jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > CPU Discussion

CPU Discussion Discuss processors here: Past, present and future! No AMD v. Intel flames, please.

Old 03-23-2013
micro ATX User

Default Build a PC now or wait for new AMD lineup?

Hello guys and gals,
So I've been going back and forth over the last 4 days on which CPU to go with.. Phenom II x4 965, FX-6300, FX-4300, A8-5600K, or the A-10 5800K.

Then today I saw this ..

"According to DigiTimes, AMD is reportedly planning to significantly reduce the price of a number of its Trinity APUs to "make room" for its "Richland" family of processors that are currently expected to arrive in June.

These price reductions are expected to range from 8 percent to 15 percent and include the A8-5600K, FX-6300 and FX-4300."

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Tri...cut,21672.html

I know 8-15% isn't much. but if you take to consideration that online retailers usually have percent off prices alot. It could turn out to be around 18% - 25%. (If retailers offer 10% discount on top of the price drops to clear inventory for the new lineup.)
Seems to me though they usually don't drop right away (I guess since retailers are trying to clear there inventory with "normal" prices before they drop?).

Just want to get some opinions on rather to build now or wait around 3 months to see if prices actually drop.

Prices as of right now in U.S. Dollars

Phenom II X4 965 $84.99 @Newegg and Amazon
FX-6300 $139.99 @Newegg $133.79 @ Amazon
FX-4300 $119.99 @Newegg and Amazon
A10-5800K $119.99 @Newegg and Amazon
A8-5600K $109.99 @ Newegg $108.79 @ Amazon

Any constructive comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I will be doing some light gaming while screen recording. Then of course encoding said video to upload to the web.
Old 03-23-2013
500W User

Since you mention gaming, do you have a GPU or were ya planning to use the iGP built into the processor? Not all of the processors you list have one so I wanted to check. Some of the chips you mention are quad-core, others are six-core. If you don't need the GPU then just get more cores, but again it depends if you already have a GPU.

Regarding the price reductions.... I wouldn't expect to see price drops that large. Newegg still sells really old chips until they run out of stock, with hardly any discount (if any) unless the manufacturer gives one to them.
Old 03-23-2013
micro ATX User

Thanks for the reply.

If I went with the Phenom II X4 965 to the FX-6300 I would go with a HD 7770.

If I went with the A8 or A10 Trinity APU's I would probably try to put off the GPU til later. Fallout New Vegas would be the most graphically intensive game I would play to begin with. I mostly only play flashed based browser games.

What I'm really wondering about though is should I wait for the new AMD APU lineup or just go ahead and dive head first with an AM3+ build and hope that AMD sticks with AM3+ for Steamroller if its released in 2014 as expected (Not mentioning Intel since I can't afford they're chips now much less the new ones when they come out)

The following is
Or maybe I should just put an HD 7770 in my current pc and say the heck with the build? So many choices!

Current PC:
CPU: Athlon II X2 220
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) CL7@1333Mhz Crucial Ballistix
HDD: 1TB 5400RPM 2.5"
GPU: N/A - Integrated Nvidia 6150SE
Motherboard is an OEM from eMachines < The main reason I want to build a new system.
Old 03-23-2013
Flux Capacitor User

The 7770 is a decent mid-range gaming card, for a gamer, you should prioritize the graphics card first, and then go for a good cpu second. Add in a small SSD for maximum speed, it's seriously the best upgrade. On the cpu front I'd wait for an announcement on what socket the new chips will be on, and decide then what to go for.
I'd also not ignore the lower end of intel's lineup. Those dual core celerons are as fast as the quad phenoms.
Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)
Old 03-23-2013
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikat View Post
The 7770 is a decent mid-range gaming card, for a gamer, you should prioritize the graphics card first, and then go for a good cpu second. Add in a small SSD for maximum speed, it's seriously the best upgrade. On the cpu front I'd wait for an announcement on what socket the new chips will be on, and decide then what to go for.
I'd also not ignore the lower end of intel's lineup. Those dual core celerons are as fast as the quad phenoms.
About graphics, I was debating rather or not to go with an HD 7850 and wait about a computer build. Or just get certain components I can afford along with the 7850. Since I only have a $400 budget to work with I'm trying to stretch my dollars out as far as possible.
EDIT: I forgot to mention I mostly only play flash based browser games. Do I really need a $200 GPU for that. I'm thinking it maybe overkill. But I really don't know I have not bought a GPU since Radeon 9250 PCI. And a month afterward it was quite useless. So it's been a few years.

As for the SSD I've also considered this if I keep my current pc and just upgrade my GPU. But I really have no idea about SSD's as far as performance/price and really they seem too costly at the moment considering the size of HDD I could get for the same price. I have a 2.5" 1TB 5400rpm at the moment and I really don't see much slow down. But then all I have to compare it too is a 6+year old harddrive(the old IDE/PATA?). On top of all that ranting I have no idea how to even move my OEM win 7 to a new HDD/SSD. And knowing my luck, I would destroy my Win 7 copy and have spend 100 bucks on an OS.

And for the Celeron's being as fast as a Phenom I really don't know. All I do know is that according to cpubenchmark.net it isn't.
Intel Celeron G1620 Ivy Bridge 2.7GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?....70GHz&id=1848

Phenom II X4 965
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...+X4+965&id=370

But really that's all I have to go by. Since I don't know anyone who owns or has owned either one for a hands on comparison. However at there current price they would be a better investment that an Athlon II x2 and maybe even an X4. According the benchmarks that is.. personally I dont think benchmarks are typical of real world uses.

I usually like to look on anandtech to get a side by side comparison but I couldn't find the Celeron there. Also, then I can scroll down through the benchmarks at look for things I would actually do. Like video encoding (very lightly) and 7-zip though that one is usually just unzipping and not compressing.

I'm sure you've gotten very bored if you've read this far so I'll end it here

Last edited by ThaWade; 03-23-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: see EDIT:
Old 03-24-2013
Flux Capacitor User

The idea with an SSD is not to keep everything on it, like you would a big HDD, but just to keep things on it that matter, like windows, and a few games. You put your big data on a hard-disk.
Alternatively, you get some nice cache software and use the SSD as a cache for your HDD. The speed improvements to your machine will be massive either way you use it.

And CPU passmark is only one benchmark set, the intel cores are very efficient. For example: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=404 shows many comparison benchmarks, and the Pentium g850 looks good compared to the Phenom 965, and gives you an easy upgrade to an i5 or i7 chip later.

In summary: Keep your current 1TB drive, look at a low end z68 or z77 chipset board if possible, or any board with intel smart response (SSD caching) plug in a low end 32 or 64GB SSD, and use it to cache the slow old HDD. The onboard intel graphics on the current chips is plenty for flash games. You'd want a better GPU (any AMD 76xx or better, or Nvidia 550/640 or better) for other games at some point.
Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)
The Following User Says Thank You to allikat For This Useful Post:
ThaWade (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013
500W User

The A10-5800K is the exact same price as the Core i3-3220. Here's how they compare to one another: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/675?vs=677

Given you kept that Athlon system for so long, you obviously want to build for the long haul. So with that in mind... and considering you plan to game while also recording the screen, I'm going to suggest a midrange GPU instead of the A10-5800K.

Since that is an eMachines, you're also going to need a PSU upgrade. You can reuse the RAM though luckily... I got $405 before MIRs, comes with a copy of far cry 3 as well. Link

Given the budget, I'd suggest saving for the SSD at a later date. Prices on 64GB SSDs aren't as good and ya certainly don't want to buy anything smaller in my personal opinion. But I can't agree more with Allikat, I suggest saving up $100 for a 120 or 128GB SSD... you won't believe the difference in responsiveness it will bring. Throw an SSD into it and the system will probably last you until some piece of hardware dies.
Old 06-04-2014
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Given the budget, I'd suggest saving for the SSD at a later date. Prices on 64GB SSDs aren't as good and ya certainly don't want to buy anything smaller in my personal opinion. But I can't agree more with Allikat, I suggest saving up $100 for a 120 or 128GB SSD... you won't believe the difference in responsiveness it will bring. Throw an SSD into it and the system will probably last you until some piece of hardware dies.
I tend to join to this idea. Performance and reliability of SSD storages are worth it to buy them, that's why if it's possible, it will be better collect money to buy such a disc with as bigger size as it's possible.