jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware

Old 06-28-2013
ATX User

Default New member and hope for fun and help here

Hi all,

As usual, i register here as i registered in many forums, and i always hoping for help, more forums i get more guides/opinions/recommendations and i learn more.

I started to build my computers about 2 months ago, i was planning for 1 build but by mistakes and wrong decisions i ended up with 2 or 3 builds, one build will be for kids but i can use it if i want, so i will be more focusing on another 2 builds i did, and i hope i can have help for next steps, what i bought is done, no need to tell me go and replace or buy something else unless it is not about the CPU/PSU/Mobo, GPU and SSD and even case i can change, but just let's see what i can get here as advises and discussions.

Let me just give you the list of my 2 rigs components so we can go from there:

1st rig build:

CPU: Intel i7-3930K
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
RAM: Patriot Viper 32GB 2133MHz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX Titan Windforce OC version
Cooling: Corsair H100i
SSD: Not sure yet, but my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB is inside waiting, i may change and buy 512Gb or buy another 256GB
HDD: WD Black Caviar 2TB 7200rpm
PSU: Seasonic X-1250W
Case: Cooler Master HAF X

2nd build:

CPU: Intel i7-3820
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1600MHz
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660Ti Windforce OC version
Cooling: Corsair H60
SSD: Corsair Force GS 128GB [i have problem in this system for booting and speed for SSD under first fresh Windows 7 installation]
HDD: WD Black Caviar 2TB 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I

My second rig is finished, but i still not so happy with it before i go and install any drivers or whatever needed, my 3rd rig with simple cheaper components is much much faster and i never installed anything yet for BIOS/drivers/firmware, so i don't know what issues i have with that 2nd rig yet.

I didn't finish my 1st build yet, i stopped now with PSU installation, i just plugged few cables but not all yet and not sure which cables/wires more to connect and to what parts, and most important how can i manage to keep my wires/cables clean management?

Hope to fine some help here to go further with my first rig and find solutions on the second one.
Old 06-28-2013
Banned

Seemed familiar...
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=185515
Old 06-28-2013
Site Founder

Those PSUs are WAY MORE than you need unless you were running those cards x3 or x4.

Just sayin'.
Old 06-29-2013
Flux Capacitor User

Not an expert, power supplies are about double your needs.
X79 is very good but for gaming 1155/i5 3750K is the sweet spot.
Window 7 will load many device drivers for you.
Whether they are the most recent "best" can be interesting. Sometimes the motherboard company offers the "latest best" drivers, sometimes the chip company.
Nothing wrong with "staying" with the Windows 7 drivers.

Corsair has an excellent HDD reputation. BIOS information and name conventions vary between motherboards. The Gigabyte may need tweaking to "play nice" with SSD.
Also check the Corsair website.
Information
http://www.overclock.net/f/355/ssd
Old 06-29-2013
ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovenose View Post
Yes it is, just i like more help and answers, sure i get many common answers but people are different and each has his/her own builds and usage so i may get better guide for some from here and there, not necessary i may get all answers from one site only, is it a problem to post same question in many sites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Those PSUs are WAY MORE than you need unless you were running those cards x3 or x4.

Just sayin'.
Well, for the 2nd rig yes, but i have been cheated and forced to accept that high power after i bought it first place by mistake and the salesman i bought from told me i can get lower power for no much difference in price, so it is like i wasted money from beginning buying overkill PSU and no refund, replace it with lower PSU and no much refund back is like i paid more for lower PSU that it should be, so i decided to keep that PSU.

For first rig, i am planning to add more GPUs in the future, could be 2 or 3, so i should be ready that time with sufficient PSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterm View Post
Not an expert, power supplies are about double your needs.
X79 is very good but for gaming 1155/i5 3750K is the sweet spot.
Window 7 will load many device drivers for you.
Whether they are the most recent "best" can be interesting. Sometimes the motherboard company offers the "latest best" drivers, sometimes the chip company.
Nothing wrong with "staying" with the Windows 7 drivers.

Corsair has an excellent HDD reputation. BIOS information and name conventions vary between motherboards. The Gigabyte may need tweaking to "play nice" with SSD.
Also check the Corsair website.
Information
http://www.overclock.net/f/355/ssd
Why that 1155/i5-3570K is a better choice or sweet spot over X79/LGA2011? is it that overkill components these days don't have much benefits over non-overkill components? Also my 1st rig is not for gaming only, all people think that users nowadays thinking about games only, i will do videos and photography editing, mostly with so large huge files, as an example in photography only, i may do panos that may consist of many photos 10-80mb of each image, so it may lead me to some 1-20GB final image, do you think i5 can handle that for long time?

I will give my Gigabyte more tests time, i am planning to replace that Corsair Force 128Gb and install Samsung Pro 256Gb instead as i may fill this SSD faster, so 256GB will have longer time to be filled, and i may use that 128GB either as a second SSD with this 2nd rig or 3rd rig, i still have Samsung non pro 120GB to be used, so i will use that for second build instead and use that Corsair SSD on the 3rd in addition to the main Corsair again same one too.

Thanks all.
Old 07-01-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabicuser View Post
is it a problem to post same question in many sites?
Yes it's a problem. Because you're wasting people's time.