jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 04-09-2012
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
Zippy doesn't even return my emails. Gave up on them long ago.
I think what he means is, if Athena is now the exclusive U.S. distributor for Zippy, why not as Athena for a Zippy sample instead of Zippy?
Old 04-09-2012
1kW User

Seems like I saw another review of Athena Power last year and it wasn't too good. I think FSP has a pretty good TFX unit?
Old 04-10-2012
Danke schön

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshjp View Post
MaxRevo 1500w can be operational under 110Vac but it is labeled as 220Vac-only because of the efficiency issue. I don't know if they are sent to US reviewers.

I guess one EVGA and one rebranded Enhance 1500w. Looking forward to seeing.
Wolf already did the Enhance 1500w / silver design with Silverstone.
You'd be looking at a ~82% efficient 1500w unit, which is much lower than what Silverstone or Thermaltake have scored with that guy.

I'm sticking with the MaxRevo unless it's a newer version of that Andyson 1600w beast that was done for Ultra with higher efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'DaleRider View Post
A jump into the deep end by Corsair with a new Flextronics design.
Doubt that, because the efficiency is too poor. If it was in the 85-86% range @ 40-50*C I could see it, but like I said, that'd have to be around 82% efficiency on a modern unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximon View Post
Seems like I saw another review of Athena Power last year and it wasn't too good. I think FSP has a pretty good TFX unit?
Better built than this guy, but if I recall. The Vreg isn't much better and ripple is about the same.
Old 04-10-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Personally I'd have put that extra standoff in the bad section, it's way too obvious a manufacturing flaw to be simply mediocre.
Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)
Old 04-10-2012
Flux Capacitor User

I think it would be an good idea to create a thread/sticky were members here would relay their review requests and interests... since many, if not most, of the good PSU reviewers are contributing members of this forum; I think that would be valuable info for them and would benefit those of us that aren't directly involved in the phenomenon, but have a(sometimes weird) interest in PSUs and are, to a higher or lesser degree, involved in the market side of things

Last edited by Original Sin; 04-10-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-10-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Personally I'd have put that extra standoff in the bad section, it's way too obvious a manufacturing flaw to be simply mediocre.
Honestly "mediocre" to me sounds more like "ugly" in "good, bad and ugly" way.

This entire PSU is best summed by: meh.
Old 04-10-2012
Moderator of Silly Walks

Had to open up the top SunMoon again this morning - turns out one single strand of wire going to the -12V loading MOSFET was touching an adjacent trace. My old Silverstone ST56ZF would power up this way, but this week's review sample would not.

This feels like a long week already.
Old 04-12-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
Had to open up the top SunMoon again this morning - turns out one single strand of wire going to the -12V loading MOSFET was touching an adjacent trace. My old Silverstone ST56ZF would power up this way, but this week's review sample would not.

This feels like a long week already.
Sorry for asking but do you actually spend more time repairing your SunMoon than actually doing a review or does it just seem so?
Old 04-12-2012
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
Sorry for asking but do you actually spend more time repairing your SunMoon than actually doing a review or does it just seem so?
Let's see.. he cranks out a review a week. Has had to repair the SunMoon twice over the past year.... I say your trolling. Want a ban? Certainly wouldn't be the first time.
Old 04-12-2012
Moderator of Silly Walks

Let's just say if I got paid an hourly wage based on the work I do for the site, I'd probably be making a down payment on a house right now.

This is the first time in a couple years the original SM-268 has needed repairs. The second one hasn't needed it since I got it, but has in the past. Be glad I can do it myself, otherwise it would cost a thousand bucks each time to send it away.

In any case, the monster that did the damage passed hot testing with the same loads and the load tester did not fail again. So, I'll actually have a review for next week instead of deafening silence.