jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > The Gaming Forum

The Gaming Forum Discuss computer and console games and gaming here

Old 05-17-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Default Thoughts on Diablo 3 and always online requirement?

When I heard Diablo 3 announced 4 years ago and when I saw the gameplay footage released at the same time, I was completely stoked. Knowing Blizzard, I was also completely ready to wait at least 3 years before I could play it.

When I head 9 months ago that the game would require a constant online connection, I was devastated and to this day am contemplating a complete boycott of the game. However, I am weak, the game looks awesome and I still really want to play it.

I have never played World of Warcraft, or any other MMO for that matter. I was stunned when people proclaimed "same old Bizzard" when there were launch day problems. I was so used to Blizzard games coming out with a sparkling polish....I was used to Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 and Starcraft. I was a fan of Blizzard games back in the late 90s. I was never a rabid fanboy however and actually shook my head at some of the more delusional ones.

Steam was the first DRM method which actually caught my attention. When Half-Life 2 came out, I was still on a freaking slow modem. The online activation scared me away from the game. I remember at the time there was a good bit of outrage over it. Now STEAM is ubiquitous and anyone who would question it is disregarded as a nut job.

Now I have a very good internet connection with no bandwidth limits, but I still do not like the idea of always online DRM. Even with very good internet, my internet might go down, their server might go down. I might want to play the game on a laptop where there is no internet. I've already seem people complaining about progress lost due to being dropped. I don't want some Denial of service attacks to screw with my leisure time. I don't want to worry that the company will shut down the servers in 5 years and the game is gone for good. Despites Blizzard's insistence, this is not an MMO. This game is very different from MMOs and there really is no reason other than prevention of piracy and cheating for the game to be online only.

Ubisoft has caught a ton of flack over Starforce and their more recent always online DRM. I have never seen anyone defend Ubisoft. While I see plenty of people outraged at Blizzard, I see just as many who defend Blizzard until their fingers are raw from typing.

I've been dismissing these Blizzard defenders as fanboys and those who drink deep of the Blizzard Kool-Aid and ask for seconds.

I find mostly reasonable people on this site. So I ask, Diablo III's DRM reasonable?

Last edited by HOOfan_1; 05-17-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-18-2012
Flux Capacitor User

I'm not playing this game just because of that.
Old 05-18-2012
Site Founder

My biggest concern is Battle.net being down. Because of the volume of users during Diablo III's launch, they've already experienced outages.
Old 05-18-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Of course it was day 1 overflow, but the traffic for their servers will be high for the next few weeks...maybe the next few months.

I have never played World of Warcraft or any other MMO for that matter, so I don't know what type of server down time they face, but I have been hearing they have down time at least once a week. That is ridiculous for a $60 game which from all the professional reviews I am reading, is designed like most single player games.

I hears whispers of subscription fees for battle.net as well. I just don't understand why some people are defending Blizzard so vehemently and giving them a free pass on the same issue that many people have stated is destroying PC gaming.
Old 05-18-2012
Out of warranty validity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
I'm not playing this game just because of that.
Same. Heck, my brother in law can't even get the game to run on Vista, let alone do anything online.
Old 05-20-2012
1kW User

The same applies to BF3.
I only got the boxed game because it was an Xmas present.
It took something like over 2 hrs to install Origin (sort of like Steam) and then the game itself, plus some updates.
I can't see the point of the game disc since most of the content is downloaded.
Then eventally the game launches through a web browser...pffft.

What annoys me is that you have to be online, even if you want to play SP (which is a bit kak) or adjust any in game settings.
I can see a point in the future where this game is hardly played, and therefore the game will be useless.

At least with any previous BF game, I could happily play against bots in SP, and the game couldn't care less if I were connected to the internet or not, only if I wanted to play online.
Last year I re-installed W7 and it took just over 3 hours to install Origin + game including updates, which is near enough the time it takes to re-install Windows, drivers, update it, install software and a few games.

I have just re-installed W7-64 and I am certainly not going to attempt to put BF3 back on the PC.

If I feel the need to play BF3 then I can boot up my Win7-32 drive and play from there, but the novelty of the game has worn off pretty quick, so I am not in a rush to do it.

I hate this DRM total control malarky, and doubt I will buy any further games that make you jump through hoops before I can attempt to play it.

I shall stick to my selection of older games as they mostly still give me some hours of gaming fun.
Like BF2142 which to me is still my favourite BF game, but sadly for me in the UK there are only a couple of servers still running it......but, at least I can still play it in SP which won't be the case of BF3 when all the online servers have dried up.

The joys of UT99 (still fun to play) where there is no CD key, just install and play.
Oh, sorry about the rant..
Vista-64-(default OS)-Win7-64-Win8-64..Tt Armor+..HX1050..i7 920(stock)+Noctua U12..GA EX58 Extreme..6x1GB Corsair Dominator... 2 x GA 6870OC CF..onboard sound..2 x 300GB WD V-Raptors..1 x Samsung 1TB F3..1 x WD 1TB..1 x 500GB Caviar Green..Samsung T220(22")..Dell 2408WFP(24").
Old 05-24-2012
Flux Capacitor User

I got a code for the "starter" version of the game from a friend, which lets you play up until the first major boss. While playing it, I discovered another side of the DRM. Not only does the game require you to be online, but all events are actually handled server-side (movement, attacks, enemy placement and actions, etc.). This means that if your internet connection has high latency or doesn't have a lot of bandwidth and gets bogged down easily by data transfer, you'll experience lag in the single-player mode of Diablo 3. That's one of the main reasons I won't be buying the game.
Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.
Old 05-25-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Yeah I've heard the lag gets horrible.

Not to mention that the DRM isn't working. People's accounts are already getting hacked. Even people who use the authenticator.
I would not be surprised if Blizzard gets sued when a person's account is hacked now. Now that Blizzard is running a real money auction house, people's in game gear is worth real money.
Old 05-25-2012
~y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Not only does the game require you to be online, but all events are actually handled server-side (movement, attacks, enemy placement and actions, etc.). This means that if your internet connection has high latency or doesn't have a lot of bandwidth and gets bogged down easily by data transfer, you'll experience lag in the single-player mode of Diablo 3.
Wow... if that's true, then I won't even try out this game. It's not like I was going to anyway, since I played Torchlight II beta and it was pretty decent
Old 09-09-2012
500W User

Playing diablo @inferno difficulty
Getting internet problem
Enjoy the lag