Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Lepa G1600-MA 1600W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the section of the review where Wolf dissected the unit, is that big silver rectangle to the left just a huge block of solder? Why?
    Seasonic X560

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Killy View Post
    On the section of the review where Wolf dissected the unit, is that big silver rectangle to the left just a huge block of solder? Why?
    I'd guess that huge pad is just conductor for common ground on secondary, but I might be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It's a piece of copper replacing the four shunt resistors used in Enermax's Platimax/MaxRevo multi-rail designs.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi OklahomaWolf,

I wanted to find out about your recent review you did on the Lepa G1600 (found here):

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory3&reid=283

vs. your review of the Silverstone ST1500 you did a few years back (found here):

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory3&reid=175

What I did here was highlight the Oscilloscope Results page and wanted to find out, which is still the better PSU? I would be great to get your thoughts. Hope to hear from you soon. PNugg...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would hope the results speak for themselves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To add insult to injury, Silverstone is currently more expensive @Newegg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    I would hope the results speak for themselves
    Ok Wolf, I know about the results (BTW, you did a great job on both reviews), but what about the reputation of the Lepa company. For example, I KNOW the guys personally at Silverstone Tek - at the California Offices (Joel - Head Tech Support & David - Returns Tech Person). Is there an office here that Lepa (or Enermax or Ecomaster). I mean who would I call to not only return something but also build an establishing relationship. I would also think that would still exists. Or at least that's what Silverstone has ALWAYS provided. It's not just about how much better the G1600 is over the ST1500, it's the whole picture.

The reason why I'm differing to you is because you're the ONLY ONE (so far) that has done this expansive and thorough testing. So please let me know what you can... Thanks...
    Last edited by PunkNugget; 04-24-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    To add insult to injury, Silverstone is currently more expensive @Newegg.
    Expense has NOTHING to do with it. Believe me, I'm learning some painful lessons (like we all have) as we try to save a few dollars here and there... So I can't go for that.

In fact what's more concerning is that you have such a great PSU (with the Lepa G1600) but why less $$$? Cheaper parts, or is it that these PSUs are changing to make things more efficient with less expensive parts. I mean when Wolf opened the G1600 PSU I said to myself - "where is everything?" Very clean, tight internal setup; very unlike the Silverstone ST1500. That thing is filled to rim with all kinds of parts, heatsinks, etc. That's what is very puzzling to me.

Like I just said, Maybe the newer PSU circuitry is changing and things are becoming better and more efficient. But that's where I'm differing to Wolf and anyone else who understands this better than I. Thanks...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very unlike the Silverstone ST1500. That thing is filled to rim with all kinds of parts, heatsinks, etc. That's what is very puzzling to me.

Well, if you do some searching,see middle of this page:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cas..._10.html#sect0

I think you will find that the ST1500 is two 750 units crammed into one case. So yes, the Newer PSU is based on a different technology.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Well, if you do some searching, I think you will find that the ST1500 is two 750 units crammed into one case. So yes, the Newer PSU is based on a different technology.
    I think you're confusing it with a PUC. The ST1500 is not made up of two separate units.
    Main: i5 2500K@4.6GHz w/Zalman CNPS10X Performa, Intel DZ68BC, 8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600, PNY GTX 470 + EVGA GTX 470, ASUS Xonar DX, ADATA S510 120GB, Samsung 1TB F3+1TB F1+2TB F4, Kingwin LZG 1kW, Lian-Li PC-9F, Dell U2212HM+S2209W, Win7 Professional.
    Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, i5 2410M, 8GB DDR3-1333, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 1GB, Intel X25-M 80GB, Seagate Momentus 750GB, Win7 Home Premium.