Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: EVGA Supernova NEX1500 1500W PSU Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Many PSU's are quiet enough to be not heard over any other part in your machine, thus being silent in a way.
    If you want to apply this to PSUs like XT x75 or HX750/850 Silver, you are quite wrong.

For example, XFX 7770 Double Dissipation (the card I happen to have) is virtually silent @idle. If you do your homework, you can find higher tier cards just as quiet. And if not, you can always swap GPU cooler and pick proper fans yourself. Most CPU coolers may not be quite silent, but you can pick proper fan to ensure being inaudible as well, no problem with that at all. Same for case fans. In such setup, PSU like XT x75W can EASILY be audible.

Building a PC meeting this condition isn't exactly hard at all, but does require some research. Yet, I see people willing to do so quite often. And if they ask for a quiet PSU to compliment it, it wouldn't be fair of me to recommend stuff like XT x75W and say "Nah, quiet enough, you'll be fine".

Making a bearing noise IS NOT normal and you have the right to RMA a unit if the fan is doing it.
    Well, tell it to people, who RMA'd such PSUs only to have them returned with a comment "It's working fine".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Bearing noise is normal. Electrical noise may be abnormal on a fan but neither is RMA worthy to most companies.

I just returned 100 Gentle Typhoons to Nidec Servo due to bearing noise and if it wasn't for the guarantee I got, they would have never taken them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    If you want to apply this to PSUs like XT x75 or HX750/850 Silver, you are quite wrong.
    No, I'm not. It's subjective and the majority are fine with the noise levels of those units. If they weren't, those units would have been known as "loud". And they clearly aren't. A Turbo-Cool 1200 on the other hand, IS known to be a loud unit since people that used it complained that it sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    For example, XFX 7770 Double Dissipation (the card I happen to have) is virtually silent @idle. If you do your homework, you can find higher tier cards just as quiet. And if not, you can always swap GPU cooler and pick proper fans yourself. Most CPU coolers may not be quite silent, but you can pick proper fan to ensure being inaudible as well, no problem with that at all. Same for case fans. In such setup, PSU like XT x75W can EASILY be audible.
    As I said in my previous post, "audible" and "loud" aren't the same thing. Not my a long shot. My Silencer 910 is easily "audible" on idle but it's nowhere loud, it's only audible enough to be heard. Not even while running 570 SLi with 470 PhysX.

I said they aren't "loud" yet you're still going on about them being "audible".

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Bearing noise is normal. Electrical noise may be abnormal on a fan but neither is RMA worthy to most companies.
    No. You aren't supposed to hear the rotor noise of a fan when you're buying it. You're only supposed to hear the noise of the air movement, hence you can't call it "normal". It's an abnormality and can be considered as a fault. People have managed to RMA their fans/PSU's due to it in the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    No. You aren't supposed to hear the rotor noise of a fan when you're buying it. You're only supposed to hear the noise of the air movement, hence you can't call it "normal". It's an abnormality and can be considered as a fault. People have managed to RMA their fans/PSU's due to it in the past.
    Only a courtesy or via a guarantee from the company.

Bearing noise is standard. Motors make noise, if you say otherwise you're a daft idiot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great review and fair as usual.

I have been using mine since day one (purchased, NOT won). I am satisfied with this as it powers my 4 x 7970's, however if I told you it was the best PSU I had owned, I would be lying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Many PSU's are quiet enough to be not heard over any other part in your machine, thus being silent in a way.
    No they're not! It's just (more or less) a hand full of PSUs that are really aceptable in terms of noise.

The Enermax Triathlor 450W is such a good PSU though it could be better. And there are some other PSUs as well. But I would never say many or even most! It's quite the opposite, sadly...

I don't care about what the people in where you live want.
    Why not? Why not accept that other people have other standards than you??

OK I always apply my standards to any PSU but my standards are very high...

What does nationality have to do with any of this? So what you're saying is that the people in the U.S don't care about PSU fan noise as much as Germans? Do you have any data charts to back this up? Does that even make any sense?
    Yes, I'm saying that american people don't really care about noise. How I know this? Ask Noctua, Blacknoise wich fans sell in the US well and wich in Europe. The interesting comment from them is that in the US the high speed (2200rpm @ 120mm) fans sell best while in Europe it's the lower speeds (800rpm and 1500rpm) that sell best. No one really wants a 2200rpm fan.

And that's also a reason why some PSUs don't sell well in Germany. The noise is a very important part. Especially if the rest of your computer is really really quiet.

As rafal said, it's not that hard to make a real silent Computer, you just need to know what to buy!
    And with my computer I find the tickering of the CPU fan (Deep Cool Fiend Shark) quite anoying...

I've read from A LOT of people, and most of them were comfortable with the fan noise of the HX750.
    Strange...
    Because when I hear something about the HX750/850 in German forums, it's always people complaining about the noise....

The 2BB Yate Loon fan you're referring to is the D14BH-12. It's been used in the HX1000 and the AX1200 and is known to make a rattling noise or fail. It's a fault of the fan, not a normality.
    No it's normal bearing noise. Not a defect.
    Only a FDB (or similar) bearing is really good in this term. A 2BB is always notacible!

There are better versions that are not that loud but the cheaper versions that are very notacible (like the D12BH oder D14BH) are more common...
    Making a bearing noise IS NOT normal and you have the right to RMA a unit if the fan is doing it.
    On a FDB fan: Yes, it's probably defective.
    On a 2BB fan: Not, that's pretty normal and no reason for an RMA...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    No it's normal bearing noise. Not a defect.
    Only a FDB (or similar) bearing is really good in this term. A 2BB is always notacible!

There are better versions that are not that loud but the cheaper versions that are very notacible (like the D12BH oder D14BH) are more common...

On a FDB fan: Yes, it's probably defective.
    On a 2BB fan: Not, that's pretty normal and no reason for an RMA...
    Even FDB fans have bearing noise, it's just incredibly minimal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People are so whiny about noise these days. You get an inch, you want a mile.

*turns fans in case to full RPM*

Audible? Yes. Loud? No. With open headphones on it's so quiet that it doesn't even register unless I specifically listen for it.

It's difficult to say, but I'd guesstimate that my case right now is about as loud as the NEX1500 under a 600W load. That's acceptable.

Now, at full load? Yes, the NEX1500 is loud as heck, but you try fixing something like that when your ODM hasn't built anything but server units in ten years and doesn't like fancy new technology like FDB fans.
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I gotta say, at least it's not a Yate Loon (or similar) fan.

The parts are quality, and this PSU wasn't designed for your standard users. It's designed for Bench-testers more than anything else.
    At least that's the way I see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

What's funny is that if you're pushing that much power, you have GPU fans, CPU fan and probably case fans that have spun up to the point where they're drowing out virtually any PSU fan.