Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torthech Thunderbolt @ OC3D with ~340mV ripple (^.-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Torthech Thunderbolt @ OC3D with ~340mV ripple (^.-)

YT video here, skip to 4.20"

It's a HighPower G14C 1200 GOLD, the same one inside the ToughPower Grand 1200 and a number of other units.
    Even though this is a rather average platform, no one actually reported such results until now, and more so, there's no way any CPU or GPU would actually function on this unit without some Insane filtering, the kind you see on a handful of boards and custom cards... so what is he doing wrong?
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Defective unit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They say they bought a second sample from continental EU(I suppose the first one was sent by GeIL/Thortec), which landed identical results... and then they say they had a 7970 QuadFire display setup running on this, before they tested it... and I can't see how such a system would run anything marginally demanding on this unit without crashing... so I think they messed up something with the oscilloscope.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't see the video at work, what's the reading?

I tested a G14C 1kW Gold, shopping around a little, and it had 160mV spikes on the +12V, around 80kHz, and pretty poor minor rail performance.

If they're sending out this many defective units to customers and reviewers I'd hate to see what the total defect rate is.
    It's my PSU in a box!
    Ooo-ooh,
    My PSU in a box, baby!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    .. and then they say they had a 7970 QuadFire display setup running on this, before they tested it... and I can't see how such a system would run anything marginally demanding on this unit without crashing... so I think they messed up something with the oscilloscope.
    Maybe, but I have seen many crappy units running PC's 'fine' for some years. So maybe the PC wil be 'fine'....

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
    Can't see the video at work, what's the reading?
    About 290mV ripple max at 1000W, and 340mV ripple at 1200W.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the peak to peak reading is ~290mV at about 1KW load and then it spikes to beyond 330mV when he bumps the load, I can't make out the input frequency.

160mV on 12v is bad, but 340mV is something that will prevent your hardware from working(unless you have some 500-600$ card with some epic VRM and a football field of tantalum caps), so I find it hard to believe that those are the actual numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Maybe, but I have seen many crappy units running PC's 'fine' for some years. So maybe the PC wil be 'fine'....
    The way I see it, crappy units on undemanding systems shouldn't be problematic(the fact that a so called 500W unit goes out of spec at 400W is not a problem for a 200W system).. especially if the ripple/noise issue is on the 12v rail alone, since even value/lower mainstream cards and boards offer sufficient filtering to deal with that... on the minor rails it's worst, since memory and hdds and other components don't get that kind or filtering.
    But 340mV @ 1200W on a system that will pull that at stock running Unigine, and probably 200W more running Furmark.. raises some eyebrows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    160mV on 12v is bad, but 340mV is something that will prevent your hardware from working(unless you have some 500-600$ card with some epic VRM and a football field of tantalum caps), so I find it hard to believe that those are the actual numbers.
    No one actually tested to my knowledge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Testing methodology?

I don't know these guys so I can't really judge them and I certainly don't carry a torch for Thortech, but like you said: Nobody has ever reported these results before.

A few things do stand out to me: He put a 40.1A load on the +12V1 rail. That's the 24-pin connector, which only has two +12V wires on it, so you're putting at least 20A on one or maybe both wires. The second thing is, did you see how +12V2 was flashing back and forth between the programmed load and FF.FF? That means the SunMoon is overloaded. The power supply isn't going to blow up... the SunMoon is. Would either of these things cause the ripple to be too high? Probably not, but it does call things into question which makes me question other things.

Maybe the Thunderbolt Plus 1200 sucks balls. Maybe they need to give it a shot on another test setup. *shrug*

At the very least, redistribute those loads and try it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Testing methodology?

I don't know these guys so I can't really judge them and I certainly don't carry a torch for Thortech, but like you said: Nobody has ever reported these results before.

A few things do stand out to me: He put a 40.1A load on the +12V1 rail. That's the 24-pin connector, which only has two +12V wires on it, so you're putting at least 20A on one or maybe both wires. The second thing is, did you see how +12V2 was flashing back and forth between the programmed load and FF.FF? That means the SunMoon is overloaded. The power supply isn't going to blow up... the SunMoon is. Would either of these things cause the ripple to be too high? Probably not, but it does call things into question which makes me question other things.

Maybe the Thunderbolt Plus 1200 sucks balls. Maybe they need to give it a shot on another test setup. *shrug*

At the very least, redistribute those loads and try it again.
    I've actually missed all that.. (now I'm surprised the wires didn't melt)
    I was caught by the "I'm fabulous" style of the editor, which although entertaining, it's clearly out of his waters when talking about the trashy/crappy iPowerMeter which simply doesn't want to report the same values as his AC watt-meter, but considerably lower ones, imagine that..

What stands out to me the most is that they reported identical results for the second unit.. what are the chances for that to happen, considering they were acquired differently and that no other tested sample of this platform performed the same.

I liked the a torch for Thortech part
    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    No one actually tested to my knowledge.
    It's experienced, the same way your perfectly good memory will shut down your system or BSOD the moment you load it, on units with rippletastic minor rails.. I've personally experienced this with a defective TPN.