jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > CPU Discussion

CPU Discussion Discuss processors here: Past, present and future! No AMD v. Intel flames, please.

Old 05-06-2008
micro ATX User

Graysky,

I'm new to the hardcore OCing scene and I must say, the information you've shared here is brilliantly done, clear and concise. I like the way you've not only tell what to do, but you explain what it does, and why it is done. I've been up and down the web searching for answers to my OCing questions and you've got them all pretty much wrapped up in a nutshell right here in one place.

I just recently (two weeks ago) decide to lay my old box to rest and built myself a new system from the ground up. After reading you're "howto" at length I have a couple quick questions that I hope you wouldn't mind me bouncing off of you. Before I ask, here are some pertainant specs as to what I'm working with.

Q6700 2.66ghz (Cooled with a Thermaltake 760i Bigwater)
XFX 680i LT SLI mainboard (rated for 1333FSB)
2gigs of OCZ Platinum rev2 6400(800mhz) RAM
eVGA 8800GTX PCIe GPU (single card)
800w PSU
I use CoreTemp as well as CPU-Z for monitoring my system particulars.

I'm currently running at 3.2ghz under stock voltage settings by increasing my FSB from 1066 to 1280 and CPUM x10. (1280/4 = 320) (320 x 10 = 3.2g)

First let me say that I'm somewhat of a gamer, not hardcore or anything, but I like my FPShooters. (CS Source, CoDuty4, URT3, etc...)

My main concern is how well my machine performs while playing these games online against other people that are trying to kill me. My video card takes care of my graphic processing needs with ease, but I'm trying to key in on my responsiveness as it relates to people seeing me in the gaming world, and inversly me seeing them. Moving, dodging, shooting, how can I maximize the accuracy and "real time" in a gaming environment when people are all trying to elude my gunfire, and me their's? Can my machine be running more efficiently than it currently is configured to?

My question is about DRAM:FSB ratio and how important being "syncronous" or having a1:1 ratio is versus the downtweaks it seems I have to make to get there. Currently my ratio is 4:5. My CPU has a max 10x multiplyer as I'm sure you know. My mainboard say's it supports is 1333FSB. My RAM is 800MHZ. (so that's 400MHZ duel channel)

I could get a 1:1 ratio with the CPUMx10 and RAM that I have at it's full 800MHZ, but I would have to set my CPU freq to 1600. (1600/4 = 400) RAM is at 400. That's a 1:1 ratio, but my mainboard is only rated for 1333, and also it would make my chip run at 4.0g which I'm sure is WAY too high, if even possible at all. I'm sure this option is out of the question.

If I bumped by CPUM down to 9x with a 400 freq it would put me at 3.6g which is probably not out of the question, but is still probably higher than I'd feel comfortable going, even with my watercooling. And it would still be rated at 1600 which is higher than the 1333 my board is rated at. Not sure if this is even possible also.

If I bumped my ram speed down to 667 speed (making it 333 instead of 400) then I could set my CPU freq to 1333 (making it 333 as well) and this would give me a 1:1 ratio, and put me right at the max FSB rating for the mobo. But it would mean running my RAM at less than it's max 800mhz.

Long story short, do you think my machine would perform better by actually decreasing the RAM speed in order to get to 1:1 ratio, or am I better of where I'm at right now with a 4:5 ratio?

(I just read this and people are probably going to think I'm an idiot but I DID pre-empt the post by admitting I'm a nub so please take it easy on me)

Hopefully I made some sense in what I'm trying to ask and I'm sure some other nub OCers out there may be wondering the same thing so If you could offer any advice I'd surely appreciate it. Thanks Gray, and again, great job on the tutorial.
Old 05-07-2008
500W User

Honestly, even 10x333 is plenty for any game today (even crysis). So there isn't a whole lot you can do to keep it quicker in that regard.

As to your FSB concerns... my P35 board only officially supports 333 MHz FSB (1333 quad pumped), but I run it @ 400 MHz (1600 quad pumped) all the time. I did the same thing on my older P965 board which at the time as well didn't officially support the 333 MHz (1333 quad pumped) FSB either. That machine has been running 9x333 for over a year now with no ill-effects.

I have a ratio of 5:6 for my memory (8.5x400 on the processor and 960 MHz for the RAM). The RAM is DDR2-1066 so technically I'm underclocking the RAM. That doesn't matter though. There are nominal gains from running @ 4:5 vs 1:1 to set your mind at ease. I ran my old q6600 @ 1:1 just because 3:5 required so much more MB vcores. My new machine on this new board does 5:6 just fine so that's what I run.

Here is a comparison of 1:1 vs. 3:5 on my Q6600. Not too much faster as you can see.

I'd keep your machine @ 10x333 if it's stable with your 833 (4:5) memory divider... that said, try 9x400 and see if it can run cool enough and stable (see the guide for the p95 testing procedure). If your temps are ok @ 3.6 GHz, and you like it, run it that way.

You can do some benchmarking with your fav. games too. Run the timed demo in the following modes a total of three times per mode, then average the fps:

10x333 @ 4:5
10x333 @ 1:1
9x400 @ 1:1*

*Assuming it's stable!

Are there any differences?

http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/359444.png

Last edited by graysky; 05-07-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2008
micro ATX User

Graysky,

Thanks for the quick reply and comparison link. I DLed Prime95 and ran the StressTest with ((10x1333) = 3.3g CPU setup with 667(333) DDR 1:1 ratio) using (auto) voltages for about 20 minutes. I chickened out and aborted early with no errors at about the 20 minute mark, when my core temps hit 65c. I know that's technically still within the acceptable operating temp range, but being that I've been used to seeing my temps around 28-35c max under full load, I found the added 30c to be enough to make me lose my courage for this first round of testing and decided to pick up from where I left off at a later time. Chalked it up to experience and called it a good run, hahaha.

Being that I made it through post and booted windows is a good thing. I plan on refreshing myself on adjusting the core voltages down from they're current (auto) settings to the lowest stable voltages in an effort to reduce heat. It was late and I decided it would be better to freshen up on what I've learned about setting the voltages before I went ahead any further, so for now I've set my settings back to what I had been running.

I live in the Northeastern U.S. and it's getting to that time of year when it can start to get pretty hot outside. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to wait until I install my air conditioning unit back into my room so that I can move forward with a cool and constant room temperature.

I will be giving it another go-round when I get my nerve back up and will let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again Graysky!
Old 05-09-2008
500W User

You're welcome... be prepared to run for a good 24 h to verify stability... crank up that a/c

65 C is no big deal for a G0 Q6600 dude...

Old 05-10-2008
500W User

Version 1.6.1 is up. Totally re-wrote the section on memory which now includes a discussion on both DDR2/DDR3 and formulas you can use to calculate max supported FSB of a given module based on it's DDRX-Y and PCX-Y designations. Also re-ordered the first part of the guide.

Old 01-26-2009
Banned

I must say it's very good article and clarify a lot of my doubts