Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Torthech Thunderbolt @ OC3D with ~340mV ripple (^.-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    They did test a MaxRevo 1350 and reported similar results to everyone else.. I think they've also tested an AX 1200.
    Did they? Hmm... I wonder how they get away with overloading that SM-268 and not blowing it up every other review (which has happened to Wolf a lot when he only had one tester and tested larger wattage units).

Do you have a link? Do we know they were using this same set up to test those two power supplies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

What's also funny is that they're calling it the "worst PSU ever". LOL! Let me send them a Leadman or a Deer. Seriously. Ripple's too high @ 1000W+ and its the worst PSU ever? How about one that sets the house on fire at 500W?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

For those wondering, here's their page on PSU Testing Methodology
    http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/...ng_equipment/1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What bugs me about their AX1200 review is:

- Silent (as far as I could tell with 3000w of testing equipment in the background!).
    Trololololo. Not sure, which part does more: calling a PSU silent without a baseline or "3000w of testing equipment".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Guys, I responded to their video. If you can up vote it so they see my questions and respond to them, that would be great. I don't want to disrespect anyone. I just want to make sure all doubt is removed.
    I doubt they'll take it that way... now I have to make a YT account :\
    Do you have a link? Do we know they were using this same set up to test those two power supplies?
    There's no info on the load tester used for these specific reviews but here are two of them..
    MaxRevo 1350 & GX 1050

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Trololololo.
    LOL
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    For those wondering, here's their page on PSU Testing Methodology
    http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/...ng_equipment/1
    "Seen above is our brand new SunMoon SM-268+ ATE load tester capable of placing a sustained load of 1690w across a total of six rails"

http://sunmoonate.com/en/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=96

IF he had the SM-268 listed all of the way to the right. THAT ONE supports 60A on +12V1 and 40A on +12V2. But note how the VC (+12V2) reading was flashing FF.FF. That's what a SunMoon does when it is overloaded. I think he has the SM-268 that's in the second from last column.

I also don't think that testing methodology is true for ALL of the PSU's they've tested. Take the MaxRevo 1350W they reviewed. Last test has a 1705W load. Even if they have the bigges SM-268 available, that's more than it can handle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Voted Up. Oh you know something will probably come up... I wonder if he didn't already pop a Mosfet in that thing.
    In my experience, as soon as you push them hard enough to start seeing FFFF's, it's not a matter of "if," it's "when."

And then you gotta fix it, which is like spreading honey on your head and sticking it in a beehive while hitting it with a hammer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

http://sunmoonate.com/en/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=96

IF he had the SM-268 listed all of the way to the right. THAT ONE supports 60A on +12V1 and 40A on +12V2. But note how the VC (+12V2) reading was flashing FF.FF. That's what a SunMoon does when it is overloaded. I think he has the SM-268 that's in the second from last column.
    Yup Yup, when he's manually adjusting the VC rail to increase the Amps, he stops at 33.6A's. As he pans back down talking about the noise, the SM-268 has already faulted out on the VC line (hard to see, but it's verified when he pans back up by the FF.FF). I'd almost bet my 268 that he was max'd stable before he tried manually adjusting it.

This would put his testers capabilities right there with the unit that Jeremy has of Jon's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For clarification, when the SunMoon starts showing FFFF, it's unloaded that rail to protect itself. You can see it in the video when power consumption of the unit drops to 600W or so that it is no longer loading 12V2.

Not that this will always save the SunMoon... I've blown MOSFETs more than once never seeing it unload like that. Part of the problem is the cooling fan... it ramps up too slowly for really high loads, and has no fresh air intake. That's why both of mine have a big ol' exhaust fan bolted to the back. Those get turned on the second I start load testing anything over 400W.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Yeah, the one time I blew my Mosfet (ew that sounds bad), mine didn't act that way. It popped and tripped and smelt a little funny.

Even with my SM-5500, I had to add additional cooling and its fan's run full RPM from power on.