Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Please check my potential Rig, what do you guys think?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Please check my potential Rig, what do you guys think?

    Hello, I'm building my first PC from scratch and being new to all this I wanted to run what I have brainstormed so far by people with more experience and knowledge about the components before I make a final decision.

    I did a fair amount of research on all of these items individually but I want to get a read on how everything will work together.
    This is what I have in mind:

    - Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H Intel Mainboard LGA 1155 **Is having a Micro ATX going to be a problem in any area? I think I'm going with a BitFenix Shinobi Case.**
    - Intel Core i5 3570K LGA 1155 (With a CM 412 Sleeve)
    - eVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB Super Clocked
    - Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9
    - Kingston 120GB HyperX 3K SSD (Don't think I will be needing an extra HDD and have a couple already if I do)
    - SeaSonic S12II 520W **Is it worth it to pay a little extra (like $9) for the modular version (M12II)? Even if I know little about each plug and fitting them manually?**
    - ASUS 24" VS248H WS LED

    I am happy with the price as it is but won't mind if I have to go the extra $100 or so to get a system that works properly in sync (No bottlenecking and little resource wastage!). Let me know if you think it's a bit everywhere and suggest what I should change as I am aware I may have over done it in some areas. My aim to is to get the most out of the units and have it work together well overall.
    It will be used primarily for gaming of various types (I play LoL which I know isn't at all very demanding but also Fallout, Skyrim, XCOM, Farcry 3 etc.) but streaming and downloading as a close secondary use.

    Let me know if there are any more details that could help.

    Thanks a lot in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    in your bathroom
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Welcome to the forum!

    Where are you buying from and what is your budget for this build? (let us have a look at what else is on offer and if the budget allows for any improvements)
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Original Sin For This Useful Post:

    Budge414 (01-03-2013)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    15,934
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    528
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    210
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

    Default

    You don't have to "know about each plug and fitting them manually" on a modular PSU. It's basically a "peg A fits into hole A" design. Hard to screw up. But if you don't see the benefits of a modular PSU right now, I seriously doubt you're going to appreciate them after the $9 upcharge.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

    Budge414 (01-03-2013)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

    Where are you buying from and what is your budget for this build? (let us have a look at what else is on offer and if the budget allows for any improvements)
    I live in Victoria, Aus so pricing is fairly different to what is on most sites and I intend to physically go into a store when I decide what to get (CENTRECOM.com.au) but PCCASEGEAR.com has the closest prices to what I'm already looking at and is based here.

    I'm not on a real strict budget if more expensive components will be worth it in the long run (which I know may not be a 'long run' as most people upgrade after a few years or so. I hope to at least keep some parts for another build in the future) but I was hoping to spend maximum $1300.

    PCCG.com doesn't have exactly the same items available but I added things roughly the same price and came up at $1179 (compared to $1185 at CC). I did leave some room for a keyboard and a DVD Burner but they are not necessities, I will happily give them up if you feel I should for other better parts.

    Really appreciate your time!

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    You don't have to "know about each plug and fitting them manually" on a modular PSU. It's basically a "peg A fits into hole A" design. Hard to screw up. But if you don't see the benefits of a modular PSU right now, I seriously doubt you're going to appreciate them after the $9 upcharge.
    For $10 extra I would rather not regret it later. Was not even worth consideration! Thanks for your input!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WATERBURY, CT USA
    Posts
    545
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Matx has 4 expansion slots instead of 7. Basic concerns are the number of 2.0/3.0x16 video card slots (do you need more than one?). And the number of PCI and or PCIe sockets.
    The quality of the on motherboard VRMs matters, as does having heatsinks on them if overclocking (usually an indication the board fits the intended purpose).

    The Shinobi is a fine case.
    The question is what level of overclocking you intend to pursue?
    Ivy Bridge usually overclocks to 4.2 or so I think, on stock voltage. Power and cooling needs rise rapidly after 4.5/4.6.
    So a $30-60 cooler might be in order.
    CM 212 EVO gets a lot of mention if you have 160mm of height.
    The Phanteks PH-TC12DX is lower and better at $55-60 usa pricing
    CM 412 might be a bit dated, but I have not checked rankings.
    Only a concern if pushing your overclocks.
    Last edited by walterm; 01-06-2013 at 05:32 PM.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    in your bathroom
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budge414 View Post
    I live in Victoria, Aus so pricing is fairly different to what is on most sites and I intend to physically go into a store when I decide what to get (CENTRECOM.com.au) but PCCASEGEAR.com has the closest prices to what I'm already looking at and is based here.

