Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do I stop windows going bad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default how do I stop windows going bad

every time I get the same problem, not long after installing and same for software, windows slows down to a chug, is there anyway I can stop this from happening please? thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Install a proper antivirus and stop installing all the crap applications, video codec packs, toolbars and so on.

Use a player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema to play videos without any need to install codecs.
    Use Firefox or Chrome to browse the net safely.
    Use a proper antivirus like Eset NOD32 or Avira or whatever else is cool these days.

Set your Windows' page file to a fixed size of 3-4 GB and after a reboot, defragment your windows drive using a good software like o&o defrag.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mariush For This Useful Post:

GDILord (04-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    Install a proper antivirus and stop installing all the crap applications, video codec packs, toolbars and so on.

Use a player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema to play videos without any need to install codecs.
    Use Firefox or Chrome to browse the net safely.
    Use a proper antivirus like Eset NOD32 or Avira or whatever else is cool these days.

Set your Windows' page file to a fixed size of 3-4 GB and after a reboot, defragment your windows drive using a good software like o&o defrag.
    +1 on all above, except for defragmenter - O&O Defrag is shareware (and is quite pricey), SmartDefrag 2 is great free alternative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

O&O Defrag was one of the few defragmenters (at the time I evaluated software) that was smart enough to move the fixed page file to the start of the drive.

If the page file was not of fixed size, it moved it somewhere around the 60% of the drive, where it would make the most free space around it so that Windows could enlarge or shrink it with as little fragmentation as possible.

As for the price... I'm from East Europe... when I was younger and didn't have the good job I have now, I used to pirate a lot of software so I didn't care about the price. Nowadays, I tend to buy the software I need (windows, antivirus, programming tools etc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Auslogics has a free defrag doubling as screen saver. Set once and forget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't stop Windows from going bad.

It's just Bad to the Bone!

The best way to run Windows is from within a Virtual Machine being run under a responsible OS like Linux or Mac OSX.

This way, you can save snapshots of your Windows installation and easily restore it to a point where it was no Badder than usual, or maybe even Less Bad than Usual if you're lucky.

Never mind me, I'm an AntiMicrosoftian
    The More You Learn, The Less You Know!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My way of dealing with Windows, is to use WD True Image free software to clone my OS onto another HDD, and once done I disconnect it for safety. I will re-connect it about once a month to update it - MS/software updates etc. and then disconnect again.

Should the daily OS get broken for some reason, then I can just connect the 'master' HDD and clone it on to the bad HDD. Takes about 30-40 minutes, and all is well again.

This method has served me well for a few years, and not had to re-install an OS from scratch , which drives me nuts.

HDD's are pretty cheap these days, so it doesn't bother me to use a spare to keep 'master copies' on.

Others may disagree of course.
    Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    My way of dealing with Windows, is to use WD True Image free software to clone my OS onto another HDD, and once done I disconnect it for safety.
    Unless you use that method also to back up large data like videos, any flash nand device would work about as well as a mechanical hard drive: for instance I use Clonezilla and a large USB pen on a laptop.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianm2 View Post
    every time I get the same problem, not long after installing and same for software, windows slows down to a chug, is there anyway I can stop this from happening please? thanks

How long?

How much RAM do you have

CPU?

What version of Windows and are you installing from scratch

What extra 'utilities' have you installed
    Last edited by ashiekh; 01-23-2018 at 09:57 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post:

GDILord (04-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Admittedly, much of this rot is self-inflicted. A lot of Windows applications, particularly device drivers, aren't well written. Add a pile of dodgy apps and a smattering of drivers to a clean Windows installation.