jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Site and Forum Topics > Testing Methodology Discussion

Testing Methodology Discussion Questions and comments regarding the testing methodologies used on jonnyguru.com

Old 04-27-2013
PSU Editor ComputerBase.de&PC Games Hardware

Default Philip's new toy: Thermographic camera

Jonny already knows, but I'd like to tell the rest of the enthusiasts around here:
I've got a new toy - a Flir i5 thermographic camera. I've already used it for some temperature pics of the Sea Sonic Fanless Platinum and of the Streacom Nano 150.

For the Sea Sonic, I removed all screws before testing, but I didn't remove the cover until the unit was ready for the thermographic peep-show. Then I removed the cover, took some pictures and put it back on.

It was my first try (review will be published as soon as I'm done), but I'd like to use my new toy for all psus. The problem there: Are the results still valid? Removing the cover and taking pictures means that the unit lacks cooling for 10 seconds before measurement. How fast do the parts heat up?

I'm aware of the dangerous voltage inside a psu - touching parts might mean my bosses at computerbase should look for a new editor^^.
Old 04-27-2013
Moderator of Silly Walks

Cool toy, but where are the pictures?
Old 04-28-2013

Pictures of the Streacom Nano 150 will be published soon. My colleagues are already proofreading the review. I'm going to post the link here, of course.

The Sea Sonic might need two weeks, because I've got two other reviews to do before.
Old 04-28-2013
1kW User

I think he meant the pictures of Flir i5

BTW 10 seconds without cooling at higher load ... hmmm wouldn't be advisable, and with removing the fan for that period of course they wouldn't be valid.

Maybe you'd have more luck if you load the PSU and then plug out the AC cord (and quickly remove the cover/fan). That way the temps would stay pretty much the same and you would avoid the risk of overheating
Old 04-30-2013
ssssssmokin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
The problem there: Are the results still valid? Removing the cover and taking pictures means that the unit lacks cooling for 10 seconds before measurement. How fast do the parts heat up?
Of course it depends on how efficient the PSU is and how big the heatsink is. So can't you just take a picture before and after?
Old 04-30-2013
Site Founder

I've always been curious... since the camera should just pick up heat, couldn't you take the picture with the cover on and the fan circulating air and still pick up the heat of the PCB? That way you could see how effective the airflow cools the core components within.

As soon as you pop open the top, there's no airflow so your components heat up right away.
Old 04-30-2013

Link to first pictures of a Streacom Nano 150:
https://www.computerbase.de/artikel/...eil-im-test/7/

@jonnyGURU:
If I do it your way, I would measure the temperature of the fan grill and the fan. The metal and plastic has it's own temperature which is usually different from the elektronics.

Last time I only used the camera for the streacom Nano 150 (pico psu) and the Sea Sonic Platinum Fanless. Removing the the cover is not an issue with passive PSUs which do not use the cover for cooling.
Old 04-30-2013
Site Founder

Ah.. so it can't see the heat "through" something much cooler? That sucks.

I know police use thermal cameras to see if someone is hiding inside a building or behind a shrub, etc. So I assumed this would work the same way.
Old 04-30-2013
TPU PSU Editor

interesting toy Philip! How much it costed?
Old 04-30-2013
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Ah.. so it can't see the heat "through" something much cooler? That sucks.

I know police use thermal cameras to see if someone is hiding inside a building or behind a shrub, etc. So I assumed this would work the same way.
"Can thermal imaging cameras see through exterior walls into houses?

No. These cameras only “see” heat as it radiates off of an object. It may “see” the heat coming from a house, but it can’t see into the house because the camera picks up the house’s exterior thermal image first. In fact, the thermal imaging doesn’t even see through glass because the glass has its own thermal profile."

"How is law enforcement using this technology?

In a number of important ways. First, it helps police officers stay safe by spotting suspects hiding in bushes or in dark alleys — in fact it can “see” someone hiding behind an object like a box or trash can if that person radiates enough heat to cast a thermal image around the object.

It assists police in pursuit. Thermal cameras can see people running in the night, even through the cover of trees. These cameras are also used to identify a recently driven car (by the warmth of the hood), or in some cases even the warmth of the skid marks left by a fleeing car."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cihfP6m9kWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
interesting toy Philip! How much it costed?
This is a basic entry level model ... it's around 1,500€ (without taxes).

A good model, with a good resolution and a decent camera on it costs somewhere around 7,500€ (without taxes).

In a professional use the prices are easily going through the roof ... 10,000/20,000/30,000+k €.