Thread: Measuring Watts/Amps/Volts PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Measuring Watts/Amps/Volts PSU

Hi,
    I briefly considered resurrecting an old Thortech (or older ODIN) thread, but since it that would probably make me unpopular ....

The thing is, i'm going to replace my ODIN GT 800 soon, and since the Nvidia Kepler 600 series seems to be a lot less powerhungry as the 500 series; i see no need to go to a "bigger" PSU, since i am not planning to triple- or quad SLI.

So, i was looking at the Thortech Plus 800 -because i am a sucker for things like the ipower meter

Not because of the bling-factor, but because i find it actually useful, as it is far less inacurate as a $20 gizmo you put between the wall and the PSU. And because it is even a bit better as what the motherboard monitor reports

I've found my ODIN GT extremely usefull, -even with the degree of inacuraccy- to measure idle and load AND temps from 5 spots in my case.
    Combined with hwmonitor reporting on MD/CPU/GPU info, it gave me a good indication on how far i was pushing my luck -in realtime.
    At some point the numbers confirmed something i already knew: Plugging in a MARS II is *really* pushing

Anyways...,

I know there are far better and more efficient PSUs... seasonic comes to mind), but how many are there that offer something like the iPower meter, or the info/control of the ODIN GTs?

I have not run into any (recent) PSUs that offer these kind of things, does anybody know of some? (and IF they exist, are they any good?)

Or an alternative? Some magical device one can plug between the MB & PSU that reports everything (including winning lottery numbers)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

None?

I use the Thortech Plus with the iPower meter myself.

By not being the most efficient power supply on the market, I throw away about ten cents a year in energy costs, but to have the shiny blue LCD in my chassis makes it worth it to pollute the air a little more than my lawn mower already does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cheers,

All hail J!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know there are far better and more efficient PSUs... seasonic comes to mind), but how many are there that offer something like the iPower meter, or the info/control of the ODIN GTs?
    There's one coming pretty soon, actually, launching in about 1 month. EVGA NEX-1500 Classified. Keep your eyes open.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

While the shameless plug is to be expected, 1500W is well beyond overkill here... Don't worry, EVGA PSUs will be noticed even without early announcements.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's the point of an official company account if you can't make a shameless plug now and then? Yes 1500W is excessive, and it might be out of his price range, but it does have the features he wants and if I may say so it's a better implementation than Gigabyte or Thortech came up with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVGA Phaedrus View Post
    What's the point of an official company account if you can't make a shameless plug now and then? Yes 1500W is excessive, and it might be out of his price range, but it does have the features he wants and if I may say so it's a better implementation than Gigabyte or Thortech came up with.
    So what are we to make of Peak Power? Yours, right? I keep checking in to see if you've put up a new PSU.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    So what are we to make of Peak Power? Yours, right? I keep checking in to see if you've put up a new PSU.
    That's Makalu's site, note Phaedrus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No; Mine was HardwareAware and I had about a dozen reviews of PSUs and keyboards up before I let it go defunct due to lack of samples and lazy partners (not one of whom managed a single review; I've gotten better at picking helpers since then).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EVGA Phaedrus View Post
    Interesting assumption ... it is not about $$$ , i dont skimp, i get what i need.

The thing is... for the life of me i've got no idea what i would do with 1500 watts except going tri- or quad-sli and loading up my case with bling-bling cfls and 6000RPM Delta fans just to be able to idle at halfway decent efficientcy. However, it would probably allow me to put the central heating a few notches down

As i type this, hwmonitor tells me the system's pulling +/- 130 Watts, about 100 Watts go to the geforce, and i blame Aero for that

It could be lower if it was a bit colder inhere