Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Advice needed for components!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could do, but that would mean putting more money in. I think I'll just try and set it up without if possible, is there a better fan to put in the mobo (intake or exhaust)? Thanks, ordered the fans and filters now (although apparently one is out of stock so I need to chase that up tomorrow!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It doesn't really matter.. do it the way it's most comfortable for you...

I can't find any specific details on the fan controller... but most decent ones are rated for at least 0.6A per channel.. so it shouldn't have any problems with two fans per channel since those are 0.3A rated fans.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I honestly wouldn't know what adaptor I'd need and I don't know if the controller would work with it either. Not doubting you, but I can't find the specifics on it either!

----

Only specs I see are these. Don't really know if that helps though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, according to specifications it wont... doesn't matter really, connect one of the fans to a motherboard header and the other three to the controller.
    "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" - Unknown (but sometimes attributed to Sigmund Freud)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just thought I'd be thorough and hunt down more figures. Couldn't find anything on the manufacturer's site (You'd think it would be there!) but it mentions fan voltage and amps on here for the fan I'm getting. It may not change anything but I spent too long looking to not post it ha.

If it does require a motherboard header connection, should I put in one of the standard fans or the new ones I'm getting? Or does it not matter...

Edit - may not be for my fan after all...trying to track down amps is mad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vettieboo View Post
    Just thought I'd be thorough and hunt down more figures. Couldn't find anything on the manufacturer's site (You'd think it would be there!) but it mentions fan voltage and amps on here for the fan I'm getting. It may not change anything but I spent too long looking to not post it ha.

If it does require a motherboard header connection, should I put in one of the standard fans or the new ones I'm getting? Or does it not matter...

Edit - may not be for my fan after all...trying to track down amps is mad.
    I couldn't find any info on the Mindgard II fans so I safely assumed 0.3A value for each fan... but with the 0.15A rating of the two AC fans, you're safe to put all of them on the controller(it's highly unlikely the two stock fans will draw more than 0.3A each)... so put two stock fans on separate connectors and the two AC fans on the remaining connector using a spliter.

As for which fan you should connect to the motherboard, it doesn't matter really.. and with the above in mind, you probably won't need to connect any of them to the motherboard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post
    I couldn't find any info on the Mindgard II fans so I safely assumed 0.3A value for each fan... but with the 0.15A rating of the two AC fans, you're safe to put all of them on the controller(it's highly unlikely the two stock fans will draw more than 0.3A each)... so put two stock fans on separate connectors and the two AC fans on the remaining connector using a spliter.

As for which fan you should connect to the motherboard, it doesn't matter really.. and with the above in mind, you probably won't need to connect any of them to the motherboard.
    I'll probably try checking the fans when I get them, I'll also see what they state for the arctic cooling ones I've ordered, see if it states amps or not. If not I can try just plugging one in a motherboard, don't want to try guessing if I'm not 100% on the model

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another question, might as well tack it on here.

I was looking to see if there are graphics cards that would be an upgrade from my current card (HD 5750) but was wary of my power usage from some of the higher rated cards, considering that unlike my brother I have a quad core for the jumper 300G system. I've tried looking it up and that the HD 6850 looked like an upgrade, was also looking at the 7700 series since they're very power efficient, but I doubt it'd be much of an upgrade from my current card! Would it be a bit much for the 300G to have a 6850, or would the 6850 be fine with the 955 BE. I'd be open to any Nvidia options, as I really have no clue on them (always bought AMD/ATI), but I hear they have high power usage.

I will note (since it helps) that I have only 1 HD, 1 DVD/RW, going to have 4 fans and a controller, Asus M4A785TD-V Evo motherboard, 2 sticks of DDR3 (cheap I remember) RAM.

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easily sufficient for a 6850
    Though a 7770 would be a better option... or if budget permits it, a 7850

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the budget would stretch to 7850 any time soon, but I'll keep an eye out for some 7770 sales, I do like the 7000 series I just don't see any at a good enough price. Same for the 6850, hits the sweet spot of price/performance for me.

Thanks again, nice to know where it stands. Now to just wait for my case/fans/PSU to arrive next week ha!

Edit - Case and PSU arrived today, happy to report that it seems we did get the Planet3dnowde Edition, connections match the hardware secrets review. Good to know! (Funnily enough the box seemed to suggest it was the original power supply, not the upgraded edition. Oh well! I'm very happy for the price. Going to wait for the fans and filters and then I'll be good to go.

Also: That Xigmatek Midgard II is heavy! Quite a bit more weight than my cheap case haha.
    Last edited by vettieboo; 05-14-2012 at 06:52 PM.