Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM XP "upgrades"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OEM XP "upgrades"

Looks like the cheapest way to get Vista as of now is to buy the OEM version of the WINdows XP of your choice and the upgrade coupon is free. My question is this: will that mean you won't have a fully installable version of Vista? what I'm getting at is, will I have to install the xp software and then "upgrade" it ? or do you think I will be able format and do a stand-alone installation of Vista? I have never done an "upgrade" of any OS, so I'm not sure how this works. Since my dear wife wants to keep the old beater box for scrapbooking, looks like I need and other copy of XP. Thought I might look down the road a little bit in case I decide to go Vista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You will be able to do a format and clean install. Even on a clean hard drive all it will do is ask you to put a Windows XP cd in to verify you own it, after its verified the CD (won't copy any files off it or anything, will just check it) it will ask you to put the Vista DVD back in then will proceed with a clean install.

Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Chilly, that helps. I didn't want to go down the road of an "ugraded"install, but I do need an OS for the system that I should be bulding in the next couple of days. I'm thinking of going the WINMCE to Vista Home Pro/premium or w/e it's called. I will miss remote desktopping though. The computer I'm building will be pretty much only for gaming, photoshopping and interwebbing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heres the upgrade chart in case anyones interested, the version you would get is Vista Home Premium if you go with XP MCE

Also, heres a link that shows you the differences between each versions of Vista.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...h-version.html

If you or ANYONE have Windows questions feel free to ask, I know quite alot about Vista's inner workings (as well as XP's :P).

Cheers ,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great Linky Chilly, answered more of the "things I wanted to know about Vista but where too afraid to ask" . I wonder how useful the scheduled backups is, I personally have never utilized an automated backup. Too bad Vista HPE doesn't have the image/ restore feature, sounds useful... in theory.

Thanks again for all the help. I think I am going to order WINXPMCE tonight.

-Scotty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by $cooter View Post
    Great Linky Chilly, answered more of the "things I wanted to know about Vista but where too afraid to ask" . I wonder how useful the scheduled backups is, I personally have never utilized an automated backup. Too bad Vista HPE doesn't have the image/ restore feature, sounds useful... in theory.

Thanks again for all the help. I think I am going to order WINXPMCE tonight.

-Scotty
    Why not just order Home Premium now? It's available.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....0&RSKU=AA66730

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like having the option of going back to Xp if I want/have to. Thanks for the update though, I didn't realize it was available for purchase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chilly, my Sister's build uses XP Office Pro. So what happens with Power Point, Word, Excel, etc. when up-grading to Vista?
    Aren't there driver issues yet to solve with it being 64bit?
    Will Vista function well on a 32bit system or will it demand a hardware up-grade to be smooth & sweet?

Sorry for the noibb questions.

Edit: Upon further reading I have noted that there will be a 32bit as well as 64bit edition. Will the 32bit edition be easily up-gradable?
    Last edited by GalvanizedYankee; 01-23-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: NOTED
    Worth a good looking over. http://www.badcaps.net/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, the oem upgrades are not stand alone installable. They are tied to the oem xp version and the machine to be installed on. You have to first install the oem xp, activate it, then you install the vista upgrade from within xp. From there you can either upgrade over xp or do a custom install in which case your xp is removed to a folder windows.old. You can't have both installed. Recovery is supported by booting the dvd at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So how would it work for us running W2K? or are we just TROGS that don't deserve an upgrade... Would be nice to know.
    My Rig:
    Biostar Tforce 6100-939 | A64 3500+ | WD 40Gb | 1Gb Corsair XMS | Liteon 52x32x52 | AMS Mercury PP-4603.