jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 09-08-2008
1kW User

Default Great new house - bad power. UPS?

We just moved into a new house out in the middle of nowhere. The AC voltage is constantly bouncing around. The whole house flickers like a haunted house ride at Disney. the fluctuations are mostly between 105 volts and 125 volts -enough to see, but not enough for my SmartUPS to do AVR.

it seems like this would have to be bad for my gear. I have a DLP tv, a Plasma TV, and an LCD tv in addition to all my computer gear. I also have a lot of stereo gear including some vintage stuff that I use daily and would like to keep using forever.

My first question is: Is this likely to cause problems? It seems to me that my more modern SMPS powered gear should be more tolerant than my older transformer/rectifier powered stuff. Maybe I've got it backwards.

Are there any devices that would regulate the output power without needing an online UPS? I would need to buy a dozen or so of these things so I would need them to be inexpensive (preferably $200 or less), but also of high quality.

Are there any particular units I should look for in the used market that I could replace batteries in? I have always been a fan of APC and the SmartUPS series, but the fluctuations don't seem to be enough to cause the one I have to do AVR.

Should I not worry about it?
Old 09-08-2008
Site Founder

Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,052 Posts

All of your high end TV's have APFC that is regulating that slightly regulating voltage. If your computer PSU has APFC as well, you're good there too.

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"