jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Software > General Software

General Software Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer software

Old 08-20-2007
Site Founder

Default Exchange/Outlook problem

There has to be a work around for this....

I'm accessing email from an Exchange server. Using Outlook in the office, using pop-mail outside of the office.

I set up some "rules" to organize mail in my Inbox. "From Mike," "From Rick," "From Jim," etc. But what I've found is that these rules are actually set up on the server when I set them up in Outlook and take the mail out of the Inbox and puts them in their appropriate sub-folders even though those sub-folders are within the Inbox.

How is this a problem?

Well, when I check my mail with a pop client, like Outlook Express or Thunderbird, I don't receive any mail that's been filtered by a rule. I only receive email that lands directly in the root Inbox. The only way I can read mail that's in a sub-folder is if I'm on the Exchange server using Outlook on a PC in the office or via OWA.

This is VERY clunky. There has to be a way around this. Any suggestions?
Old 08-20-2007
Just kidding, not banned

Can you set up POP for the in house PC? If so use POP in house, set the rules in Outlook for the pop account and remove the rules from exchange.

Just an idea.
Old 08-20-2007
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
Can you set up POP for the in house PC? If so use POP in house, set the rules in Outlook for the pop account and remove the rules from exchange.

Just an idea.
I can, but then I miss out on features like calender, etc. that everyone else on the Exchange server uses.

Trust me, I could just as easy as anything set up a pop client with client side rules/filters on the PC and be happy. But I'd like to also be able to take advantage of the other benefits of an exchange server while in the office.

It just escapes me how to set this up. Certainly Microsoft didn't forget to put a toggle in place to make rules client side vs. server side.
Old 08-27-2007
1kW User

First, are you using OE as a POP client ?

Second, did you try this one ?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...-Windows.shtml

It could be what you are looking for. I can't talk from experience as I don't use it.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2007
Site Founder

Sorry, that has nothing to do with my issue. I'm not looking for a calender program. I'm trying to find a way to get my subfolder's email from an Exchange server using a POP client.
Old 08-27-2007
1kW User

Quote:
Sorry, that has nothing to do with my issue. I'm not looking for a calender program.
This is not a calender program Jonny. It's an Outlook replacement. It has the ability to connect to Exchange Server. It's actually a Linux project :
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/features.shtml

But it is possible that this is still not you're looking for.

Quote:
I'm trying to find a way to get my subfolder's email from an Exchange server using a POP client.
Ok. I think I now have a clearer picture of what you want to do (not totally yet). I assume you want to do this remotely (outside of workplace). I believe you should be able to do this using OE and IMAP instead of POP if your server lets you to use it. Exchange itself support IMAP but servers can be configured to not to allow certain protocols.