jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 03-20-2013
micro ATX User

Default Why never LC-POWER reviews?

Hi, I'm a your fan from Italy, I often read your site and I don't miss no one review! (It's write correct? )
I remeber years ago that I decided which power supply choose for my hiiiigh-end computer simply reading yours review here, I always loved your kind of work and I always appreciated how you make a review. I love when you open the supply and do your valutations. Anyway, back to us, I choose for the Antec Quattro 850W, you gave it a great score and I immediately trust in this, so I bought it.
Years lately, I have the SAME PSU inside in my not so more "hiiiigh-end" computer, but I have to say thanks, cause this PSU gave me big satisfactions.

Now, I write this message to simply ask you why I never found a reviews of the nice cost-effective german brand LC-POWER. Here in Europe they are very knows ad nice PSU, nice quality and nice efficency. And they are very budget-save! So what do you think to review the easy easy LC6460GP3 V2.3 - GREEN POWER or the beauty beast LC8850II V2.3 Arkangel PSU.
Please please, give more attention to this brand and give me reviews and a big inner view about them, I SAID PLEASE!!!

Continue in this ways guys, you are doing a great great work, thank you for all this reviews with a lot of smiles inside them!

Cheeeers!
Loris
Old 03-20-2013
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by biessea View Post
nice cost-effective german brand LC-POWER. Here in Europe they are very knows ad nice PSU, nice quality and nice efficency. And they are very budget-save!
No.

LC-Power is traditionally a cheapo brand, and most of their PSUs just suck. Big time. Recently they have been selling PSUs that even deliver their rated wattage, even without leaving specs, but their general quality is still "meh". Computerbase.de reviewed the Gold Series 400W: while costing as much as an FSP Aurum 400W (which has a 5 years warranty), it didn't actually reach gold efficiency, and the 12 V ripple was within spec, but on the rather high side.

They are not and have never been more cost-effective than quality brands.

As for reviews: most review sites - also this one here (correct me if I'm wrong) - review PSU that are sent to them by either their builders or someone willing to provide it. There's a reason why LC-Power do not send out review samples. But if you're willing to donate one, the reviewers here could finally destroy the myth that it's a cost-effective brand.

How did you get that opinion, anyway?
Old 03-20-2013
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

LC Power have usually been made by Huntkey, (with some exceptions) which haven't always been good. So personally I've never been that impressed with them. The 850W "Arkangel" unit seems to be a CWT made one, and CWT generally are good. But with 60A on the 12V rail it seems like a 750W unit overrated by 100W.

Main rig: Core i7 860 2.8 GHz - Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 - Noctua NH-U9B - Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB RAM - Sapphire Radeon HD7970 3GB - Samsung F1 1TB - Corsair HX750 - Lian Li V2110B - Win7 64

HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX mobo - 8GB Kingston HyperX PnP 1866MHz - Samsung F3 500GB - Silver Power SP-S460FL 460W passive - Cooler Master Elite 120 - Win7 64
Old 03-20-2013
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
LC-Power is traditionally a cheapo brand
Wrong.

LC-Power has units made by CWT, GreatWall and Andyson. Not too amazing, but certainly a few notches above generic junk.
You may be confusing it with L & C, which has/had connections with Solytech/Deer.
Old 03-20-2013
PSU Editor ComputerBase.de&PC Games Hardware

I'm the power suppy reviewer @computerbase.de. I have done the review with the LC9450 and I'm going to review the LC3700 Silver Shield next month. LC-Power provides samples for reviewers, too, but only of their better products. If you need a contact, send me a PM.

Before I joined CB, I've already done the LC-Power Pro-Line X_Type: link

Martin reviewed the 1KW unit some time ago

The rest of the psu portfolio isn't really worth testing. And LC was a cheapo brand, but most of their new psus won't fail completely.
Old 03-20-2013
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
LC-Power has units made by CWT, GreatWall and Andyson. Not too amazing, but certainly a few notches above generic junk.
You may be confusing it with L & C, which has/had connections with Solytech/Deer.
True, but the better LC-Power units were usually more expansive than "ordinary" Power Supplys from other makers....

That's the problem: They make cheap PSUs (mainly for system builder, I think) and half way decent ones. While the cheap ones are crap, the half way decent are just too expansive...
Old 03-20-2013
Naughty

I agree, they're either junk (LC420H*, 500H, 600H) or too expensive for what they offer (everything else, literally). There were ever only two models that were good value for money if you were on a tight budget, but they're both discontinued.

A limited-run of "LC6550 V2.2" (with a 432W claimed combined 12V power on the label), made by GreatWall. A standard double-forward + group reg unit, w/ APFC. Had a full Teapo complement (plus one Asia'X...), decent heatsinks, a good Young Lin Tech ball bearing fan, solid wiring and a price of just under 30€. It was a viable choice, though there was a potentially better choice in similarly priced Chieftec GPS (vanilla Delta GPS/DPS series) and CTG (Sirtec's HPC-***-G12CS, the same platform used for Silverstone Strider Essential series) models.

The other one marginally worth noting was the "LC6600T v2.3 Titan II" which was a vanilla Andyson F-series "600"W (AD-F620A2) in every respect, and was sold for around 35€.

LC-Power's company practices are something of a combination of CoolerMaster and Andyson - overrated, overpriced for what they offer, taking themselves way too seriously. I'm staying away, and so should everyone else (possessing at least two brain cells to rub together).
Old 03-21-2013
micro ATX User

Thank you for all of these answers, I appreciate your partecipation.
Anyway, I always bought LC-POWER for mid range computer that I made for my friends and collegues and because I follow this great site for year, I simply wanted that someone here can review a simple unit (like LC6550GP3) and test it.
I really hope they can do something, or I really hope they can ask to LC-POWER one unit to test...perhaps my dreams remain undiscovered
Old 03-21-2013
Flux Capacitor User

http://translate.google.com/translat...650-w/id=17849

650W version. Good wattage/price ratio, but a few corners cut. Also keep in mind, that advancements in power efficiency of CPUs and GPUs render such high-power/low-price approach all but obsolete.
Old 03-21-2013
micro ATX User

Thank you rafal_iB_PL, but I really hope that I can read a review here on JonnyGuru on these LC-POWER PSUs, expecially from Oklahoma Wolf