    I'm not on a real strict budget if more expensive components will be worth it in the long run (which I know may not be a 'long run' as most people upgrade after a few years or so. I hope to at least keep some parts for another build in the future) but I was hoping to spend maximum $1300.

    PCCG.com doesn't have exactly the same items available but I added things roughly the same price and came up at $1179 (compared to $1185 at CC). I did leave some room for a keyboard and a DVD Burner but they are not necessities, I will happily give them up if you feel I should for other better parts.
    Had a look at Centrecom and they do have some nice stuff on offer, resonably prices also. Here's what I suggest:
    MoBo -> Asus GENE V (premium board, not cheap, but it has an excellent BIOS and equally good VRM, it's also one of the Z77 implementations, super OC abilities for both CPU and memory).
    VGA -> I'd suggest you go for a 7870 instead of the 660, or if budget allows it, the cheapest 7950 you can find (should be much more expensive than a 660, about 30-40$ at Centrecom).
    PSU -> not many cheap options there, the Antec HCG 520 seems to be the best solution price/performance wise.
    CPU Cooler -> NZXT Havik 140, it's cheap and superior to the Hyper 412.
    SSD -> Plextor M5S, it's cheaper than the Kingstone HyperX 3K and it based on much more reliable controller.

    The rest looks ok, but I would also suggest a different monitor, something with a IPS panel, maybe a Dell UltraSharp or something from LG (they seem to be well priced there).
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walterm View Post
    Matx has 4 expansion slots instead of 7. Basic concerns are the number of 2.0/3.0x16 video card slots (do you need more than one?). And the number of PCI and or PCIe sockets.
    The quality of the on motherboard VRMs matters, as does having heatsinks on them if overclocking (usually an indication the board fits the intended purpose).

    The Shinobi is a fine case.
    The question is what level of overclocking you intend to pursue?
    Ivy Bridge usually overclocks to 4.2 or so I think, on stock voltage. Power and cooling needs rise rapidlt after 4.5/4.6.
    So a $30-60 cooler might be in order.
    CM 212 EVO gets a lot of mention if you have 160mm of height.
    The Phanteks PH-TC12DX is lower and better at $55-60 usa pricing
    CM 412 might be a bit dated, but I have not checked rankings.
    Only a concern if pushing your overclocks.
    Looks like I'm changing to an i5 3550 anyway and removing the CPU cooler for now until I need it. (If I do overclock in the future I will then buy a Cooling unit.)

    The most I would probably be asking of the CPU may be something like Rome II: Total War when it is released in March (?) So I don't think overclocking is necessary for now anyway.

    but I would also suggest a different monitor, something with a IPS panel, maybe a Dell UltraSharp
    Heard that I'll get nicer picture quality on a smaller screen with the same (1920x1080) resolution. Also heard Dell are very good in the LED Monitor section. Add suggested IPS type, virtually ignore GTG response times and don't shop based on it.. (BTW I agree with all of these points made, not just going blind, did some research) and end up with a Dell 21.5" S2240L LED IPS. Sounds good to me!
    Last edited by Budge414; 01-04-2013 at 01:26 PM.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WATERBURY, CT USA
    Posts
    545
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Not "K" CPU cannot be multiplier overclocked.
    Be aware if you plan future overclocks beyond a couple of 100 GHz.

    if the price difference is low the K chip is more desirable.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,700
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    116
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Actually, non-K CPUs can be overclocked that way, but only as many bins as Turbo boost allows (usually up to 4x - 400 MHz). Requirement of appropriate chipset is still present.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Alright this is what it looks like now:

    - BitFenix Shinobi w/ Side Window
    - Intel CPU Core i5-3550
    - Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H Intel Mainboard
    - Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9
    - Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB OC
    - Plextor PX-128M5S 128GB SSD
    - Dell 21.5" S2240L LED IPS Monitor
    - SeaSonic M12II 520W Modular PSU

    If anyone believes I will have any issues at all just reply! Thanks so much for your time and patience!

Similar Threads

  1. Potential Sources of Ticking Noise in PSU?
    By arsenalist in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2017, 07:03 AM
  2. Twisting wires: any potential problem?
    By quest for silence in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2017, 12:20 PM
  3. Potential problem with brand new PSU?
    By enthusiast in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-26-2016, 11:36 AM
  4. Potential HX1000 issue with 5970 4GIG Quadfire
    By Flanno in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 12:04 PM
  5. Desktop PSU? Hmm.. potential.
    By Jon Gerow in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 06:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •