Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EVGA Supernova NEX1500 1500W PSU Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

9G1212 is famous for its irritating bearing noise. It also has a high static-pressure fan blade design. The 9S1212 used in Seasonic X series belongs to Sanyo Denki's Silent series.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Up until 800W the San Ace doesn't go beyond 1000 RPM (the fan uses the same housing, bearing and blades as lower powered San Ace's, which are quiet, high quality fans). So you can't really call this a "loud PSU" just because the fan is rated at a maximum of 4500 RPM.
    At 1000 rpm and this size, even San Ace fan will be plainly audible. Other units that had similar setup@idle? Eg. Toughpower XT x75 or Corsair HX750 and 850 Silver. Were they criticized for being audible@idle? You bet.

Only fair for EVGA unit to be criticized for it just as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

9G's are great performance fans but due to the 2BB used, it'll never be quiet. A 9S would have been better but you would have still had to use a top end model so the min RPM wopuld be high no matter what

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    At 1000 rpm and this size, even San Ace fan will be plainly audible. Other units that had similar setup@idle? Eg. Toughpower XT x75 or Corsair HX750 and 850 Silver. Were they criticized for being audible@idle? You bet.

Only fair for EVGA unit to be criticized for it just as well.
    Well "audible" and "loud" aren't the same thing by a long shot. Taken from the PCPer review:

"Below ~800W output and with a relatively cool ambient inlet air temperature, the SuperNOVA NEX1500 PSU is reasonably quiet. Above 50% load the fan starts to spin up to where it becomes noticeable. At max power the fan is spinning at ~3,700 rpm according to the SuperNOVA software. With the fan forced to 100% speed (using DIP switch #4) I recorded 64.3 dBA and 3,972 rpm."

Unless you're a complete silence freak, neither the NEX nor the DSG units are loud enough to be a concern. They're all relatively silent units.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Unless you're a complete silence freak, neither the NEX nor the DSG units are loud enough to be a concern. They're all relatively silent units.
    Well, uhhm, no...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Well, uhhm, no...
    Well, uhm, yes. I don't recall Toughpower XT 775/HX750 being a "loud PSU". A Turbo-Cool 1kW or a ProXStream would be a loud unit as they have significantly loud fans even at idle. The Toughpower XT/HX750 (at idle or moderate loads) isn't a loud unit.

"No" alone isn't an applicable answer in this case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, let's just leave it at "quite a few people beg to differ". Me being one of them after having heard those PSUs personally. I have stated so explicitly and others, who have bought those units, indeed shared that sentiment, either swapping the fan or swapping the unit for sth else.

In fact for quite a few people even S12II based units are not sufficiently quiet due to some bearing noise made by Adda fans even at low speeds of ~500 rpm. Top tier of silent units (excluding obvious fanless/semi-fanless choices) seems to belong to stuff like Enermax with Twister Bearings (like lower Modu87+ or Platimax series, where it spins @~330 rpm @idle) and most BQ units (E8, E9, L8, P10 series).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, let's just leave it at "quite a few people beg to differ". Me being one of them after having heard those PSUs personally. I have stated so explicitly and others, who have bought those units, indeed shared that sentiment, either swapping the fan or swapping the unit for sth else.
    You're in the minority, it's not "quite a few people". Most people that bought the HX750 were happy with it's fan noise and quietness. The people you're referring to are silence freaks like yourself (don't take this as an attack).

In fact for quite a few people even S12II based units are not sufficiently quiet due to some bearing noise made by Adda fans even at low speeds of ~500 rpm.
    That's different though, making a bearing noise isn't normal and is classified as a fault.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

You're in the minority, it's not "quite a few people".
    Well, no.
    Where I live, there are many people who want a silent PSU.

Actually that's not true: They expect the PSU to be silent!
    Most people that bought the HX750 were happy with it's fan noise and quietness. The people you're referring to are silence freaks like yourself (don't take this as an attack).
    ...or just don't live in the US. I've herad many complaints about the noise of the HX750 and 850W versions. Check PCGH, Computerbase, Forumdeluxx for example. And you will find some threads where people complain about the noise. And not just them, also TX650 V2...

That's different though, making a bearing noise isn't normal and is classified as a fault.
    That depends on the fan and the company. With an FDB bearing fan and be quiet you are right. There shoundn't be any bearing noise.

With a 2BB Yate Loon fan bearing noise seems to be more common. As is with some ADDA fans. Or Sanyo Denki.
    And it's not always a defect. Sometimes it's just the design of the fan that's loud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, no.
    Where I live, there are many people who want a silent PSU.

Actually that's not true: They expect the PSU to be silent!
    Many PSU's are quiet enough to be not heard over any other part in your machine, thus being silent in a way.

I don't care about what the people in where you live want.

...or just don't live in the US. I've herad many complaints about the noise of the HX750 and 850W versions. Check PCGH, Computerbase, Forumdeluxx for example. And you will find some threads where people complain about the noise. And not just them, also TX650 V2...
    What does nationality have to do with any of this? So what you're saying is that the people in the U.S don't care about PSU fan noise as much as Germans? Do you have any data charts to back this up? Does that even make any sense?

I've read from A LOT of people, and most of them were comfortable with the fan noise of the HX750.

That depends on the fan and the company. With an FDB bearing fan and be quiet you are right. There shoundn't be any bearing noise.

With a 2BB Yate Loon fan bearing noise seems to be more common. As is with some ADDA fans. Or Sanyo Denki.
    And it's not always a defect. Sometimes it's just the design of the fan that's loud.
    The 2BB Yate Loon fan you're referring to is the D14BH-12. It's been used in the HX1000 and the AX1200 and is known to make a rattling noise or fail. It's a fault of the fan, not a normality.

The design of the fan can make the "whining" noise louder than the fan's noise (if it's a powerful turbine fan), however making a "bearing" noise isn't normal. Under regular conditions no fan should make a bearing noise. You should only hear the blades` noise. Making a bearing noise IS NOT normal and you have the right to RMA a unit if the fan is doing it.