jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  


Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-14-2018
jkalel jkalel is offline
micro ATX User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Advice for a new build. 450W PSU.

Hi.

I'm making a new build and I saw some supercheap PSUs that gave lots of watts and I asked in another group what they thought about them and they laughed at me and sent me with you.

So I'm looking for a inexpensive PSU for this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nhdZcY

According to Outervision PSU calculator, I only need less than 400W for that, but I may upgrade it later to a GTX 1060 and 16MB of RAM. And for that I would need a little less than 450W, so that's closer to what I'd actually need.

Here's my calculator results. i added a few more things like USB devices and a PCIE card even if I'm not really planning to add that, but just in case.

https://outervision.com/b/96NWeY

I'm in Mexico. And I'd buy the PSU in this store most likely. It has some of the best prices even though it's ugly and badly designed. Here's the link to the PSUs section:

https://intercompras.com/c/fuentes-p...00_1200&page=2


I thought perhaps of getting this one:

https://intercompras.com/p/fuente-po...v-negro-116406

or this one:

https://intercompras.com/p/fuente-po...m-negro-140752


I saw this one that outputs much more watts but I don't know what you think:

https://intercompras.com/p/fuente-po...i-e-atx-105385

thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2018
turkey3_scratch's Avatar
turkey3_scratch turkey3_scratch is offline
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,259
Thanks: 315
Thanked 220 Times in 155 Posts
Default

The 700W one is definitely the worst of the bunch. As for the others (or maybe a better option) I'm sure others will chime in (I'd love to help but I'm behind on this stuff).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2018
Delter's Avatar
Delter Delter is offline
Flux Capacitor User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 686
Thanks: 31
Thanked 96 Times in 70 Posts
Default

CX450M. Done.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2018
jkalel jkalel is offline
micro ATX User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you, both of you. But can you tell me more about the Thermaltake LitePower 450W one? It has a great discount and that makes me really consider it. There are reviews for it (even from this site), but they seem to refer to an older Bronze 80+ version. those reviews say very good things about that version:

Here's Termaltake's page for the product:

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-...?id=C_00001755

Here's some reviews for that other Bronze version:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...ite_450w/7.htm

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...y&ndns_id=2771
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-15-2018
jonnyGURU's Avatar
jonnyGURU jonnyGURU is offline
Site Founder
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: jonnyGURU forums, of course!
Posts: 14,902
Thanks: 475
Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalel View Post
Thank you, both of you. But can you tell me more about the Thermaltake LitePower 450W one? It has a great discount and that makes me really consider it. There are reviews for it (even from this site), but they seem to refer to an older Bronze 80+ version. those reviews say very good things about that version....
NOOOOOOO!!! Don't be fooled!!!!!

The Lightpower you linked has nothing to do with the Bronze units that were reviewed. Bait and switch. The Lightpower you're looking at doesn't even have full range APFC.

That Lightpower is equivalent to the older Corsair VS (probably not even that good).
__________________
Rest in peace Mike Clements, aka "Yellowbeard"

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-16-2018
-The_Mask-'s Avatar
-The_Mask- -The_Mask- is offline
ssssssmokin'
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,744
Thanks: 336
Thanked 1,355 Times in 885 Posts
Default

A 300W is already enough, but the interesting power supplies start at 400/450W.

Except for you I guess, because you can only choose the crappy stuff.

https://intercompras.com/p/fuente-po...-bronze-107612 is the cheapest one I could find on intercompras.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-16-2018
COFASA COFASA is offline
1kW User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 121
Thanks: 28
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalel View Post
Hi.

I'm making a new build and I saw some supercheap PSUs that gave lots of watts and I asked in another group what they thought about them and they laughed at me and sent me with you.
I'll give you my thoughts on those. They are a total ripoff, one of the most common ways to trick the consumer is by advertising super high wattages so that they get people to buy them though you need to remember: WATTAGE ISN'T EVERYTHING

Number 1 because it isn't silly to think that cheap PSUs often lie about the wattage and number 2 if you needed 700W+ you would be better off buying a much better PSU if you can afford a system that draws that much power you can afford a decent PSU.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalel View Post



So I'm looking for a inexpensive PSU for this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nhdZcY

According to Outervision PSU calculator, I only need less than 400W for that, but I may upgrade it later to a GTX 1060 and 16MB of RAM. And for that I would need a little less than 450W, so that's closer to what I'd actually need.

