jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 12-07-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
With todays extremely high performing PSUs where there's just slight differences in the electrical performance and efficiency with a lot of high class platinum certified units, I'm looking into noise.
Well even if that's not the case, the question is: What's better a (slightly) better electrical performance but an annoying fan or a not so good electrical performance but a really good fan?
I prefer the quieter unit as a loud/annoying fan is the first thing you'll notice and what's really really irritating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
The Lazer/Superflower doesn't have the MOV, but I'm thinking it would be possible to install it across the primary of the transformer, and with the SuperFlower unit being at least 30% cheaper than the competition in Europe
it's probably a cheap upgrade (although it would void the warranty). Alternatively use an external surge protector. A silent fan is harder to arrange for the other PSU:s, and they start out more expensive in the first place.
Take the external surge protector as it's normally nothing more than some(!) Movs..
So I don't really understand why a MOV in a PSU is so important....
If you really need a decent surge protection, you'll have a surge protector. If you don't need one the MOV inside the PSU is just a cost adder...
And it can't be as good as an external surge protector...

But too be blunt: I woudn't buy any Super Flower unit anytime soon. The reason for this is the "Super Flower Incident" in German forums, where a Super Flower guy insulted the community (he said something like: the desicions will be made in Taiwan and not by unqualified forum members and that multi rail gold units are not possible and some other stuff)

If that isn't enough, this guy also trolled the forums under many dirferent names, defending super flower...

So this was really bad....

But there are other things, technical ones, that disqualify Super Flower units.
As there is the lack of over temperature protection or the not really availeble guarantee (and to quote that Super Flower guy: we don't offer more because our customers don't want more)...
Old 12-07-2012
Flux Capacitor User

^Are you sure this was an actual SF guy? Because from what you're describing, I'm having extreme doubts anyone can be THAT stupid when it comes to Pr.
Old 12-07-2012
Flux Capacitor User

yeah, i run into some pretty insane Apple fanbois too. But I don't assume they speak directly for Apple.

It is the internet right?

My $80 Gold rated 750 watt Super-Flower continues to run like a champ.

Friend in another forum warned against based on 5-10 year old experience with mediocre or worse Super-Flower.

Things change. Move on.

PS. European example FYI

Worst rust bucket I ever rode in was a mid 70s VW. Actual was very concerned that seat would break through the floor...kept feet raised to avoid dragging on the ground...holes were really that big rusted through the floor boards.

don't judge current VW production based on that past experience.

Foolish to judge Super-Flower past in the same way.

PS. 5 year warranty by Rosewill didn't hurt. Not really thinking anything past 5 years is going to change my mind on what PSU I buy.

other things (over temp. protection) meh...not worried...and even if I were, there are certain things you are willing to give up to have a $80 price point instead of $179.

Last edited by mdk777; 12-07-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
^Are you sure this was an actual SF guy? Because from what you're describing, I'm having extreme doubts anyone can be THAT stupid when it comes to Pr.
Yip I am certain that the guy (still) works for Super Flower...
Just take a look at some of his postings...

The bad thing: it's all in german...

Especially interesting is this posting.
MUMU1 was one of his accounts...
Old 12-07-2012
PSU Editor ComputerBase.de&PC Games Hardware

The passive Super Flower platinum unit is available via the silentmaxx branded version here in Germany. The guys at silentmaxx are ok, the support is better and the unit is even a little bit cheaper
Old 12-09-2012
Computer Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post

You'd think that, but then unhinged stupidity rears its ugly head, such as the incident at SilentPC Review a few years ago with a rep. from SilenX posting under several nicks, pushing their fans and generally bashing anyone that disagreed with SilenX's specs (which are horribly overinflated in every measurable metric) and denigrating any other fan said to be "better" than the SilenX equivalent.

Or the Nvidia focus group member that was essentially spamming Anandtech a few years ago, along with the obligatory denigration of anyone who disagreed with his "expert" views on video cards.

Both cases ended up with the members being called out, caught with their knickers down around their ankles, and banned.

While it does happen, fortunately it's rare....so far.

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
- Brooks Atkinson
Old 12-09-2012
PSU Editor ComputerBase.de&PC Games Hardware

The first account in the pcghx forum was a verified company-support-account