jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > General Software

General Software Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer software

Old 11-05-2016
200W User

Default Tips on Backup Solutions (4TB+, Mac/Win, Business)

Hey guys, thought I'd come to my favourite forum for any thoughts on this:

I've been roped in to help a small (1 person) charity / business ensure they have a semi decent backup solution in place. As someone who's had 0 backup solutions in place for his own company for 8 years, I figure I better get some advice Nothing's life + death critical, but it could be 6 months of livelyhood for the owner if things go wrong, so we both figure it's worth spending a bit of time on.

Not sure of the exact setup yet, but there's a number of windows laptops, win PC, Mac desktop. Drive capacities are around 4 x 1TB total. At least 1 to 2TB+ of file data (much of which is long videos which probably do need backing up).

They're currently just using some portable drives and storing off-site but I figured something a little less involved and more automated might be called for. Here's my issues:

- NAS - onsite, not a good idea on it's own, and possibly too expensive to run multiple NAS (on/offsite). Also any issues with NAS subject to virus / ransomware?

- Offsite NAS - backing up large media files over FTP at a possible 8Mbps is gonna hurt. Maybe a quick backup to local NAS, then constant mirroring of NAS via FTP to an offsite NAS (is that even possible?) - saves issues with PCs not being on all time.

- One-time disk image (prob via Acronis) to portable media, stored offsite. Any way to semi automate this (like - plug in drive, auto incremental update of image)?

- Internal drives / raid gonna be pointless due to laptops / mac.

- Cloud too expensive (vs alternatives) for the amount of data, may use it if there's some smaller files / folders but not sure on software (needs to be fully automated).

- Windows/Mac inbuilt solutions don't seem great, or a bit ott (File History seems to have issues recognising drives, and they don't really need a full history ala time machine, just regular backups). And constant backup of entire system probably is a bit much too. Unless again it can be automated and not cost the world.

- May get them to do 1 time backups of media files, then see what's left - may be able to make do with the portable drives they already have if that's the case.

So yeah, tell me how wrong I am
Old 11-06-2016
Jun Fu capacitor advocate

You could buy two synology NAS's... Put one on site and one offsite, and they sync.. It won't be real time, but would be better than like 99% of most people, provided your offsite area is somewhere good/not in the same room/building. Or you could use backblaze , but is that too slow+expensive? You can automate both.
Old 11-06-2016
200W User

Thanks ridgid - that's exactly the kinda setup i'm leaning towards now. Bit pricey and overkill but at least it's minimal involvement and does the job well.

Can you do similar things reliably with wd or other (cheaper) brands, or is offsite dual-nas syncing a synology favourite (as google appears to be suggesting)?
Old 11-06-2016
Jun Fu capacitor advocate

You should be able to do it with a My Cloud Mirror.... Synology is the usual brand, makes it easy for you to set up.
Old 11-08-2016
200W User

Having looked in to it, syncing offsite is bringing up two big issues...

1. Dynamic IPs. Most connections here have them. And getting any NAS to support one with Rsync/equivalent looks like a massive headache (many NASs only accept numeric IPs in the web config - Synology are the exception - leading to a whole heap of telnet / host config / custom scripting nightmare).

2. This: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=SynoLocker (made worse if indeed rsync is used and ssh is opened up)

So now I'm thinking 1 NAS, 1 OFFLINE (and offsite) copy. Which opens up the choises a bit Right now, for 4TB, I'm looking at WD MyCloud Personal 4TB which I can get for around $130. It'll do offsite syncing if needed (give or take a static IP, and another MyCloud) but mostly I'm thinging a semi regular manual USB drive backup and store offsite (already have these so $free).

The equivalent with Synology is over $100 more for a single NAS fitted with 4TB WD Red.