Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LG Electronics: A Rant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Exclamation LG Electronics: A Rant

Hello, forum peoples. This could make for an interesting review, but Wolfie's too furious to be objective. So, I'm going to blast away in here, so that people will get some idea of what kind of company LG is turning out to be, at least for us Canadians.

In July of last year, I bought an M2780D LED backlit 27" monitor/TV from NCIX for $299.99 on sale. Bought the 30 day zero dead pixel guarantee, too. I get the monitor, I hook it up, everything's good... for 35 days. Then, on that 35th day I'm using it, and:

Great. Line city. I contact NCIX just in case they're willing to make a 35th day exception to that dead pixel guarantee. Nope, call LG. So, I contact LG and set up an RMA. This part went easy. I send the monitor to Whitby, I sit back in my chair, and wait. And wait. And wait.

One month later, I contact LG asking where my monitor is. The guy says, "Well, that's odd. Let me talk to my service guy, here." Ten minutes later, I had a tracking number for the replacement. After another week, this refurb shows up:

That, folks, is the wrong monitor. That is an M2762D, an old (and at the time much cheaper) model lacking some features of the 2780 with a CCFL backlight. Did not want, but figured if they could give me a good excuse why they sent it, I may be willing to keep it. So, I called them up.

This is when the rant really gets going. They told me NCIX sold me a model not intended for sale in Canada, and that in an attempt to make me happy they still tried to send me something. Don't worry, the one I got was just as good. His tone was flippant. La de da, we're LG, always taking care of you customers... you can see how awesome we are, right?

I was not a happy Wolfie. I got in touch with NCIX. They were not a happy NCIX. They contacted LG for me. After weeks more back and forth exchanges, they finally owned up to the fact that the M27880D was in fact a legitimate Canadian model and I was entitled to warranty service on it.

So I wait, and wait, and wait, and finally a replacement refurbed M2780D shows up. Hooray! I plug it in, try to turn it on, and nothing happens. Boo! I grab the remote and try to turn it on - it does, with a perfect picture. Hooray! I try the front panel again - nothing. Boo!

Now four months after my original purchase, I decided the front panel control issue wasn't a big deal as long as it worked with the remote. And for two more months, I was indeed a happy Wolfie.

And then... last Friday, I made the mistake of gently wiping the dust off the screen:

Sigh. I contact LG again.

"As our warranty options have changed, monitors are no longer exchange, they are serviced locally. Please call our customer service line at 1-888-542-2623 to arrange service locally."

Oh, great. I know where this is going. But I call in anyway this morning, just to see what they say. Sure enough, they want me to bring this thing to the nearest service center. Which, by the way, is 400km away. I inform the rep of this little fact, and he says I can send it up there on their Purolator account. "Yeah, and be without a monitor again until the warranty runs out and you don't have to do anything," I want to tell him but don't, because he actually sounds like a nice guy just doing his job.

Instead, I just hung up. I'm done with LG. This company will do all it can to avoid honoring the warranty, and as an electronics tech I cannot stand this attitude toward their customers.

This monitor is now going to play second fiddle in my office to a $90 Acer I originally bought as its "temporary" replacement. The warranty is useless, so I'll crack it open and see what I can do for it myself. Likely needs a new panel, but I won't do that. It's also clear to me this is a defect prone panel. The new one might last a week or a month, but I have zero confidence in it.

Anyway... fairly warned be thee, says I. Buy LG at your own risk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Lucky Goldstar is not so lucky?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Heh - actually they are kind of lucky. I don't live anywhere near HQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My brother RMAd his LG monitor (L245WP-BN) once and it wasn't a pleasant experience either. It had its matrix replaced and it was returned within a week. That's fine, but... overall display quality was way worse than before, especially viewing angles. It looked pretty much like they inserted TN matrix (while it originally had MVA). My bro phoned them and they said that matrixes are interchangeable, and there's no difference between TN and MVA. Just... LOL.
    But, after some calls they finally gave in, took the monitor again and this time returned it with MVA matrix.
    Xeon X3440 @3,1GHz + GTX660 + 2x4GB @1650MHz CL9 + Corsair RM650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

feel your pain.

In the process of RMA right now on Crucial M4 128 SSD.

Stops working at 4000 hours..

Known issue.

Firmware description has 24 pages of customers who can not get the firmware patch to work.

I've been around the block a few years....tried usb, tried AHCI, tried 5 different methods of extraction or ISO burning to see if I could get it to work....FAIL.

So...
    Go to RMA....and they will not allow on web page. You need to talk with them direct.

WHAT

you know it is broke, you know that your firmware update process is complete excrement..(at least you would know if you read your own forums)

But you won't issue an RMA unless I get on the phone and beg my case

Another supplier bites the dust for my rigs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yojo2 View Post
    My bro phoned them and they said that matrixes are interchangeable, and there's no difference between TN and MVA. Just... LOL.
    Oh, lovely. These people continue to find new ways to surprise me.

NCIX is very interested in what's going on with this monitor yet, it seems. I better wait on the whole cracking it open part. Not that it isn't obvious that the refurb tech did a hatchet job on the bezel himself

Ah well. I just don't care at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I'm very picky about monitor brands, because even in the US You get this sort of run-around.
    Samsung wanted me to drop a monitor off at a repair center in Chicago and I live in the Saint Louis area. A 6 hour drive to have my monitor fixed? I don't think so.

Right now I only recommend and purchase from Asus and Dell due to their warranty services being respectable. Especially since Asus will flip you a new monitor while the old one is being repaired (if they can't just send you a direct replacement already.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Funny you should bring Samsung up. The LG's replacement is a 24" Sammy. Currently on its way back to NCIX due to *gasp* a stuck pixel.

At least they aren't jerking me around on the dead pixel guarantee this time. Guess it helps when it's got problems on day one right out of the box.

Get this - the LG failed within 30 minutes of me opening the Samsung's box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    Get this - the LG failed within 30 minutes of me opening the Samsung's box.
    It should be pretty obvious that LG monitor has noticed you cheating on it with a Samsung, and made a revenge in the form of dead pixels. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Heh - yeah. What it fails to understand is that I'm going to be cheating on it twice as often now. Replacement TV of choice so far is another Samsung. Maybe Panasonic if the prices are right.

Wasn't too terribly impressed with the color on the Sammy 24, but didn't really get to play with it much before it went back in the box.

Meanwhile, the old BenQ G2400WD is plugging along happily with its new (as of last year) capacitors. It's not that bright anymore, but I'm happy it's working. Another monitor that required the dead pixel guarantee - my first one had a big blotch of them. Only took one replacement to get a good one.