jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 06-19-2018
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
I thinketh not
Windows 10 can use more power than Windows 7 on identical hardware but it will also use less power in general. Windows10 has a broader range more or less, as the OS can shut more things down while still being functional to save on power usage but in high performance mode it will have more services running than Windows 7 did, and thus use more power.

In a desktop environment it's pretty much negligible though. More of a concern for something like a tablet or laptop.
Old 06-19-2018
500W User

Max and min power draw should be hw imposed unless there are compatibility issues. Power management on other hand can be very much OS dependent, but this generally isn't too much of a concern in a desktop computer at least compared to mobile devices.
vega 64
512gb samsung 850 pro
Corsair RM1000i
EKWB watercooling (cpu+gpu)
Old 06-19-2018
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
Max and min power draw should be hw imposed unless there are compatibility issues. Power management on other hand can be very much OS dependent, but this generally isn't too much of a concern in a desktop computer at least compared to mobile devices.
The point was that Windows 10 has more background tasks and in high performance mode will use more of your available resources to keep the OS snappy.
Old 06-19-2018
20W User

Ah, how does one turn on high performance mode?
Old 06-19-2018
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
Ah, how does one turn on high performance mode?
If it's a laptop, right click the battery icon in your system tray and then click "Power Options." Change the power plan to "High Performance."

On some laptops you need to click the drop down for "Show Additional Plans" as they sometimes only give you "Balanced" and "Power Saver" available.

If it's a desktop just go to Control Panel > Hardware And Sound > Power Options and then it's the same as above.

A big difference between "Balanced" and "High Performance" on my system is CPU utilization stays low but my CPU sits closer to it's default clocks while just web browsing. Normally floating between 3.2Ghz & 3.4Ghz, with power saving settings left on in the BIOS. My chip will go up to 4.5Ghz while in game. If I run in the balanced preset then my chip will sit around the 2.3-2.5Ghz mark on general web browsing.

The main reason for my use of the "High Performance" preset is the snappier response I get when opening new applications or quickly switching between browser windows. Especially if I'm taking a window in or out of a full screen focus.
Old 06-19-2018
20W User

Ah! found it, it was hidden under 'Show additional plans'
Old 06-20-2018
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
The point was that Windows 10 has more background tasks and in high performance mode will use more of your available resources to keep the OS snappy.
Point taken, but for choosing the right PSU that isn't as relevant as hw imposed power draw I believe.
vega 64
512gb samsung 850 pro
Corsair RM1000i
EKWB watercooling (cpu+gpu)
Old 06-20-2018
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNinja View Post
Oh i ordered the tx650m it was the same price as the 550, and well wiggle room cant hurt right? I may just get one piece at a time and build a dream rig, at least ill have the power for it
a higher wattage power supply might be a little less efficient due to how they work. They hit peak efficiency at around 50% depending on the model and they are very inefficient under 20% so to a certain point the higher wattage you buy the more often your PC power draw be under that 20% and the more inefficient it will be.

But minor things if it costs the same why not? My only concern is that it is usually better to go higher quality and low wattage. RM550x or seasonic prime 550 for example
Old 06-20-2018
20W User

A quality power supply can deliver its maximum power continuously without breaking a sweat; not sure the same can be said for a cheaper unit.

Last edited by ashiekh; 06-20-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2018
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNinja View Post
Another thing this will be windows 10 much as i hate it, I always had 7 or xp before, but someone told me win 10 uses much more power than win 7...was this guy bullshitting me lol
Windows 10 (actually 8.1) handles power saving things different than Windows 7.
That was an issue especially on older Hardware wich resulted in higher power consumption.

Older in like Core 2 Duo Laptops and similar with not good implemented ACPI things because Windows would have handled it anyway, while Win10 allows the Hardware to handle it a bit more.
Thus higher power consumption there.

But in General, I wouldn't worry too much about it with modern Hardware that is made for Windows 10.
And just install and use it.

This is written on an old Dell Vostro 1500 Laptop with Core 2 Duo and, more or less luckily an external graphics chip...