jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General PC Hardware

General PC Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware. Includes UPS's and monitors.

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2016
micro ATX User

Default For top and rear end fans, they should be blowing air in or our?

I am confuse on this subject and even though I done tons of research on it. For both my rear and and top case fans, I have the pointing out of the case. Is this the correct way to do it?

edit: sorry, I forgot this doen't belong here. Please move to "general hardware"

Last edited by TheMasterNinja; 09-03-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2016
Silencer & heathen relic of a human ( by OW)

It depends: broadly speaking you likely need an exhaust path around the CPU, but that depends of the actual heat in that area, of which kind of CPU cooler you're using (and how), and last but not least of the case actual airflow.
Old 09-03-2016
Naughty

Yeah, you need to consider the entire case airflow to get the best solution.

But keep in mind that quiet sleeve- and rifle-bearing case fans prefer to be positioned either vertically or pushing air upwards for the longest operating life and quietest operation. Having them point down (and thus the impeller "hanging" from the bearing) would be less than ideal.

Ball-bearing fans don't mind, though.

I'm a fan of the "overpressure" approach, i.e. more intake than exhaust, and good quality dust filters on all intakes. Makes maintenance less of a chore. Doesn't automatically means more fans on the intake, just more combined intake airflow.

If you're going to tax your CPU much more than your GPU, having the fans in its vicinity feed it fresh air instead of evacuate hot air are actually going to hinder cooling - speaking from personal experience. It was counter-intuitive for me as well, but the numbers don't lie. Up to 6C of temp difference in favor of hot air evacuation.
Old 09-03-2016
micro ATX User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel View Post
Yeah, you need to consider the entire case airflow to get the best solution.

But keep in mind that quiet sleeve- and rifle-bearing case fans prefer to be positioned either vertically or pushing air upwards for the longest operating life and quietest operation. Having them point down (and thus the impeller "hanging" from the bearing) would be less than ideal.

Ball-bearing fans don't mind, though.

I'm a fan of the "overpressure" approach, i.e. more intake than exhaust, and good quality dust filters on all intakes. Makes maintenance less of a chore. Doesn't automatically means more fans on the intake, just more combined intake airflow.

If you're going to tax your CPU much more than your GPU, having the fans in its vicinity feed it fresh air instead of evacuate hot air are actually going to hinder cooling - speaking from personal experience. It was counter-intuitive for me as well, but the numbers don't lie. Up to 6C of temp difference in favor of hot air evacuation.
so you say some fans should be both intake and exhaust? Honestly, this the most confusing thing when it comes to pc building. I cna't make heads or tails which direction the fan should be facing? I'm using a stock intel cpu cooler have a corsair spec 01 so I much not sure how good the air flow is
Old 09-03-2016
Naughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMasterNinja View Post
so you say some fans should be both intake and exhaust?
Uh... No. Because that doesn't make physical sense.
Though I have to admit my wording wasn't the best ever in that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMasterNinja View Post
I'm using a stock intel cpu cooler have a corsair spec 01 so I much not sure how good the air flow is
Excellent, we have some actual data! But we really need more if you're seeking specific advice. The original post called for some generalized pointers rather than a specific solution. We don't mind providing the latter, but:

- Please post your full PC specs; CPU, RAM, Graphics, number of hard drives/SSDs, number and make/model of all the fans you have available
- Have you done any cable management? Photos might help.
- Is the PC going to be in a dusty environment? Are you a smoker? If not, is anyone else going to be doing any heavy smoking around the PC? Pot doesn't count, just cigarettes
- Have you ever built a PC from individual components before, or is this your first?

Please answer the above and then we can make some worthwhile suggestions.
Old 06-24-2018
micro ATX User

I couldnt help but jump in here since im going to be installing fans too. I also am perplexed on the whole positive vs negative pressure thing. So looking around i found this, hope it helps you like it helped me, each case and setup is different but there are basics that need to be followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a12aDCxrcts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NYHC3DXynM&t=11s
Old 06-24-2018
Site Founder

Thanked 1,895 Times in 1,169 Posts

This thread is nearly two years old... and you bump it?

Rest in peace Joerg Theissen, aka "GI Joe"
Closed Thread