jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 03-21-2012
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
Like I said in the review, fully modular would have made all the difference in the world.
If this were not uni-sleeve, would you still say so? I use fully-modular Seasonics myself, but I wouldn't object to a semi-modular build the way OCZ has it on this psu. I only object to unnecessary fixed cables, and this seems to have none.

And I'm curious about the 9.5 rating. It seems to me we should be looking for clean power, which is what this OCZ delivers -- very little ripple, and I assume no spikes, or you would have pointed them out. Isn't that what we want? A drop of 0.13v on the 12v line is well within the capacity of our boards and cpu's to swallow; but I would think that ripple is what needs to die.

If I'm off here, please set me straight.
Armageddon with 2 Noctua NF-A15's
Intel 4600 graphics using 1GB system memory
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB OS drive
WD Black 4TB file drive, WD Red 3TB backup
Seasonic X-750 (on hand, and thus free) in CM N600 case
Old 03-22-2012
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
If this were not uni-sleeve, would you still say so? I use fully-modular Seasonics myself, but I wouldn't object to a semi-modular build the way OCZ has it on this psu. I only object to unnecessary fixed cables, and this seems to have none.
Of course. But I (and I believe now Wolf) always score a fully modular unit higher than a semi-modular unit. The semi-modular unit might score lower if it has too many fixed cables that won't be used and even lower for a non-modular unit. If this unit had regular cables, but was still semi-modular, it would have scored a 9.5 in functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
And I'm curious about the 9.5 rating. It seems to me we should be looking for clean power, which is what this OCZ delivers -- very little ripple, and I assume no spikes, or you would have pointed them out. Isn't that what we want? A drop of 0.13v on the 12v line is well within the capacity of our boards and cpu's to swallow; but I would think that ripple is what needs to die.
Perfect scores go to perfect performance. The performance was very good, so it gets a 9.5. Although voltage regulation is good enough for any motherboard's capacity, it still was not perfect.
Old 03-22-2012
1kW User

still not understand the modular cable
what the advantage from fully modular than semi modular?
Old 03-22-2012
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testakraze View Post
for performance maybe not, for functionality full module > semi module for sure
Old 03-22-2012
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Ironically, most obvious one would be, if you wanted to resleeve cables yourself.
Old 03-22-2012
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testakraze View Post
For routing/hiding cables, fully modular is much easier because you don't have to deal with the cable being attached to the PSU while finagling the cable underneath your motherboard or trying to zip tie it between the drive bays and the side panel. Also, if you're one that swaps out components a lot, it's a lot easier to pull parts in and out of your case when you don't have to pull most of your cables out in the process of doing so.
Old 03-22-2012
Flux Capacitor User

The advantage of fully modular cables is making builds easier.
If the power supply interferes with changing a heatsink or accessing CPU you can leave all cables connected and routed while removing power supply to increase work room. I know, not much of an issue for bottom mounted psu cases.
Or if you want to remove a mother board you can leave a cable(s) connected and unplug from the power supply.
Further, you can often get additional cables, or cables of different length, or even send cables out for custom sleeving.
Or remove one cable assembly for modification.
Not necessary but convenient.

Semi Modular the power supply has permanently connected "primary" cables, these have to be "draped" outside case while installing power supply and take up space and position during assembly. Less trouble than not modular supplies but sometimes cable access and routing is a pain.

"Modular" last I knew is patented by Ultra, which adds to the cost beyond the parts and labor involved.
Modular connections also add a "failure point" , traditionally this has been a concern. I doubt it applies much if at all today (with the exception of very cheap modular power supplies).

The greatest advantage of modular (IMHO) is as the power ratings and number of cables increase being able to use only what you need and leaving "extras" outside a case becomes more and more attractive.

Generally the larger the case and/or the better the cable management the less important modular cables are.
The smaller the case and/or the worse the cable management the more value modular cables have.

IE putting +1000 watt power supply in a full ATX case "modular" is a convenience.
Putting a 750 watt power supply in a cheap (sometimes not so cheap) microATX case would make "modular" a very desirable choice.
Choosing a CX430 to use in a microATX case with decent cable management should just mean a little more patience is needed.

Hope that is clear.
Old 03-22-2012
1kW User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
For routing/hiding cables, fully modular is much easier because you don't have to deal with the cable being attached to the PSU while finagling the cable underneath your motherboard or trying to zip tie it between the drive bays and the side panel. Also, if you're one that swaps out components a lot, it's a lot easier to pull parts in and out of your case when you don't have to pull most of your cables out in the process of doing so.
Don't forget replacing cables. My 24-pin WORE OUT on my original 750TX and I had to RMA the whole thing.