jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware

Old 02-06-2013
Pragmatic Contrarian

The first attempt to buy one was a miserable failure. The seller sent it to the wrong address, then denied it. I had to file an ebay claim, and just yesterday got my money back, so I ordered a new Sony 5500S from Centrix. Just shipped out today, so hopefully soon.

-Adam
Old 02-16-2013
Pragmatic Contrarian

So the second time I ordered a blu ray drive for my laptop, and it said delivered, and nothing was here. Here's the kicker. My roommates said they saw the mailman pull up, not leave anything, and then leave. I talked to a supervisor at the Rio Rancho post office who left a note for the carrier to see him that night. The carrier ignored it. He left another note saying to see him the next morning, it was again ignored. Tell me that isn't suspicious...

Both missing packages were delivered on Valentines Day, after the supervisor finally confronted the carrier. His excuse: he left them at the wrong address. I looked up the address he claims to have left them at; it doesn't exist. It's open mesa.

Anyway, I picked the one that had the (albeit marginally) better specs, pulled the bezel, put the bezel from my laptop's stock drive on it and installed it. Blu-ray playback works, so I'm happy.

Another formal complaint has been filed with the USPS, but I seriously doubt anything will be done, even though it's pretty clear that the carrier was stealing my packages. Anyhow, blu-ray playback works, so I'm happy with that. Only other thing I'll probably do is order a second stick of DDR3-1600 to put it at 8GB, but overall I'm really happy with this laptop.

-Adam
Old 02-19-2013
Pragmatic Contrarian

Just a followup, since I was worried about the graphics capability of this laptop. It does blu-ray playback fine, but is also does Source games nicely, too. Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 play well on it, so I'm really happy.

-Adam
Old 02-19-2013
Naughty

I'm glad it all worked out fine in the end... Even though the ride was a bit bumpy.