Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for components!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It's not bad at all. It's just that OrSi loves aluminium, and Silverstone is mighty crafty with it. Materials and workmanship are a step above Xigmatek's, but concerning ease of use, the two are on par. Midgard II has some added functionality too.

In the end, it's all a matter of taste, and if you really care about materials used and finish applied. Build quality only really comes into play at the low-end, where it's more common to encounter cases that amplify vibrations of coolers and HDDs, side panels that arent flush with the rest of the case, poor quality, easy to bend HDD/ODD cages, zero cable management, poor airflow etc.
    Careful what you wish for... You just might get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah I see. I quite like the Midgard II myself, especially now it's come down to £57 since yesterday (nice timing). I just don't want to buy it then think 'oh no I got the inferior case'. If it's just materials then maybe I'll go with it. I can't claim to know much about materials though, I think aluminium is more pricey usually though!

-----

Edit - Ok, think I've decided on the Jumper 300 and the Xigmatek Midgard II, just going to ask you guys if it's worth buying any more fans for the chassis (if so, what fans would you recommend?), or if the standard ones that come with the case are sufficient? Reviews on it mention something about the fans but I don't honestly know that much about fans!

Thanks, nice to have made a definite decision!
    Last edited by vettieboo; 05-10-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good choices, the standard fans will suffice with the hardware you have now... with a higher end CPU and/or VGA you might want to add a couple more(intake + exhaust).
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hate to sound silly but what would intake and exhaust require? More for future planning than right now, I'm going to go order the Midgard now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An intake fan pushes air inside the case while an exhaust fan pushes it outside... you currently have one intake fan(mounted in front) and an exhaust fan(mounted in the back)... it's best to balance the air intake with the exhaust, maybe have a slightly larger intake to generate a slight positive pressure inside the case, it will keep it clean(keeps dust from filling the case) without negatively impacting the temps.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see, that makes more sense now, thank you!
    I'm just glad everything is now ordered and three people are getting reliable, good quality components! (No more cheap PSUs are coming in this house!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Enjoy your new gear!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok...maybe one more thing.
    If I wanted to create a positive air pressure in the case (less dust is always nice) where would be the best place to put another 120/140mm fan (on the Midgard at least)? Now I realise how cheap fans are I may get one just to up the intake. Also is there things I should look out for on these fans, not bothered about lighting!

Thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vettieboo View Post
    Ok...maybe one more thing.
    If I wanted to create a positive air pressure in the case (less dust is always nice) where would be the best place to put another 120/140mm fan (on the Midgard at least)? Now I realise how cheap fans are I may get one just to up the intake. Also is there things I should look out for on these fans, not bothered about lighting!

Thank you!
    You should mount the fan either on the bottom of the case or in front next to one already there.

Look for ultra-quiet, low RPM fans, you don't need massive airflow inside the case... I would suggest you get a couple of air filters for the intake fans though... something like this(aluminum filter, easy to wash)... and for fans you should look at something like this or maybe this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Will I need one for the pre-installed intake or is that unlikely? Just want to make sure I'm ordering the right things!