Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Rosewill CAPSTONE-550M Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    323
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    I disagree because you don't want to not have a breaker box in your house, do you?
    What...?

    Look, internal short circuits happen extremely rare. Like once in a few years in every one unit out of a few thousands. You don't have to worry about whether a unit has OCP or not.

    I mean, come on. You've been here for far too long to realize this, and you know it. Break the obsession, I don't have to link to the sticky on the top of the forum to show you that single or multi rail doesn't really matter.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,700
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    116
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Also, just because unit is single rail, doesn't mean it cannot have OCP (it's just that it's usually set so high, that it makes no difference vs OPP. Still, I'd like to see those elusive partial short circuits, which are high enough to do damage, but low enough not to trigger OCP/OPP. In a PC - not in a controlled environment, where you can regulate current through every wire with 0.1 A precision. And do keep in mind, that we're talking about 550W unit here).

    Also, even single rail units tend to have OCP on minor rails.

    I do think burnt pins due to insufficient contact is more relevant issue (esp. in case of adapters).

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,193
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    544
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    303
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Still, I'd like to see those elusive partial short circuits, which are high enough to do damage, but low enough not to trigger OCP/OPP.
    When I worked on PC's, did customer service, RMA, etc. for a living (between 1998 and 2005) I would see it all of the time. At least a couple times a week. Either in the form of a wire pinched during assembly or someone plugging a connector in upside down. The biggest culprit is the floppy power connector. It's so easy to plug those in upside down on PCI cards like the Sound Blaster.

    It actually just happened to one of the writers at Bright Side a couple weeks ago. Either the cable that went to the front panel was pinched or there was a short on that front panel's PCB, but the wire caught fire.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    What...?

    Look, internal short circuits happen extremely rare. Like once in a few years in every one unit out of a few thousands. You don't have to worry about whether a unit has OCP or not.

    I mean, come on. You've been here for far too long to realize this, and you know it. Break the obsession, I don't have to link to the sticky on the top of the forum to show you that single or multi rail doesn't really matter.
    Not internal short circuits. External short circuits. For instance, motherboard VRM malfunctions and a fet fails shorted with a resistance of say 0.15ohms. Now you've got 80 amps pumping through the motherboard. What happens? It catches on fire. The draw also damages the PSU's modular board and if there are capacitors on it, blows them. Now you've got huge transients and tons of ripple being fed to anything else on that rail. Also, the motherboard is on fire.

    I've seen this at least once and possibly twice (unconfirmed).
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,193
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    544
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    303
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
    Not internal short circuits. External short circuits. For instance, motherboard VRM malfunctions and a fet fails shorted with a resistance of say 0.15ohms. Now you've got 80 amps pumping through the motherboard. What happens? It catches on fire. The draw also damages the PSU's modular board and if there are capacitors on it, blows them. Now you've got huge transients and tons of ripple being fed to anything else on that rail. Also, the motherboard is on fire.

    I've seen this at least once and possibly twice (unconfirmed).
    Oh yeah... I forgot about that scenario. We had that happen with a bunch of MSI boards back in the day. Had two inch tall flames shooting out of the FET. Killed the CPU as well as the motherboard. Great drama.

    But yeah.. usually I see problems because of user error, not component failure.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Look, internal short circuits happen extremely rare. Like once in a few years in every one unit out of a few thousands. You don't have to worry about whether a unit has OCP or not.
    Yes, you do!
    Because firstly you have to think about the user, who could do easily do anything wrong. Like 3 or more 1 6pin to 2 6pin PCIE adaptors in a row.
    What's stopping the user on a single rail unit from doing something like that?

    Or a damaged component, like a graphics card or a burned motor in a harddrive. On a PSU with 'low to moderate' OCP levels, nothing will happen. The PSU will switch off before something really bad happens.

    But I agree, that a decent PSU shoudln't have the OCP trip point set over 25A...

    Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    I mean, come on. You've been here for far too long to realize this, and you know it. Break the obsession, I don't have to link to the sticky on the top of the forum to show you that single or multi rail doesn't really matter.
    Ask an electrician what he thinks about removing the breaker box.

    Why is it a good thing (or even an acceptable thing) to do so in a consumer power supply?? shouldn't be there something to prevent a (cable) fire in your computer??

    But here I'm so mean to link to this video. Wich is in German, of course...

    He uses a medium length, rather thin wire (presumably copper) and there isn't anything on the 1200W single Rail PSU that prevents the cable from burning. How could there be something?!
    As there's a whopping 100amps the 1200W single Rail PSU could deliver before there is anything that could switch the PSU off...


    Just imagine the user would use an incompatible set of cables with the PSU...
    And it doesn't have a decent OCP trip point implemented...

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    We get people who plug PCIe 8-pin into EPS12V. It fits, if you turn it the wrong way and force it. We get an RMAd motherboard at least once a week because of that.
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    in your bathroom
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
    We get people who plug PCIe 8-pin into EPS12V. It fits, if you turn it the wrong way and force it. We get an RMAd motherboard at least once a week because of that.
    And do you complete these RMA requests?
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    2,247
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    129
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Common sense says no, but then there's the "but you made it fit this way too" angle, which could actually pass at some consumer rights advocacy organizations...
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,700
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    116
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    But I agree, that a decent PSU shoudln't have the OCP trip point set over 25A...
    And limit OC on your GPUs forcing shutdowns? No, thx. After my experiences with those ultra low OCP set point PSUs - never again. PSUs in question?

    1. HP-600-G14S - 25A line, all Molex and PCI-E connectors on it - good luck with SLI/CF using adapters. Even worse - 700W one has same rail distribution and measly 48W combined more. In fact High Power itself apparently took it as learning experience, because Element Bronze 600W has now two 30A rails instead of 25A ones - IMO much more reasonable. 30 to 40A is perfect - with 30A per GPU you're highly unlikely to trip it, unless you really OC balls to the wall, and even then, you'd have to have 2x GPU card. With 40A - unlikely to shut down even then.

    and
    2. Epsilon Bronze 600W - quad rail, 18A for GPUs - enjoy your 680/7970 shutdowns after OC. I've had enough people on forums whining that they need a bigger PSU than their 600W OCZ SXS 2 (Epsilon based), because their computer shuts down in Furmark and in more demanding games with cards like 480 or unlocked 6950. Their first conclusion? "600W not enough, buy 700W quick!11!11!1!!!1!"
    Last edited by rafal_iB_PL; 07-02-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. In Win Commander III 700 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    By Gabriel Torres in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
  2. Rosewill Tachyon 750 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    By Gabriel Torres in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 11:44 AM
  3. Rosewill FORTRESS-650 Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    By Gabriel Torres in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM
  4. In Win GreenMe 650 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    By Gabriel Torres in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 06:26 AM
  5. Rosewill HIVE 650 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    By Gabriel Torres in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 12:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •