Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Torthech Thunderbolt @ OC3D with ~340mV ripple (^.-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I see they modded that SM-268 (changed the connector board), which would lead to me asking if they added the proper Caps for the BNC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

I think the SunMoon they're using is only capable of 1080W total power, and only 960W of that can be put on the +12V (40A on VA, or +12V1 and 40A on +12V2).

I wonder what the largest unit they've tested other than that Thortech is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    I see they modded that SM-268 (changed the connector board), which would lead to me asking if they added the proper Caps for the BNC?
    Caps or no caps, I don't think there'd be that much difference. And the connector boards are screwed on after the fact for different applications. They actually revise them often, so it's no surprise if one load tester has a different connector board than the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    What stands out to me the most is that they reported identical results for the second unit.. what are the chances for that to happen, considering they were acquired differently and that no other tested sample of this platform performed the same.
    The chances are very good if they're using the same load tester and same testing methodology. They need to either get a second SM-268 like what Tony and Jeremy use (they have two because you can't test 1000W+ with just one) or get a higher capacity load tester (like the SM-8800).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I've yet to see anyone posting any shots or vids showing a SM-268 pushing 40A's on the VC (12V2). Everyone I've seen has been around the 32A mark. Hell mine would only do 32A on VA as well...

I was thinking along the lines of, if they swapped the board themselves then it (the new board) had to have been soldered on the back side. Is the soldering up to par? Looking at the numbers and doing the math, it's coming out correctly so one would think everything is good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

Well, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they have one of the models that can do 40A. They may have a model that can't even do that. My point is, THE MOST... ANY SunMoon SM-268 can load on a +12V rail is 40A and there's only two +12V rail loads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    It's experienced, the same way your perfectly good memory will shut down your system or BSOD the moment you load it, on units with rippletastic minor rails.. I've personally experienced this with a defective TPN.
    But you had no idea what the ripple was?
    So it could be much higher then this...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    193 Posts

Guys, I responded to their video. If you can up vote it so they see my questions and respond to them, that would be great. I don't want to disrespect anyone. I just want to make sure all doubt is removed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    The chances are very good if they're using the same load tester and same testing methodology.
    Unfortunate wording on my part, but that was my point entirely, they must be doing something wrong, it can't be unit/design related.
    I wonder what the largest unit they've tested other than that Thortech is.
    They did test a MaxRevo 1350 and reported similar results to everyone else.. I think they've also tested an AX 1200.
    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    But you had no idea what the ripple was?
    So it could be much higher then this...
    Actually I had it tested(by a hi-fi guy), this was early 2010, had a thread on a local forum that no longer exists... I'll see if I can in any way find it... in any case, it was around 200mV(can't remember the load).
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, OC3D, those guys who did NH-D14 vs Silver Arrow review, had SA edging out Noctua ever so slightly (like anywhere else) in two tests and in 3rd test BAM, SA had 95-100 C, whereas Noctua far less. I wouldn't really trust them.

I also seen opinion that their PSU review writing style is ripped off from here and I tend to agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Guys, I responded to their video. If you can up vote it so they see my questions and respond to them, that would be great. I don't want to disrespect anyone. I just want to make sure all doubt is removed.
    Voted Up. Oh you know something will probably come up... I wonder if he didn't already pop a Mosfet in that thing.