Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with choosing PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help with choosing PSU

Hello, I'm trying to piece together my first PC, but I'm a complete noob and I need your help with choosing the right PSU. I'd be very grateful if you estimate the wattage and help me settle on a brand or model. I've used a few power supply calculators but their reliability is often questioned and I don't want to overestimate. The components of my build are:

Intel Core i3-3225
    Asus P8H77-M PRO Intel H77
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA3 (ST1000DM003)
    Kingston DDR3 8GB(2x4GB) 1600MHz HyperX CL9
    Pioneer DVD burner DVR-S19LBK

The PC will be used to browse the internet (with up to 30 tabs open), watch HD (including Blu-ray) movies, download and unpack files and to possibly to encode movies but probably not. It will be on for about 5 hours a day on average and will be at idle a lot of the time. I'd like to make my build (including PSU) as future proof as my pretty low budget allows. The future upgrades that I can imagine now (but not planning yet) are a 128gb SSD, discrete GPU (but only when Intel HD 4000 is not sufficient to watch HD movies), mid-end sound card and a Blu-ray burner or reader. Last but not least, I live in Poland and my choice is a bit limited and the computer parts are overpriced in my country. I am also constrained by the fact that only a few affordable computer stores offer PC assembly in Poland and the processor I've chosen is available only in one of them, so I have to choose the PSU in this one store.

I'd like the PSU to be firstly reliable, secondly energy efficient, thirdly future proof (more than 5 years) and quiet, also modular . Although I decided on an mATX motherboard, I will buy an ATX case, so do not take this mATX format into consideration.Could you comment on this one below?

OCZ Silencer MKIII 400W

Any suggestions most welcome, thanks!
    Last edited by immelmann; 09-11-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Adding information

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

For your setup, a 400w is far more than enough, and gives you plenty of room to add in a GPU down the line if you wanted to use your system for gaming.

Another good option is the BeQuiet! PurePower L8-430CM for 10 pounds cheaper.
    The Be Quiet unit comes with 2 PCIe power cables, as well a better fan that creates less noise.
    On the down side, the cables are shorter at 45cm in length to the first connector.
    The PC Power & Cooling / OCZ model has a 60cm 8pin (CPU Power) cable, & a 55cm 24pin (Motherboard) cable.

Most ATX Mid Towers are around 45cm to 50cm in height, so the cable lengths on the Be Quiet unit may make cable routing hard to do. On a mATX case, it wouldn't be an issue though.

If you can skip that modular requirement, the Seasonic G360 would be more than enough for your system even adding in a GPU like the HD7770 to the mix. It's by far one of the best built and most efficient low wattage units on the market.
    It also comes with the longest warranty length.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

immelmann (09-11-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for this quick reply, Tator Tot, but unfortunately neither of the PSUS you mentioned is not available in the store where I'm going to buy the other parts, so could you tell me what are the cons of the Ocz PSU that I linked here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

The OCZ unit (actually PC Power & Cooling, but they're a subsidiary of OCZ) is a really good unit in terms of electrical performance.

It won't work well on old systems (Pentium 3 & Athlon XP) but that is a very minor flaw.
    The two big issues with it, is that the fan is somewhat loud at full load and it only comes with a single PCIe connector.

Both could be drawbacks down the line if you ever ended up adding a GPU to your system like the HD7870 (which could be powered in your setup with that unit.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

immelmann (09-12-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A link to the store website might be helpful concerning what is available at what price.

Modular is nice but a case with good cable management and relatively few cables make it optional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, this store is small and badly supplied, if I could assemble the PC myself without frying it, I doubt I could buy there the parts. Their website is only in my native tongue (Polish) and the currency is zloty, never mind its value - i'd like to spend no more than 300-350 on the PSU. A red note 'Niedostępny" next to the price of products means 'not available'.Here's the link to the PSU section of the store:

Techplanet.pl
    Last edited by immelmann; 09-11-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Clarification

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for 'modularity', if you say it is not so important, I can only agree with you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yojo2 For This Useful Post:

immelmann (09-12-2012)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks (dziękuję), yojo2's, but is this particular model reliable and energy efficient, especially at very low loads?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should be okay, just like any other proper Bronze PSU.

If efficiency is far more important for ya than modular cables, then you might consider this one as well: http://techplanet.pl/produkty/zasila...00w,15760.html
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

14. The Following User Says Thank You to yojo2 For This Useful Post:

immelmann (09-12-2012)