jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 05-04-2012
Naughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by B|G B|LL View Post
That GTX 680 looks nice, but I didn't pay full cost on the Radeon 7950. I just checked out Newegg and the cheapest version of the GTX 680 was still $200 bucks more than I spent on the Radeon 7950.
That was a killer deal then... Nice find

Quote:
Originally Posted by B|G B|LL View Post
Bummer. Looks like I am going to have to buy a PSU. Here's a pic of the PSU and it is clearly not the 475W PSU I thought it was, as it says plain as day on the label that it is a 350W. Can't remember where I came up with that 475 number...

So what's the consensus on a good PSU for this rig then?
That's a fine enough PSU for the job it was assigned, but indeed you are correct - you do need a bit more power if you're to use your new GPU.

I believe this is currently the best choice for your rig. It has enough power, it's a good quality, fairly quiet, well-performing, efficient, SuperFlower-built unit, and the price is fair. That's a winner in my book.

## EDIT ##
Wow, it went out of stock in the short time between me finding it and posting here (cca 3 minutes). Oh well, they'll have it back in stock tomorrow, so it's fine, I suppose...
Old 05-04-2012
Danke schön

As with McSteel; that Rosewill unit is probably your best option unless you're forced to shop somewhere local.
Old 05-04-2012
Flux Capacitor User

The 450W version would make an excellent choice as well.
Old 05-05-2012
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterm View Post
FWIW you may want to check out reviews on the GTX 680, it has swept the gaming market by lower price/more performance.
Sweeping price cuts to the AMD line about 2 weeks ago brought the HD 7970 down to around US$450 and the HD 7950 down to $380. Also in order to sweep the gaming market, a product must first be available for purchase. For the 6th week in a row, Newegg and other resellers have not had a decent allotment of GTX 680s.
Old 05-15-2012
micro ATX User

eeh, before going for a replacemnt PSU, check the DELL support site to see if they did follow the ATX standard or not. In the past DELL used to have different wiring, and replacing a PSU with a non-DELL could actually fry your MB.
It should be a thing of the past, but, personally, i trust Dell only as far i can keep them in my sights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX
scroll down to the DELL section
Old 05-15-2012
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnRollie View Post
eeh, before going for a replacemnt PSU, check the DELL support site to see if they did follow the ATX standard or not. In the past DELL used to have different wiring, and replacing a PSU with a non-DELL could actually fry your MB.
It should be a thing of the past, but, personally, i trust Dell only as far i can keep them in my sights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX
scroll down to the DELL section
Thing of the past indeed; that happened 10-13 years ago bud.
Old 05-15-2012
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVGA Phaedrus View Post
Thing of the past indeed; that happened 10-13 years ago bud.
WRONG.

Dell has had proprietary power supplies for years and still do today. ESPECIALLY in the high end.
Old 05-15-2012
200W User

I've seen proprietary form factors (like those ones with the grille that prevents you from installing an ATX PSU), and proprietary ones in server systems; but the vast majority, even in their high-end systems (all those Newton Power units in XPS and Alienware), are electrically and connector compatible with ATX12V.
Old 05-15-2012
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
WRONG.

Dell has had proprietary power supplies for years and still do today. ESPECIALLY in the high end.
You must be talking about their high end P4 based systems from a long time ago.

Dell hasn't been using a proprietary PSU (electrically) for ages. They do have housings which use a 92mm rear exhaust fan, which means you need to buy a PSU specifically for that case (or jerry rig a ATX PSU in) but all of the connectors and wires are up to ATX 12v v2.1 standards at least.

Some of their SFF units use proprietary PSU's, but those are the ones with power-bricks that plug into the back. And generally have very few wires inside. (Usually only a power cable to the HDD / SSD)
Old 05-16-2012
Site Founder

Ok. But it hasn't been 10 to 13 years. I had just seen a Dell gaming machine from just a couple years ago that had two 20-pin ATX connectors coming off of a 1000W Delta PSU.