jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > General Electronics > Electronic Component Discussion

Electronic Component Discussion Discussion of anything pertaining to electronics and the components that make them work

Old 11-07-2011
micro ATX User

Default Component ID??

First post, folks. Go easy.

In any case, my ham-handedness has caused some collateral damage to my car radio. I managed to rip a small surface mount component from the board and I can't identify it. It's on the power supply board and the format appears to be SOT23-5 (3mm on the long side). The item has 5 connections, two on one edge and 3 on the other, and the markings are 'C2' and then '28' printed 90 degrees counterclockwise to the C2 marking. If this description doesn't do it, I'll try for a picture or at least a drawing.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tony
Old 11-07-2011
Site Founder

Well... SOT23 is a type of package. The "-5" denotes that it has five pins. Could be a voltage supervisor or a boost converter. Hard to say as "C2" and "28" doesn't really tell us much. Usually there's a brand, logo or some sort of part number on the packaging. Stating what kind of packaging the packaging is on the top of the package is kind of redundant. Sort of like a capacitor that has "capacitor" written down the side.
Old 11-07-2011
micro ATX User

Thanks, GURU. I should have been more clear. After some googling, I was the one who came with the SOT23-5 format. This wasn't actually printed on the chip. I need a bigger magnifying glass to see if there are any other markings, but I do have a microscope at work so I'll take a closer look tomorrow.