Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for components!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are many aspects to consider when picking a case... design, materials, layout, the quality of of the work done with each component and the product as a whole, airflow, etc... I personally can't find any shortcoming for the FT01, and I think the Jumper G300 makes a great choice as well...
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, for around 120 pounds, you could go for the FT01 and the OCZ ZS 550, or maybe the Corsair CX430v2 or maybe the XFX-Core 450w, any of which would power such a system in their sleep.

All those are from the same store that's discounting the FT01 (which is a great case, if a little dated in design), which will save you money on the delivery.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm thanks for that, I'll give those a look too.

Now I've been looking my mother has asked for a new PSU too, so I'll probably end up with another Jumper G300 for her too. She's running a dual core AMD Athlon (about 3 years old, so I think that it wont be that power hungry) and I think it would still be fine even with a newer graphics card (she'll be looking to upgrade, but never dual graphics).

Does it make much difference having a bronze or gold efficient PSU? Other than the % difference of course! I take it the FT01 is a winner here then? I think I need to read up more on cases now.

-------------------

Edit - Brother wants me to ask what advantages/disadvantages are to this motherboard Biostar A880GU3 when compared to the Asus M5A78L that was mentioned earlier. I think that the Biostar has better onboard graphics but the Asus has greater longevity. Is that true? Thanks.
    Last edited by vettieboo; 05-10-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Indeed that board has better integrated graphics.... this even more so, but that shouldn't matter(too much) since you plan on adding a discrete VGA.

As for the PSUs suggested by miss Kat.. I'd still pick the Jumper )
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think he suggested it because his friend is trying to help out with motherboards. Unfortunately said brother is clueless about the motherboards themselves so relies on me to make sense of it all. I'm pretty sure he could get the Asus, plug in a decent graphics card (such as the ATI HD6770) and then it'd be as good as that Biostar I hope? Unless I'm missing something.

Haha that Jumper is already being ordered for brother and mother, after explaining that my mother's system without a graphics card wont be a problem on a 300W. Even if she puts one in its still going to be with a dual core processor (unless she quad-cores that...but then you suggested the Jumper for my quad-core system too!)

Starting to think I can't really afford the FT01, it's going to be about £82...is that going to be a bit much for my system? The Midgard was £57 ish, so it's a bit of a difference.

Now I'm going around in circles! This is what happens when I have choices ha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FT01 + Jumper 300G fits your budget, and again.. plenty for the type of graphics cards you're looking at. Here's a review of the version ebuyer is selling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

See I was a little confused as to what model was selling. Any advantage for the average user of having the Planet3dnow.de Edition compared to the normal? I didn't really see it mentioned on Ebuyer it was that model haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Superior capacitors -> more reliable than the standard version, slightly better output quality(which was very good to begin with).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So...in plain speak...'better' :P
    So should I just go for the FT01 and the Jumper then? I don't claim to understand much about cases but is the Midgard II that bad? Ha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vettieboo View Post
    So...in plain speak...'better' :P
    So should I just go for the FT01 and the Jumper then? I don't claim to understand much about cases but is the Midgard II that bad? Ha.
    The Midgard II is not bad... the FT01 is simply a higher end product... you should go for the one you like the most.