Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about amps taken from the wall when turning on the PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question about amps taken from the wall when turning on the PSU.

Hello guys,

I have a question. How much amps can a PSU draw from the wall when turned on with the switch on its back ? I know its a draw of miliseconds but i ve had a Seasonic X-1250 that would pop out my electricity in the flat and i ve snet it to warranty and they gave me 2 new in a row and they did the same thing . Then they tested the last one for like 2 months and said its working 100% ok. A friend of mine told me it can be low "resistance" of my fuse. The fuse of my room circuit is rated at 15Amps max and my friend told me i should buy a 21 AMP fuse or more and it should stop. Is it possible that the PSU when turned on with the back switch can draw more than 15A and make the fuse pop out ?

EDIT: I forgot to add that i ve tested Enermax Reolution 87+ 1000W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W and they did this too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Let me guess... AFCI breaker? Sometimes they do this.

http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/a...t_breakers.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The AFCI braker doesnt trip off. Only the fuse for my room. They replaced electrical isntallation in my block and they replaced fuses . Before i didnt experience those problems . I had this with 5 fdiffrent psu which were 3 diffrent models , 1 was even diffrent brand. Should i replace the fuse for my room for one that is rated at 22A ? I jsut want to add that my installation is 230V as i live in EU. Anyway it only happened when i tuend off the psu fro mbehind to change something in the PC and then when i turned on the fuse would trip off..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fuses don't trip off... they melt open and you buy a new one.

I would consult an electrician.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi izajasz

could you please try this way....

if u happen to change something on your pc, just unplug the powercord & leave the power switch at on position.

after u finish with your pc, you just plug the powercord again and see whether it will trip off again.

hope u understand my broken english

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ye , i understand. The way You say its working without the problem but i am wondering why using the switch on the back triggers such reaction... Maybe about saying "fuse" i misspelled something as my english is not perfect too especially electrical engineering english xd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe you meant a circuit breaker instead of fuse

so what i suggest to you is working well?

maybe some expert here like jonny, wolf, etc can explain more about this. i believe it's because the inrush current. some psu is designed to have quite big amperage jump the first time we turn on the psu (it happen to my old fsp saga/ax-450pn). i already ask fsp about this and they told me they can't do anything about it since its by design.

i just try to do what i told you before so it won't trip off my circuit breaker, anytime i turn on my pc after doing something with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah it is possible , ym friend told me that it can be caused by capacitor loading and then it releases higher AMPS by design but i wanted to make sure since i never experienced such things before they changed the electrical isntallation in my flat block...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

In rush is caused when the primary components of the power supply are charged, so your friend is kind of correct.

You have a 22A breaker (not fuse) for your room and its tripping when you flip the switch on the PSU? @ 230V, there's no way that you're putting so much of an in-rush load on that circuit to trip that breaker.

Wolf is probably correct, it's probably a GFCI breaker in your box sensing the in-rush as an arc-fault. I don't suggest replacing the GFCI breaker with a standard breaker as the GFCI is to current code. Maybe someone here can suggest a way to bypass a GFCI breaker on a particular outlet. I've never had to do it myself, so I don't want to give you blind advice. When I used to dabble in audio equipment (some receivers and amps will do the same thing to GFCI's), I remember there was a way you could get by making a special power cord with a cap between the hot and neutral and another between neutral to ground, but I've forgotten a lot of data over the years.

Of course, if you got a line conditioner or UPS, it would solve your problem because the current will have to go through a large transformer before energizing your PSU, and by then the GFCI will be oblivious to anything happening at the PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The breaker may be defective or not installed properly, which is why I suggested consulting an electrician.