jonnyGURU Forums
Home Site Search Reviews Articles Contest Links PSU FAQs  

Go Back   jonnyGURU Forums > Computer Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Troubleshooting and discussion of any computer hardware

Old 09-16-2011
Thermaltake representative

Default What Can Thermaltake Do For You

Hello,

Thermaltake is actively working on getting community feedback on existing and future Thermaltake products. We would like you as the enthusiast community to provide feedback on your experience with present Thermaltake product, and also any product, Idea or changes you would like to see from Thermaltake in the future. Thermaltake is here to support the enthusiast community and we would like to address any issues or concerns you have so that your experience with Thermaltake is excellent and our products will improve to better suit your needs. Please feel free to discuss, comment or provide suggestions as we are here for you and we are willing to work directly with you to assist with any issues that may arise. Please let us know what you would like to see from Thermaltake or what we can change to make a product that would be more suited to what you would like.

Thank you
Thermaltake Enthusiasts support
Old 09-16-2011
1kW User

I would just like to mention that I have the (excellent) Tt Armor + Black windowed case. When I took off the side panel a few weeks ago, I dropped it and therefore ripped off the power supply side connector (male) to the 200mm window fan.
I emailed Tt support and received an email shortly after saying that they would happily send me a replacement connector cable FOC, which they did and it turned up a few days later.
However, on opening the bag I found a knife nick cut into the insulation of one of the wires, which did work with some insulation tape around it.
I emailed them back to advise them, and they again sent me another cable FOC which was in perfect condition.
That attention to a very minor matter in the scheme of things rather impressed me, and since I have had 3 different models of their cases, I shall continue to buy them when needed in the future.........and won't need to look anywhere else.
Thanks Tt.
Vista-64-(default OS)-Win7-64-Win8-64..Tt Armor+..HX1050..i7 920(stock)+Noctua U12..GA EX58 Extreme..6x1GB Corsair Dominator... 2 x GA 6870OC CF..onboard sound..2 x 300GB WD V-Raptors..1 x Samsung 1TB F3..1 x WD 1TB..1 x 500GB Caviar Green..Samsung T220(22")..Dell 2408WFP(24").

Last edited by Baron; 09-29-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2011
Flux Capacitor User

I got a review sample of XT 575W, I got only one real complaint:

fan is too loud @idle, which actually is common occurence for CWT made units - rpm are around 1000.

Can anything be done about it in future products in that range? (I haven't heard TPG yet).

Last edited by rafal_iB_PL; 09-16-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2011
Flux Capacitor User

You could stop rebranding the same HEC 300W as forty different model of 400-450W power supply (PurePower 430W, TR2 430W, PurePower 450W, essentially all variants of the W0069/W0070 series). And remove all the overrated models from your lineup in general.

That would be nice.
Old 09-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I would just like to mention that I have the (excellent) Tt Armor + Black windowed case. When I took off the side panel a few weeks ago, I dropped it and therefore ripped off the power supply side connector (male) to the 200mm window fan.
I emailed Tt support and received an email shortly after saying that they would happily send me a replacement connector cable FOC, which they did and it turned up a few days later.
However, on opening the bag I found a knife nick cut into the insulation of one of the wires, which did work with some insulation tape around it.
I emailed them back to advise them, and they again sent me another cable FOC which was in perfect condition.
That attention to a very minor matter in the scheme of things rather impressed me, and since I have had 3 different models of their cases, I shall continue to buy them when needed in the future.........and won't need to look anywher else.
Thanks Tt.
Thank you for the kind words, that is awesome to hear we are definitely here to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
I got a review sample of XT 575W, I got only one real complaint:

fan is too loud @idle, which actually is common occurence for CWT made units - rpm are around 1000.

Can anything be done about it in future products in that range? (I haven't heard TPG yet).
I will definitely check which model of fan used and weather the input voltage can be dropped to slow the fan more without compromising stability or longevity, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
You could stop rebranding the same HEC 300W as forty different model of 400-450W power supply (PurePower 430W, TR2 430W, PurePower 450W, essentially all variants of the W0069/W0070 series). And remove all the overrated models from your lineup in general.

That would be nice.
I can definitely check into your concern as I am not aware of this issue but I will definitely look into it.

thank you for bringing it to my attention as well.
Old 09-16-2011
Flux Capacitor User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tt enthusiasts View Post
I can definitely check into your concern as I am not aware of this issue but I will definitely look into it.

thank you for bringing it to my attention as well.
Glad to hear you're looking into it.

Gabriel Torres discovered the overrating with his PurePower NP 430W review, and every 430/450W Thermaltake I've seen reviewed or opened up since then, maybe four or five units from three or four SKUs, has been the same power supply with minor changes. Sometimes different caps (brand or value), sometimes a modular connector interface, sometimes a different bridge rectifier... But base platform has stayed the same, as has the major silicon, when identified. And Gabe found this platform's OPP cuts in and shuts the PSU down at 350-355W, which is indicative of a ~300W PSU.

Oh, the TR2 450P is fine, that was a Channel Well DSA I think. But every other 430/450W has been the same HEC.
Old 09-16-2011
1kW User

Adding my 2 cents here as well... I bought Tt stuff in the past, for example a nice big 4U case for a dual processor server and was impressed with the quality.

