Thread: Corsair TXM@[H]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair TXM@[H]

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/02/0...upply_review/1

At the TX550M's current $89.99 ($79.99 after MIR) price point there is stiff competition from the likes of XFX with its 550W Core Edition for $69.99 ($54.99 after MIR). The TX750M is currently priced at $129.99 ($114.99 after MIR). If these units are going to be truly competitive both models need SIGNIFICANT price cuts before these would be close to award worthy. These two Corsair PSUs just pass our testing without being outstanding in any significant way. The TX55M and TX750M PSUs need to provide significant values for users before these could be considered for [H] awards. Unfortunately, today, Corsair’s modular TX series is just a confused product line that currently lacks value for users so there are no awards to be had.
    I very much agree with that. In PL there is little reason to pick TXM over Thermaltake XT x75W, which provide more power for the price and are more modular. TXM may be a bit quieter (if I remember fan curves correctly), but it still probably isn't BQ/Modu87+ territory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good review

I dont really see and advantage over the v2 here but if i had to pick something at this price the rosewill capstone's are a good buy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The>judge View Post
    good review

I dont really see and advantage over the v2 here but if i had to pick something at this price the rosewill capstone's are a good buy
    The advantage is that they're modular, but that's about it.

Honestly, they're not bad units, but they seem to be a bit of a waste when you consider the numbers punched in by other units on the market.

The problem is that other modular 550w / 650w units do offer a better value & performance (like the OCZ ZT units) and do come in fully modular varieties.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TXM are decent units, but for the price, there are better options. It's only part-modular, and the 650w unit still lacks sufficient PCI-E cabling to make full use of it. While this is to stop it treading too much on the silver rated HX, it puts them in an odd position.
    They have too many fixed cables to be really counted as modular in almost any situation, and the cost is too high. While the legendary Corsair support is always worth something, there are better options.
    I replaced my old TX650 when I got a second GTX460, and not because it couldn't handle the output, it just didn't have the available cables to do it without adapters. The TX650v2 and TXM650 still don't have 4 PCI-e cables to this day, something reserved for the HX650...
    So I went with Silverstone and Enhance, and got a high quality 850w fully modular unit for about the same price as the TXM.

And still to this day, the Strider+ 750 is 7 pounds more than the TXM750 and the original Strider Gold is in the same bracket too. The TXM even manages to cost more than the TPN750 and XFX XXX 750, which are both nearly fully modular.
    Intel i7-2600k with an XSPC Raystorm water block, 4x4GB Corsair Dominator, SLi Evga-GTX560Ti-448 FTWs, Asrock Extreme4 Gen3, Crucial M4 256GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, powered by a Silverstone Strider+ 850 PSU in a Silverstone TJ-07BW case.
    I'm not buying EK GPU blocks ever again. (One GPU killed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allikat View Post
    The TX650v2 and TXM650 still don't have 4 PCI-e cables to this day, something reserved for the HX650...
    What's funny is that XFX Core 650W (based on the same platform as Corsair TX650v2) has 4xPCIe, and it's priced the same as Corsair.
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    The advantage is that they're modular, but that's about it.

Honestly, they're not bad units, but they seem to be a bit of a waste when you consider the numbers punched in by other units on the market.

The problem is that other modular 550w / 650w units do offer a better value & performance (like the OCZ ZT units) and do come in fully modular varieties.
    get what you saying but at the same time corsair are cutting it too fine between the v2 and hx series with this