Here's my calculator results. i added a few more things like USB devices and a PCIE card even if I'm not really planning to add that, but just in case.

https://outervision.com/b/96NWeY

I'm in Mexico. And I'd buy the PSU in this store most likely. It has some of the best prices even though it's ugly and badly designed. Here's the link to the PSUs section:

https://intercompras.com/c/fuentes-p...00_1200&page=2

I still don't believe completely on those calculators as they are TDP based but yes I haven't seen good units below 400W, at least in mexico.

I am from mexico too and the only acceptable "budget-oriented" units you can find here are the corsair CX grey label (by no means get the green label) the EVGA 450BT and the EVGA 450GD (AFAIK their higher wattage versions are ok as well)

BY THE WAY DON'T GET AN A320 MOTHERBOARD, they are a waste of money, look for B350 boards they aren't significantly more expensive and much more feature-rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalel View Post



I thought perhaps of getting this one:

https://intercompras.com/p/fuente-po...v-negro-116406
2 year warranty, based on the ATX 2.2 spec and voltage protections seem like a joke I am not entirely certain but according to the webpage this PSUs allows voltages up to 4.3, 7.0, 15.6 V for the 3.3, 5 and 12V rails respectively. I'd like to know what the others think but for me that is ridiculous as it is well over spec voltages should never exceed +/-5% of their nominal values which gives us a range of 11.4-12.6V for the 12V output, 4.75-5.25V for the 5V output and 3.135-3.465V for the 3.3V output

Do you know what staying over that means? Fried components. It seems like a horrible option, and that is only on paper, expect your power supply to be worse than what the manufacturers say (their aim is to sell as much stuff as they can)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalel View Post
That is a very recent model so there isn't a lot of info on that one. It doesn't look bad but neither impresses in any regard. Based on what I have seen it is just meh, there are better options for the price. At least the corsair CX grey label and EVGA GD have been tested and you get actual perfomance numbers. Although I can't tell for sure if that is a bad PSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalel View Post




I saw this one that outputs much more watts but I don't know what you think:



thank you!
That is another crap, probably the worst amidst the whole bunch.

I reiterate. BUYING BASED STRICTLY ON WATTAGE IS A WASTE OF TIME AND A RISK TO YOUR SYSTEM.

I could almost sweat that can't do nearly 700W

If you look at the label it says it delievers 22A on the 12V rail Why on earth would you make a 12V rail that small, modern PSUs rely mostly on the 12V rail. Either they are very honest with their output capabilities or it is a very very bad joke, there is a chance it can't even pull those 22A

Again, it's all about the lies, maybe that wattage is rated at 20C (normal operating temperature on a PC might be twice as high and the output of a PSU diminishes by a significant margin as temps go up) maybe it is rated at 700W peak (peak doesn't matter at all, 700W peak means it could deliever 300 or 400W continuous) or all the things they claim are outright false. Not to mention there aren't any hints on its build quality, its performance or the OEM (in other words the real manufacturer acteck doesn't make any PSUs they pay other brands to do the job they're just in charge of the branding) so DON'T BUY IT

The LEDs appear to be the best way to try to compensate the fact it is a model you know nothing about.

SO LONG STORY SHORT: Of course you need enough wattage so that the system doesn't shut down when you push it but there are a lot of things to consider and not only watts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalel View Post


thank you!
You are welcome, don't hessitate to ask again

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
A 300W is already enough, but the interesting power supplies start at 400/450W.

Except for you I guess, because you can only choose the crappy stuff.

https://intercompras.com/p/fuente-po...-bronze-107612 is the cheapest one I could find on intercompras.

Kinda, but there are some really good PSUs out there. They are just much more expensive compared to those crappy models.

I still don't get how you come to those numbers. I know PSU calculators aren't all that reliable but could you explain what is the math bahind that power draw? There aren't even reviews of all the products to use them as a reference.

Last edited by COFASA; 06-16-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling erros
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © JonnyGURU.com 2000 -