Thread: Adding a large cap in series with 12 volt rail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Adding a large cap in series with 12 volt rail.

Sorry if this thread is old, but it seemed to intrigue me. I have gone thru four Biostar P4M80-M4 mobos in as many years, as I have purchased used "good" mobos from eBay trying to keep my old hyperthreaded P4 system out of the local landfill. Each mobo has crashed due to swollen or leaking capacitors. Each mobo was replaced along with a new PSU. I run this pc 24/7 with additional ventilation directed on the mobo's caps in a 75 +/- 5 deg F ambient.

My question ... is there any reasonable way to extend the life of these capacitors by adding additional filtering (capacitors, inductors,etc.) to the 12 volt supply before it reaches the motherboard.

PS: I remember roughing up.a 12 volt PSU a decade or two ago when I moved an 8-Track player from the car to the garage. I started with a 15v Doorbell transformer and center tapped wire wound resistor ( getting 12 volts) added a full wave bridge rectifier (getting 12 v DC) and the added a half dozen large oil filled caps to quiet down the ripples. I still, on occasion, listen to the FM tuner that is built into that old player.

I just wonder if anyone has tried to add some extra protection to extend the life of mobo's capacitors. (I am already aware that Biostar used poorly designed capacitors...I am just trying to extend there lives). Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's the heat that will do them in first I'd wager, not ripple. Plus breakdown of the electrolyte. It would be easier to just buy some Rubycons and recap the board yourself.
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
    It's the heat that will do them in first I'd wager, not ripple. Plus breakdown of the electrolyte. It would be easier to just buy some Rubycons and recap the board yourself.
    Indeed, rip the caps from a dead board, and go buy quality replacements, then solder those into the board. It's only the electrolytics that die so easily I think, so shouldn't be a massive job.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

It's nice that the other thread intrigued you, but your contribution to it was completely off topic so I've broken it off into its own thread.

You said each mobo was replaced with a new PSU. What PSU?