But I have to say I share the opinion of the poster above me.

I'm living in Romania and friends often ask me for advice regarding what should they buy but I'm reluctant to recommend Tt power supplies simply because I just can't keep track of their quality (revision, oem manufacturer) and often the online store's description does not match the product number (the code that starts with W) and so on.

Take a look for example at the offer of these two online stores in Romania:

http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/thermaltake/
http://www.emag.ro/surse/termaltake/sort-priceasc

So let's see what we have:

W0089RE TR2
Litepower 450W
TR2 RX 450W
W0134 TR2 RX
TR2 700w
Toughpower XT 775W
TR2-800P 800W
Toughpower Grand 650W
TP-1350M
TPG-850M
W0355RE

Without any research, which one is better, what should I pick from this list and recommend when someone asks me on the phone?

The names are all over the place - why is a 600 watt psu cheaper than a 470w one, why is TR2 RX 550w about 20$ cheaper than a TR2 RX 450w... it's a mess.

They're also more expensive than Corsair CX models, the cheapest (470w one) is about 15$ more expensive than the Corsair CX V2 430 watts and has basically the same price as a CX V2 500w from Corsair. But I guess it's up to the local distributors or due to low number of units sold or something like that.

Oh... and there's stupid stuff like this :

http://www.emag.ro/surse/sursa-therm...50w--pTP-1350M - ~267 dollars for 1350 watts vs http://www.emag.ro/surse/sursa-therm...50w--pTPG-850M ~ 370$ for 850 watts
Old 09-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
Adding my 2 cents here as well... I bought Tt stuff in the past, for example a nice big 4U case for a dual processor server and was impressed with the quality.

But I have to say I share the opinion of the poster above me.

I'm living in Romania and friends often ask me for advice regarding what should they buy but I'm reluctant to recommend Tt power supplies simply because I just can't keep track of their quality (revision, oem manufacturer) and often the online store's description does not match the product number (the code that starts with W) and so on.

Take a look for example at the offer of these two online stores in Romania:

http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/thermaltake/
http://www.emag.ro/surse/termaltake/sort-priceasc

So let's see what we have:

W0089RE TR2
Litepower 450W
TR2 RX 450W
W0134 TR2 RX
TR2 700w
Toughpower XT 775W
TR2-800P 800W
Toughpower Grand 650W
TP-1350M
TPG-850M
W0355RE

Without any research, which one is better, what should I pick from this list and recommend when someone asks me on the phone?

The names are all over the place - why is a 600 watt psu cheaper than a 470w one, why is TR2 RX 550w about 20$ cheaper than a TR2 RX 450w... it's a mess.

They're also more expensive than Corsair CX models, the cheapest (470w one) is about 15$ more expensive than the Corsair CX V2 430 watts and has basically the same price as a CX V2 500w from Corsair. But I guess it's up to the local distributors or due to low number of units sold or something like that.

Oh... and there's stupid stuff like this :

http://www.emag.ro/surse/sursa-therm...50w--pTP-1350M - ~267 dollars for 1350 watts vs http://www.emag.ro/surse/sursa-therm...50w--pTPG-850M ~ 370$ for 850 watts
Unfortunately we cannot control pricing that resellers put on their products as it can vary in many different locations. I could definitely see where it becomes a source of frustration though.

I really wish there was something I could do for that.
Old 09-16-2011
Danke schön

Some thoughts have already been reflected well here.

My biggest issue with Thermaltake as a company is the stark difference in quality between a low end product (like the TR2 line of PSU's, or the Challenger line of keyboards) and you high end product like (like the ToughpowerXT units & Meka series of keyboards.)

More focus should be put towards quality components. If quality means you need to loose some features, so be it. Don't let it be the other way around though.

I also agree that you should focus on fan speed and keeping the max sound pressure from a unit around 30dB(A), as that'll make your products more attractive as a whole.

Another thing, is that units which can support 150w GPU's (e.g. 2 x PCIe 6pin connectors) should have them. So 2 x 6pin on quality 450w products would give you an edge against the competition who will use a single PCIe connector.

Also; for your case division, use the community as a resource and gather greater community input. I've done so for companies in the past, and it always turns out a better product in the end. Because unless you've worked with many cases, there's some simple things which can get over looked.

If you want more specifics in regards to certain products; I'd be glad to give my thoughts. Though, the devil is in the details as they say.
Old 09-17-2011
TPU PSU Editor

TR2-800 is clearly overrated (regarding its capacity) and on top of that it has a really huge problem with operating temperatures that exceed 40C. In general I think it's very unreliable and the least you could do is to add OTP (Over Temperature Protection) to it.

Also you should definitely lower the prices of your high-end PSUs (e.g. Toughpower Grand Series) because their performance/price ratio with the current prices is very low. On top of that, in my humble opinion for a high-end PSU series you should use only one of the best OEMs and no a clearly inferior one which can offer only budget/outdated platforms.

It's was a very good move to join this forum and ask for our opinion. For PSUs (and not only) you will get some great feedback here