jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Site and Forum Topics > Testing Methodology Discussion

Testing Methodology Discussion Questions and comments regarding the testing methodologies used on jonnyguru.com

Old 08-07-2012
TPU PSU Editor

Default Sound measurements

Today I managed, eventually, to find some free time to write the relevant code and include my db meter in the control program I use for the reviews.

The only thing left now is to get a good temperature logger (it costs around 500 euros) and afterwards I won't have to write down anything (currently I have to keep notes only for temperature data, since everything else is logged).

I also have to figure out a way to conduct reliable sound measurements with all this noise that the loads make, especially at high loads and with high capacity units
Apparently coding was the easy part..

Btw my db meter is a CEM DT-8852 which is exactly the same with the Extech HD600.

Old 08-07-2012
Site Founder

I'm actually considering putting the load tester in an adjacent load and using a breakout board to hook up the PSU, but even if I used very heavy gauge wire, I'm afraid of the voltage drop I might experience.
Old 08-19-2012
TPU PSU Editor

I am thinking to sound proof my new hotbox and put the db meter inside it. However all results will be comparable only to my previous ones and not to anyone else's, since I will measure the noise from a distance of only 30-40 cm (for 1 m distance sound measurements I would need an enormous hot box).

Now I don't know if the sound meter will be happy operating at 45C

Old 08-20-2012
ssssssmokin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmaris View Post
However all results will be comparable only to my previous ones and not to anyone else's, since I will measure the noise from a distance of only 30-40 cm (for 1 m distance sound measurements I would need an enormous hot box).
Imo it's never comparable with someone else his test.