Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cheap quiet PSU, dont care about efficiency (UK)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I'm personally running a Strider Plus 750w in open air less than 2 feet from my ears on a test bench and I do not hear it running at idle.

It uses the same fan and the same profile (e.g. the 135mm DFB1352512H running at 950 RPM till 60% load.)

Sound Pressure is somewhat relative in how loud it really is and more often than not it's the profile of the sound which is more obtuse to the subject listening than the actual intensity of the sound waves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

You can't go down with the voltage any further than 3,5V. If you go further down, the fan stops spinning. There are just a few fans on the market, that are able to work under 3,5V but that's not very reliable.

If you change the fan, you change the whole PSU, so with a weaker fan the PSU isn't able to reach its specified capacity at it's specified operation temperature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mp666 View Post
    I'd go for a 600/650W. Especially considering you can go for another SLI in future. 430W is too low for this system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    That's not true at all, if we're talking about one CPU and one GPU in one system.
    But we're not. He already has a SLI system. GTX590 is a SLI card. Plus he has a CPU OCed to 4.8GHz. A GTX590 system with an OCed CPU generally pulls between 480-520W from the wall under load. Even with a 90% efficiency that's ~430W minimum. I'm sure he'd like his current system to work until he gets a new card. If that's not important, yes he can go with a lower wattage unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mp666 View Post
    But we're not. He already has a SLI system. GTX590 is a SLI card. Plus he has a CPU OCed to 4.8GHz. A GTX590 system with an OCed CPU generally pulls between 480-520W from the wall under load. Even with a 90% efficiency that's ~430W minimum. I'm sure he'd like his current system to work until he gets a new card. If that's not important, yes he can go with a lower wattage unit.
    No, you can run a System with two HD4870X2 and an AMD Phenom X6 1100T with a decent 550W PSU, no overclocking of course.

So your estimates are completely off and I don't understand what the efficiency has to do in your posting.

And, as I stated earlier, a higher wattage PSU means a louder PSU!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, you can run a System with two HD4870X2 and an AMD Phenom X6 1100T with a decent 550W PSU, no overclocking of course.
    Maybe in games, where quad-fire is broken, in that case you get power consumption around levels of 1x4870x2, which is plausible on solid 550W. One 4870x2 can easily pull 300W even sans OC, it's basically the most power hungry non-custom card ever released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Maybe in games, where quad-fire is broken.
    No, quad fire worked fine, according to the power meter. And the system ran Haeven and 3Dmark Vantage (if I recall correctly).

And, as I stated earlier, it was a pretty decent 550W PSU (wich was gold certified, by the way).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    First, we're talking about a GTX590 and a CPU running at 4.8 GHz not the above system.

Second, we're talking about a 430W PSU, not a 550W.

So your estimates are completely off
    There's no "estimation" on my part. Just go to reliable hardware websites and you'll see. And the 480W is minimum. Most pulled more than 500W from the wall. And that's not with Furmark but with games.

and I don't understand what the efficiency has to do in your posting.
    Really ? If something pulls 500W "from the wall", that doesn't mean the system is using 500W. This is where the efficiency factor comes into play. You'll need to learn more about that.

And, as I stated earlier, a higher wattage PSU means a louder PSU!
    No it doesn't mean anything like that. The way the PSU is built determines if it's noisier or not. You can get a fanless 460W Seasonic and it will be quieter than the 300W crap unit you can get. And being fanless is not a requirement for a higher wattage unit to be quieter than a lower wattage unit.