jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 04-24-2016
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
Actually, we had it all wrong. The EVGA 550 G2 is most likely a safe power supply.

Here is the Tomshardware review for the 550 G2: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ly,4244-4.html

It says 11ms is the hold-up time, but that is not true! The old testing equipment did not test hold-up time, it instead tested AC_LOSS to PWR_OK, even though they were falsely called hold-up time tests. So the G2 has a much lower AC_LOSS to PWR_OK value than the Leadex Gold 550, which means the 550 G2 should be 100% safe.

Aris' new testing equipment doesn't add in AC_LOSS to PWR_OK testing; it simply renames the old test, which was called "hold-up time tests", to "AC_LOSS to PWR_OK". Which means the new testing equipment is used to test real hold-up time.

The 650 G2 manages to have twice as high of an AC_LOSS to PWR_OK time than the 550 G2 and it uses the same bulk capacitor. It is the 650 G2 that is the problem, not the 550 G2. The 750 G2 also has too high of AC_LOSS to PWR_OK time, which means that that unit is also a problem.

The 850 G2 is at 17.1ms, so it may or may not be a problem.
Great logical assumptions all of them!!
Unfortunately, we are talking about a PSU, a critical component, whose proper function is essential for the longevity & stability for the rest of the hardware!
(*and the great failure of SF Leadex Gold550 has been a real shock to me, that had impact for the entire Leadex platform )
So now i need reviews (data) to verify logic.
P.S.:Regardless to what i said, quite possibly, all the assumptions that you made are correct! Great work!
RAM:4 GB DDR 400MHz
GPU:Asus 750 Ti 2GB
PSU:Seasonic Platinum 660
Monitor:Asus VE228HR
Tower:Coolermaster Elite 430
Old 04-24-2016
???

and 650 P2 will also be problematic or rather this model is safe?

what is more important power supply regulation and filtering ?. because I feel that what has been discussed in this topic is concerned that the regulation is also important but I think after all the filtering is more important, if I'm wrong let someone correct me

Last edited by Kuonirath; 04-24-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2016
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuonirath View Post
and 650 P2 will also be problematic or rather this model is safe?
As @turkey3_scratch, very correctly mentioned, at the old test, Aris used to measure "AC_LOSS to PWR_OK" instead of "Hold-UP time".
Based on his review, the "AC_LOSS to PWR_OK" is 17.1ms ( http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ly,4364-4.html ), so even if it did fail the new test, at least there wouldn't be any large deviation between the "AC_LOSS to PWR_OK" and the "Hold-UP time" (all these are theories of course! In my opinion, since the Hold_UP test has been modified/upgraded, then all the previous reviews should be modified as well! )
Old 04-24-2016
was here for PSUs, now for the jokes

On Tomshardware we are trying to get Aris to test one of the G2 units to see if this problem is here for sure.
Old 12-04-2017
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
On Tomshardware we are trying to get Aris to test one of the G2 units to see if this problem is here for sure.
Sorry about necro'ing the thread, but are there any new tests for G2 series, like 750 and 850?

I searched a bit on the net and the forum but couldn't find new info.
Old 12-05-2017
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp View Post
Sorry about necro'ing the thread, but are there any new tests for G2 series, like 750 and 850?

I searched a bit on the net and the forum but couldn't find new info.
new tests .....no, new speculations....yes!! ( http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14865 )
P.S.1 Anyway, if the PSU that you need must be an EVGA one why don't you go for the G3 line, which is an upgraded line?
P.S.2: Personally i believe that EVGA especially (*not sure for Superflower because it's a much smaller company), should have resolved this -(*theoretical-since it was proven only with the SF Leadex Gold550)- problem after all this time. The important factor in my opinion is customer reviews at Newegg & Amazon. According to these reviews , we can assume that the customers are very pleased from the G2 line, with minimum complaints (*even myself, as a person who hates taking risks, i also use an EVGA G2 750 at one of my PCs)
Old 12-05-2017
200W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith'ari View Post
new tests .....no, new speculations....yes!! ( http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14865 )
P.S.1 Anyway, if the PSU that you need must be an EVGA one why don't you go for the G3 line, which is an upgraded line?
P.S.2: Personally i believe that EVGA especially (*not sure for Superflower because it's a much smaller company), should have resolved this -(*theoretical-since it was proven only with the SF Leadex Gold550)- problem after all this time. The important factor in my opinion is customer reviews at Newegg & Amazon. According to these reviews , we can assume that the customers are very pleased from the G2 line, with minimum complaints (*even myself, as a person who hates taking risks, i also use an EVGA G2 750 at one of my PCs)
Well, I'm using G2 750 too for the last 2.5 years in my PC. Just stumbled upon this issue while looking for something else. So I'm kinda worried about it right now.

It'd be great if Aris retest one of these PSUs, since they are still pretty popular.

On the other hand Aris' P2 750 review seems quite good with the all hold-up time, AC Loss to PWR_OK and PWR_OK Inactive to DC Loss tests. I wonder if there's any dramatic differences between G2 and P2 in terms of bulk caps etc... Their hold up time is the same (around 22 ms) but we don't know how G2 750 performs in other tests.

Last edited by supertramp; 12-05-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2017
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertramp View Post
Well, I'm using G2 750 too for the last 2.5 years in my PC. Just stumbled upon this issue while looking for something else. So I'm kinda worried about it right now.

It'd be great if Aris retest one of these PSUs, since they are still pretty popular.

On the other hand Aris' P2 750 review seems quite good with the all hold-up time, AC Loss to PWR_OK and PWR_OK Inactive to DC Loss tests. I wonder if there's any dramatic differences between G2 and P2 in terms of bulk caps etc... Their hold up time is the same (around 22 ms) but we don't know how G2 750 performs in other tests.
As i said above, time itself is the best judge. The G2 line exists for many years now, and during these years there are thousands of customer-reviews at Amazon & Newegg about the G2 PSUs.
From these thousands customer-reviews the complaints are minimal by average % (*especially when compared with other other PSUs).

P.S. And if you read customer-reviews in general, you'll notice that customers can very easily become very.... ruthless !! -(i've been ruthless myself quite few times)- with their scores if they find something that annoys them about the product they bought, so don't worry