jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > CPU Discussion

CPU Discussion Discuss processors here: Past, present and future! No AMD v. Intel flames, please.

Old 12-02-2012
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
You need to understand that by default, RAM will run at official JEDEC timings for compatibility reasons. It's a universal standard for PCs, as if the user buys higher performance RAM then they can modify the appropriate settings to get the performance.

If you want to run your RAM outside that spec you need to do so manually by either changing the settings yourself or by selecting XMP in your BIOS. You have either option, but XMP is easier since it automatically adjusts subtimings to match the lower CL timing.

The reason they do this is simple... imagine if you bought two of those memory kits. If the motherboard defaulted to XMP then odds are your system wouldn't even boot, or it could boot with unstable RAM. The XMP profile does not take into account if you are running double the memory modules the profile timings were created for. My system can't even boot if I use the XMP profile because I'm running two high-performance kits, but it boots fine on the default memory profile. There's other considerations such as RAM voltages and the CPU's memory controller rating and still other factors that can affect RAM stability as well, which is why by default motherboards automatically use the JEDEC profiles unless told otherwise.
Thank you for your reply.. So basically it is my mainboard reading my RAM's JEDEC settings preventing it from running at CL7@1333Mhz and not the ram itself.. That's good news since I plan to build a new system in the future which is the main reason i went with the more expensive ram. Also I can't run XMP since I'm running an AMD setup. Which is one thing that worried me about the XMP JEDEC settings in CPU-z. So thank you for clarifying the confusion I had.
Old 12-03-2012
Flux Capacitor User

You CAN run the XMP settings on an AMD machine, you just have to copy them down from CPU-z and manually enter them into the BIOS. I've done that with some G-Skill modules on a Crosshair3. But the thing is that the JEDEC settings often work better anyway. Plus AMD chips usually work better with fast memory that's not at full speed, but downclocked with tighter timings.
AMD clocking has to work differently from Intel to work with the different chip design.
Keep the HTlink around 2Ghz, overclock the NB a bit, lower the memory speed and find some super low timing settings that work reliably, and you've got a nice fast machine.
Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)
The Following User Says Thank You to allikat For This Useful Post:
ThaWade (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012
micro ATX User

Thanks again for the reply. However, I'm using an OEM mainboard that doesn't allow for any adjusting in the bios.. In my frequency and timing (i think that's what its called?) it only has the option to enable and disable 2 things (can't remember the names off the top of my head).

But its very good information for the future when I take out this OEM mobo. or do my first custom build in the future..

So thank you, very much.