Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P10 550w Review @ KitGuru

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Default BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P10 550w Review @ KitGuru

http://www.kitguru.net/components/po...0w-psu-review/

3.3v Vreg is slightly worse but 12v is much better than the old P9. The mix of 105*C caps & 85*C caps is gone and now it's all Japanese 105*C.
    Ripple is also much better on the 12v side of things.

Sound pressure levels are also down while the temperature delta is smaller.

EDIT:
    Seems Cmaris review went live just after this one did.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/b...erProP10_550W/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like it, but I don't understand why this isn't fully modular.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

I'd hazard to say, Be Quiet! style. The rubber thing around the 24pin has been the P8 & P9 units of the past.

Like wise, it's not really designed to be fully modular. It'd just end up being a Silverstone style board added on which would probably add to the cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can see where you're going with the "BeQuiet! style", but we all know how well such "style" choices payed for others, PCP&C is a prime example.

As for the partial modualrity, it already looks messy, with the PCIe connectors directly soldered to the main PCB and the modular board fed by wires, it wouldn't have been that hard to cram a 24pin connector there too.
    But yeah, I'm nitpicking, they did a good job and the numbers will look even better for regular users, considering this PSU won't see 50°C ambients, unless they're retailing in Hell.

The price isn't that bad either, considering it's BeQuiet! and MSRP minus 10-20% is to be expected from top retailers.. I'm curious if EVGA will be more aggressive, price wise, with these units.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Well $130 for a Gold / Modular / 500-550w unit is pretty standard. The only competition for 550w's are from Seasonic ($135 MSRP slightly smaller & fully modular, usually retails around $120 though) & Rosewill ($100 MSRP but retails less yet non-modular.)

There's the Lepa G500-MA as well, for around $120 MSRP & retails about $100.

So this price is only a tad higher than most. But it's only MSRP and not what a big retailer like Newegg would sell for (as products generally have a $10 discount off MSRP.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why does not being fully modular matter? It has only main ATX cable hardwired, amirite? And you will be using that one anyway, unless you use it as secondary PSU (which is pretty niche application for a unit that probably doesn't sell in huge volumes anyway).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, considering it's a high end product, it would be really nice to be able to fully sleeve it without voiding the warranty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Like OS said, it's just a matter of opinion really.

I'm actually a fan of having as little cable showing as possible. I don't like the cables being seeing at all. Sleeved or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    I'd hazard to say, Be Quiet! style. The rubber thing around the 24pin has been the P8 & P9 units of the past.

Like wise, it's not really designed to be fully modular. It'd just end up being a Silverstone style board added on which would probably add to the cost.
    The rubber boot is new to me, but I've never seen/reviewed a P8 or P9 before.

As for not being fully modular: If you have a +3.3V, +5V and +12V sense wire, they're going to be crimped in to +3.3V, +5V and +12V leads on the motherboard side of things, but on the power supply side they need to be separate. Even if you run one of the sense wires to the unused -5V pin on the power supply end, you're still going to need a 26-pin connector to accommodate them all. Also, the 24-pin connector takes up so much space, not just for the physical connector, but on the PCB it is attached to. Then the PSU may have to actually be slightly larger in depth (like 190mm instead of 180mm) just to wire up the modular PCB to the main PCB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

P8's & P9's had a joint which only moved up and down.

Though it's more or less the same concept just improved on, since it's more flexible. In my opinion it also looks better but the old design did not look bad to me.

EDIT: Also fully modular designs have an "artificial" extension to the length of the unit since you have to account for the extra 0.7" of space the 24pin cable takes up with the connector as well as the start of the wires which is generally not flexible.