usually done as 1x 8-pin + 1x 4+4-pin.