jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware

Old 10-28-2013
micro ATX User

Smile Building a New PC - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition

Hello everyone.

I would like to ask your help to build my new computer. I already have in my house a new Mid-Tower NZXT Lexa Classic Series.

I will not do overclocking in my computer.

The equipment I have in my mind to buy is this:
- AMD FX 8350 Black Edition 4.0/4.2GHz;
- Seasonic Platinum 460W;
- Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.

My questions are:
- Which one you recommend: power supply of 460W or 550W?
- This motherboard from Asus is good or there's other much better?
- What is the best memory brand to buy? I will use 8GB/1866Mhz.
- What is the best cooling for the CPU?
- I'm torn between choosing a 520W Platinum Series (156) or 550W Plus Gold (110). What do you recommend?
Antec have a similar power supply - EarthWatts 650 Platinum - and it's cheaper (109) but this power supply was not made by Seasonic but by FSP, you can see here: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page673.htm
- What is the best CL and voltage (Memory) for this Motherboard and CPU?

I really appreciate all the help.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
John
Old 10-28-2013
1kW User

I don't know where you are... judging by the Euro currency i assume euro, but still... some countries have huge prices for some components compared to other countries.

Generally FX 8350 is not worth the price. FX 8320 is quite cheaper and the performance difference is small. It's really worth spending the price difference in a quality third party cooler, the stock cooler that comes with the processor is noisy.

What video card are you planning to use? Video card is quite important when choosing a power supply.

Seasonic Platinum 460w... why? You're paying a lot more for that "Platinum" word, and you're not going to save more in energy costs compared to a "Gold" efficiency power supply.

A 460-550w power supply will be good enough for a system with a video card that has up to 1 x 8 pin pci-e connector or 2 x 6 pin pci-e connectors.
I'd recommend going for the 550w plus gold at 110 euro, or look for one of those Seasonic G series 450w... but again, depends on where you are and what video card you have.

Asus motherboards are OK, I personally like Gigabyte motherboards more. But do you really need such high end motherboard? I currently use a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard and it works great with the FX-8320 I have.

Latency is not that important with AMD processors. CL9 or CL10 will be fine, won't make a difference. There will be a slight performance difference between 1333, 1600 and 1866 Mhz ... I'd suggest going for 1866 Mhz. As for brands.. whatever you want ... I prefer Corsair but I wouldn't mind Kingston or anything that's not the "budget"/"value" type of memories.
Old 10-28-2013
~y

If you're not going to overclock the CPU, then I'd go for Intel - i5-4440/4570 shout fit your needs.
Old 10-28-2013
micro ATX User

Thanks for your reply mariush and yojo2!

I live in Portugal.

During a few months I will use a old video card that I have but I'm not sure about the model and brand because I gave my graphic card to a friend.

I really like this board ASRock 990FX Extreme9 but I saw more reviews saying good things about Asus than ASRock. I don't know which one I should choose, but ASRock have more features, except that Asus supports PCIe 3.0 and ASRock don't.

From CPUBenchmark.net AMD FX 8350 is better than Intel I5 4440/4570.

Cheers.
Old 10-28-2013
~y

It really depends what do you plan to use your PC for. FX is faster than i5 in a select few apps. It's cheap for a reason.
Old 10-28-2013
1kW User

Don't buy a motherboard just because it supports PCI Express 3.0 - get a cheaper motherboard and spend that extra money on something else.

PCI Express 3.0 is downwards compatible with 2.0 so all video cards will work just fine. Video cards nowadays don't even get close to using the full capability of PCIe 2.0, basically you're only going to see a minor improvement if you're going to play games on 3 monitors for example

The ASRock 990FX Extreme9 looks great, though it's still a bit expensive. You can get cheaper boards that are just as good, with the same chipset and capabilities.

The FX-8350 won't overclock a lot, so there's no point getting an expensive motherboard in the hope of overclocking. In contrast, pretty much all FX-8320 processors will overclock to FX-8350 levels and this can be done successfully even with cheaper boards.

Going with an Intel is a good idea. Consider that these FX processors are probably the last that will be available on Socket AM3+, so you won't have any upgrade option in the future.

You could go for a socket 1150 motherboard and a processor like i5 4440 which will be just a bit more expensive compared to a FX-8320.

Yes, i5 4440 technically is weaker than the FX-8320 or FX-8350 (performance wise, the quad core i5 will be like a fx-8320 or fx-8350 with only 5-6 cores enabled) but in video games, the difference of performance is not noticeable because most games only use 2-4 cpu cores. The eight cores of those FX processors are noticeable only when you're doing video encoding or conversions, database stuff, data compression (winrar, 7zip etc) and in just a handful of games that use processor a lot, like Battlefield I think.

There's also the difference in power consumption (tdp of 84 watts for i5 compared to a tdp of 125 watts for FX cpus) which may help you decide on saving some money by going with a 460w psu instead of a 550w one...

And when you have some extra money, you could put the i5 4440 on eBay or sell it to a friend and buy a stronger cpu.
Old 10-28-2013
Hardware Insights Owner/Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
I really like this board ASRock 990FX Extreme9 but I saw more reviews saying good things about Asus than ASRock. I don't know which one I should choose, but ASRock have more features, except that Asus supports PCIe 3.0 and ASRock don't.
Neither. I'd pick a Gigabyte board, and an Intel CPU. The synthetic benchmarks often don't reflect real-world usage.

I'd go with something like a GA-Z87-DH3P and i5 4440 or 4570, as per mariush's suggestion.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.