Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need help picking a PS for Home Lab "Servers"

Config:
    i7-3820
    ASUS X79 WS Mobo
    32 GB Ram
    12 to 14 Hard Drives (all 2TB+ 7200 RPM)
    One high end graphics card
    Passive cooling but lotsa fans

This will be for a home lab setup that is up at least 12 hours of the day but potentially will run 24x7 as well.

Two similarly configured machines will run at least 8 VMs each (this one will run 4 but I have another AMD FX8120 that I intend to set up as 8 VMs).

Running enterprise editions of database systems with clustering amongst a bunch of other stuff.

So I would expect the CPUs to be under medium load on an average with more active time on the cores than typical desktop application. More so on some days than others.

I sized it up and it rings up to about 900w or so. I am thinking an 850w unit would probably suffice, but I would like to have some room if needed in future. Also, unless I have misunderstood, efficiency would be optimal if the load is in the 80% range, right?

These will run on a noisy apartment community circuits.

Given my needs, which one will be an optimal and provide the best efficiency?
    * Corsair AX1200
    * Seasoninc Platinum 1000w
    * Antec HCP 1000

If you guys think 850w fits in, especially if the 850s listed below are underrated and will deliver much higher than rated for shorter but frequent bursts, then count these in as well:
    * Corsair AX-850
    * Seasonic PLATINUM-860

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Which grafics card?
    Are you gonna use staggered spin-up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Which grafics card?
    Are you gonna use staggered spin-up?

I am thinking of Nvidia GTX-680

Let's assume a negative on the staggered spin-up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1000-1200W is far more than necessary; even 850W is kind of much. Proper 650W (like AX650W) would suffice w/o problems.
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yojo2 View Post
    1000-1200W is far more than necessary; even 850W is kind of much. Proper 650W (like AX650W) would suffice w/o problems.
    Thanks.

If you don't mind, may I ask if you did read the config and application I had in mind? I ask because most PS calculators I use ring my requirement up to about 800-900w range. And given that I will be running these for extended periods, I want as high efficiency as I can get. It appears that PS are most efficient at around 80% of their capacity. That puts a 1KW PS at an optimal efficiency range at 700w to 800w which is why I am looking at 1KW to 1.2KW PS.

I appreciate your suggestion. Just please confirm that a lower watt rated PS is good for my needs.

Note the 14 HDDs, 8 VMs with high CPU core active time. Definitely not a typical desktop load wherein the CPU is close to idle most of the time and HDDs are < 3 or 4 per system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't see why 650W wouldn't be enough.
    Though, I just realised that AX650 has only 8 SATA connectors, so all in all it might be reasonable to get 850W version (which has 12x SATA).
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can run this machine easily with a 850W. As yojo2 says you can actually run with a good 600-650W PSU. But I'd go with a 850W.
    And going for a 1000W isn't a bad idea if you believe you may add a second video card later or more drives. BTW, which case ? Not
    every chassis will let you use 14 HDDs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you both of you.

I am using a Cooler Master Cosmos 2. Had thought about Xigmatek Elysium, but decided to with the Cosmos 2 instead because of the additional HDD bays.

I hate to spend so much on the case, but with kids around, I wanted a proper case instead of some open rack solutions.

BTW, I just came across a deal on an EVGA 100-PS-1200-GR (which is a rebranded Antec TPQ-1200) for $120 after rebate. I know it's not the most efficient PS, but it has decent reviews, strong 5 year warranty and a savings of at least $70 (over the 850w models mentioned in this thread) or more than $100 compared to the 1Kw models mentioned earlier. That's cash in my pocket now and even though I will spend a tiny bit more each month on power, the savings should still last me a few years to break even more so if I don't really use up as much power as the calculators project.

If you guys can convince me that the rebranded TPQ-1200 is a bad choice even for $125 including the cost of rebate, then I will just cancel the order and go with a AX-850 unit from Corsair (The Seasonic Platinums seem to be having some QC issue based on the reviews)

Thanks...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TPQ-1200 by no means is a bad choice, if you can get it so cheap (and if it is working). I don't know about its idle fan noise though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

TPQ-1200 OC / SR-2 1200w is a solid choice.

Though I would check to make sure you can use staggared spin-up since all of the drives will be attached to Rail 1 which has a current limit of 38A.
    So all 14 drives at peak usage (initial start-up) could surpass that limit and trip the sensor.

@Raf,
    You have fan control on the back if idle fan-noise is really a concern.

EDIT:
    Fan control is standard Enhance affair though; fan speed is low until ~60% load then it ramps up till 100% load.
    1850 RPM idle to 2800 RPM at full load.
    You're looking at only ~30dB full load from the fan though.