Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadest PSU ever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Deadest PSU ever

What happens when you give me a DC load bank?

I zorch stuff.

What happens when it doesn't die as explosively as I like?

I zorch it more.

For instance, this L&C junker (I think it was the L&C, I burned about four PSUs that day). I played cat and mouse with it trying to load it just enough to blow one of the switchers without it succumbing to the just as final but less entertaining death of a rectifier popping. Unfortunately after loading it up to about 300W, with the +12V rail oscillating between 9V and 11V, I hit the short test button for the +5V rail and the unit shut down, never to turn on again. Silent death: no smoke, no sparks.

So I tore its guts out.

Then I poured liquid nitrogen on it and smashed it with a hammer.

Then I smashed it with a hammer some more.

I don't think I need to worry about that unit any more.

The next day I found some more crap. This one is apparently an "ADT CS-300". It had voltage out of spec at 50W with 3A on the +12V. Oh boy.

However it was a tough mother hubbard. The voltage got worse and worse but it refused to lay down and die no matter how I tormented it. It finally burned at around ~300W with 20A on the +12V. That rail was showing between 7V and 9V with dips to 5V and spikes to 12.5V. After about fifteen seconds at that load blue smoke started seeping out of the corners of the unit and a stench of burnt plastic filled the air. It smoked for about forty five seconds, then popped and died.

Hm, I wonder what burned?

Oh.

lol

Dead.

In comparison, the Delta DPS-200PB-112B 200W SFF unit I pulled out of a Dell runs reliably at 225W load for thirty hours, and the OPP reliably shuts it down at between 230W and 235W. I like Delta more and more.

My thirst for blood is slated. Now I just need to convince them to let me take the load bank home.
    Last edited by EVGA Phaedrus; 04-22-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i thought it'd be classified

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This gets my nomination for underwhelming thread of the month.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
    This gets my nomination for underwhelming thread of the month.
    but, he zorched stuff...
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since this thread is useless without pitchers...

Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pitchers, you say?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, technical issues (crappy motel internet and gigantic hi-res jpegs do not mix). I'll put them up today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More dead than a Diablotek straight out of the box?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pictures added.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Delta is still working great today. Have it set to 13A@+12V, 6A@+5V, 5A@+3.3v, and 0.8A@+5VSB. +12V reads a little low at 11.73V according to the tester and 11.78V according to the Fluke, but considering this was in a $300 Dell system I'm impressed nonetheless. It's in spec, and it can run overloaded for more than a day, and it has OPP and +12V OCP, and it has SCP on all rails except the standby. It's a good little unit.

The others... There was an ancient Zippy unit that was out of spec when I plugged it in; I didn't torment it too much, it was obviously faulty before I even loaded it.

There was an older Seventeam 350W that had working OPP. I couldn't manage to kill it, but I put it out of spec without even crossloading.

There was an Enhance 350W that wouldn't die but had crap voltage regulation.

There was the L&C, which died quietly before being smashed to pieces.

Correction, the unit with two diodes for the +12V that smoked and popped was the random brand, an "ADT CS-300". It's pretty crappy.

And finally the unbranded unit has the model # "DR-B235W". It died quietly fifteen minutes into testing at 200W load.

Three dead out of seven random units tested. Not a great tally, but not bad either I think.