jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware

Old 06-23-2013
200W User

Question Internal Hard Drive Recommendations?

Hi fellows,

What is the top of the line FAST internal hard drive for my Win 7 X64 operating system and games that you are recommending these days?

I will be using it for gaming on my desktop and other various computer tasks.

Thank you in advance for the advise.

Cordially,

CG
Old 06-23-2013
~y

Seagate ST1000DM003 and WD WD10EZEX offer pretty good bang for the buck, they're cheap and fast. If you can spend more then get an SSD (like eg. Plextor M5 Pro, Samsung 840 Pro, OCZ Vertex 4 / 450) - 128GB should be sufficient, but it's up to You to decide
Old 06-23-2013
200W User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojo2 View Post
Seagate ST1000DM003 and WD WD10EZEX offer pretty good bang for the buck, they're cheap and fast. If you can spend more then get an SSD (like eg. Plextor M5 Pro, Samsung 840 Pro, OCZ Vertex 4 / 450) - 128GB should be sufficient, but it's up to You to decide
Thanks, is there anything new and bleeding-edge coming out now or soon?
Old 06-23-2013
Banned

WD Caviar Black 1TB and 2TB are both great disks, used both in recent builds. I would avoid Seagate personally. But if you can afford an SSD it will still give you biggest boost. The Intel 520 Series is rock solid and blazing fast.

1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136533
2TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136792
SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167086
Old 06-25-2013
micro ATX User

I would definitely go for an SSD for your OS and games drive and get a hard drive for everything else.

SSD wise, with a large budget, the best you could run on an average consumer mobo is the Intel DC S3700 series. They're enterprise class SSDs with much better performance consistency than pretty much all consumer SSDs. And MUCH better reliability.
Coming out soon/just out is the DC S3500 series, which are a bit cheaper and almost as fast.

Vertex 4s, Samsung 840 Pros etc, are good SSDs and have great bursts of speed and in certain situations can maintain great transfer rates consistently but (if you're a bit obsessed with consistency) performance can get unpredictable quite easily - especially when the SSD has more than 80% of it's space used.

Reliability wise, while it's often still considered early days for SSDs, Intel and Samsung seem to be up there, but I've heard some good things about some OCZs and Plextors, although I'd still go with the Intels, - something affordable is the 335 series. 520s are getting a bit old now but are known for their reliability. a Samsung 840 or 840 Pro would probably give you better performance though.

Hard drive wise, I've generally stuck with Seagate for a long time, but imo these days hard drive makers have all generally taken a hit on quality. A possible exception is Hitachi (not with all of their drives) but they're generally quite expensive. I try to go for slightly above consumer level, for eg. the Seagate SV35s.

Everyone (especially me) has their preference with hard drive brands, but often it comes down to the model, sometimes an unlikely brand will come out with a great drive. You just gotta do as much homework as you can on whatever drive you're keen on, or have a well managed backup sorted (this is recommended either way though). Hope that helps.
Old 06-25-2013
500W User

It sounds like what you want is an SSD...

My picks would be the Samsung 840 Pro or the cheaper Corsair Neutron GTX. Intel's drives are solid and stable, but the performance of a SandForce controller isn't great anymore and when combined with the premium Intel charges for its drives it is no longer worth it. SF-2281 controllers are only good for bargain budget SSDs now. 240-256GB models tend to be the sweet spot for price and performance.
Old 07-20-2013
I write long words

I now go ALMOST exclusively Samsung for SSD's, they've more than proven themselves to me (check out the "SSD Torture Test"; the 830 256GB holds the record, surviving over a PETABYTE of 24/7 writes! Many, many times the "rated 3000 PE cycles"!), while OCZ and Corsair and many others have left me unimpressed at best, raging due to failure at worst.

Currently the 840Pro is the top-dog. Fast, utterly reliable, and worth every penny.

I said "ALMOST" because there is a single exception: the Plextor M5P-Xtreme. One of the most surprisingly incredible drives I've ever used, a worthy contender to the 840Pro and while it doesn't QUITE beat it, it's close enough that the always-cheaper M5P-X is a drive that I don't hesitate to recommend, especially because it's cheaper. You can get the 256GB M5P-Xtreme for as little as $159-169 on sale! The 840Pro almost NEVER drops below $0.90/GB.

If you are looking for mechanical, then the Western Digital Blue 1TB WD10EZEX is currently the absolute go-to hard drive. Ridiculously fast, extraordinarily quiet, very power efficient, slightly-better-than-average seek times, and quite likely about as reliable as possible for a platter drive with current mfg tech due to being a single, 1TB platter and thus having an absolute minimum of moving parts.
Oh, and they're extremely inexpensive, with typical prices hovering around $59-69, and occasionally appearing as a "Shell Shocker" on Newegg for as little as $50!

I use one for my big games drive, and the biggest difference in time I've ever seen between loading a game from it or from one of my SSD's is 2.8sec!!! Typically, the difference is around 1-1.5sec! For a mechanical drive, it's incredible!

Here's a few HDTune screens, but just be aware that these are from when I was testing it HIGHLY fragmented for "worst case scenario"; defrag and file-placement optimization (manual) resulted in a 12% faster max and 32% faster min transfer speed!

Samsung 830 256GB ~ Plextor M5P-X 256GB
Western Digital WD10EZEX 1TB + WD10EALX 1TB ~ Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB
NZXT Switch 810 White - Modded
NZXT HALE90 850W PSU - Individually-Sleeved Cables (White Paracord, Heatshrinkless)
H2O (EX420 + UT60 240 + P-P Fans, Phobya Shrouds, MCP35X2, 1/2x3/4 Tubing + Bitspower fittings & More)
The Following User Says Thank You to nleksan For This Useful Post:
cypherpunks (07-29-2013)
Old 07-20-2013
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
I said "ALMOST" because there is a single exception: the Plextor M5P-Xtreme. One of the most surprisingly incredible drives I've ever used, a worthy contender to the 840Pro and while it doesn't QUITE beat it, it's close enough that the always-cheaper M5P-X is a drive that I don't hesitate to recommend, especially because it's cheaper. You can get the 256GB M5P-Xtreme for as little as $159-169 on sale!
Where?
Old 07-31-2013
micro ATX User

You could also look at a Western Digital Raptor series which are 10000 rpm drives (standard drives are 7200).

These are quite a bit faster than the standard hard drives, but SSD are way faster than either of these drives. I only mention the Raptors since they may have come way down in price now that SSDs made their speed advantage largely irrelevant. I would do some price comparing....if the raptors are only a little bit more than an equivalent 7200 RPM drive then go for it.
Old 08-02-2013
Flux Capacitor User

Crucial released the M500 a 960GB SSD, around $600.
Samsung is about to release (reviews are out) the 840 EVO SSD. Performance between the 840 and the 840 PRO.
Pricing appears to be about $650 for 1TB, performance about high middle.

fwiw, WD Black seems the only 5 year warranty non enterprise drive.