jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > PC Power Supply Discussion

PC Power Supply Discussion Troubleshooting and discussion of computer power supplies

Old 10-01-2013
500W User

Solved! The Silverstone SST-ST85ZF that I had in another PC (now unused) had very little use in the other PC. IT is a very good PSU and is running this super strong machine flawlessly. Let's hope it continues

The Seasonic was pulling 171 watts with me on the internet according to my UPS and the Silverstone is pulling around 200 watts with the same activity. As a result, I think the other power supply was under powering the PC causing anything on the motherboard like RAM or the CPU to shut off due to not enough power.

Also, the Seasonic is acting the same way on my PSU voltage tester. It will turn on and then off.

I bought the Seasonic on Black Friday of last year. It shows a 7 year warranty in the instruction manual. I think I will RMA it and get a new one. I only paid $79 for it on Black Friday. If I decide to RMA it, I will just keep it in the box as a new backup, because I think my Silverstone SST-ST85ZF is a better PSU.

Part of it I am sure is due to efficiency, but regardless, the PC is running great with 1.5V to the 64 GB of RAM.

Last edited by mwhals; 10-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2013
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
well, on the basis of that, it does sound like time to RMA the Seasonic.

You have patience of a saint.
No one can give me that much credit on patience. I just didn't have time to work on the computer beyond bios tweaks until tonight.

I thank everyone for their help, but in the end it was the PSU.
Old 10-03-2013
500W User

Asus QFan works now too, so I guess the power supply wasn't spinning the CPU fans up fast enough.
Old 10-15-2013
500W User

I RMAed the Seasonic PSU back to Seasonic and I just received notification that they have shipped a package to me. Since I know that they charge $25 before they will ship your PSU back if they find no problems, they must have found a problem with my unit. I don't know if it is a new replacement or if mine was repaired, but I will know when I receive it by comparing serial numbers.
Old 10-16-2013
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
The Seasonic was pulling 171 watts with me on the internet according to my UPS and the Silverstone is pulling around 200 watts with the same activity. As a result, I think the other power supply was under powering the PC causing anything on the motherboard like RAM or the CPU to shut off due to not enough power.
I'm afraid that's not how it works.

But it does sound like maybe a dead contact somewhere so some part of the board wasn't getting juice. Either that or a voltage that's so off that it was causing problems.

Either way, time to RMA the Seasonic.
Old 10-17-2013
500W User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
I'm afraid that's not how it works.

But it does sound like maybe a dead contact somewhere so some part of the board wasn't getting juice. Either that or a voltage that's so off that it was causing problems.

Either way, time to RMA the Seasonic.
Thanks. It is on its return trip to me from Seasonic as I had already sent it back via RMA. They definitely found something to repair or replace, because they charge $25 before they will ship it back if they find no problems.
Old 10-21-2013
500W User

I received my replacement PSU from Seasonic. The original had a manufacture date of September 2012 and the replacement serial number shows June 2013 as the manufactured date.

I guess they decided to send a replacement rather than repair the original. Not sure if this one is a refurb or not and would not even know how to tell.